iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grape vines

Started by 96Snake719, January 17, 2021, 10:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

96Snake719

Hi guys. Would like to get out and take care of some grape vines this year. What's the best time of year to cut and treat them, and what herbicide does everyone use? Thank you.

bitternut

Welcome to the forum. It's always helpful to give a general location of your property since the forestlands of the world can be quite different.

In my part of the world ( western NY state ) I would wait till they were fully leafed out in mid to late summer. I would cut any vine close to the ground and coat the stump with full strength 41% roundup. Not sure how many vines you will be treating but a small pump sprayer ( such as a Windex spray bottle ) would suffice. Just leave a short stump above the ground and wet the cut to the point of run-off.

If you have any poison ivy vines the same treatment would work to eradicate them also.

Good luck

KEC

It's your call if you want them gone, but you might want to consider leaving some as the grapes are an important food for grouse, turkeys and songbirds. In the hedgerow by my yard I cut enough so they don't destroy the trees, but leave enough so there's food for the birds. Just saying.

CUT N RUN

Quote from: 96Snake719 on January 17, 2021, 10:40:42 AM
Hi guys. Would like to get out and take care of some grape vines this year. What's the best time of year to cut and treat them, and what herbicide does everyone use? Thank yo
depends on how you are gonna-- "take care of"----them ...... you want fruit , or do you want to kill them . if you want fruit , we  trim them when they are not frozen, as early in the year as we can .  as herbicides go ,read literature or contact your state / county , and they can help you . some chemicals you have to ( OR YOU BETTER !! ) get educated before you can buy or handle them ... and some of this applies to how many vines you have . we have--- "some" ----vines , we count them in  acres

96Snake719

Thanks for the replies! I'm in central NY (Pompey). I'll most likely leave some in some of the thicker areas. Just would like to get rid of the majority of them
That are choking out my good trees.

SwampDonkey

Used to be the grape stuck to the river valley here. But a couple of years ago I found a wild one in the back yard about 2" diameter at ground level that had climbed an old pasture spruce. The wind hit that spruce probably the year before and snapped it off the main trunk like a match stick. We're talking a tree close to 30" across at the break.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Andyrson1

Thanks to all of you. Useful for me as well
WorkTime (employee monitoring)

Old Greenhorn

Don't want to hi-jack the OP's thread, more of an extension of it: I am just in the planning stages of a small consulting gig to help a homeowner reclaim some of the fallow parts of their property and make it healthier for the small wildlife while also make it it look nicer and be useable by the family for light recreation. There are lots of grape vines and the landowner would like to cultivate some up over an arbor yet to be constructed, keep some for the birds and wildlife and get rid of a bunch that are choking trees, dead, or otherwise in the way of the project.
 We discussed partial bury of one that is about 2" diameter in a trench and running it  just under ground over to the new arbor rather than transplanting. Is that a do-able thing? How transplantable are these things and what is the best way to do that?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mudfarmer

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 09, 2021, 06:38:31 AM
Don't want to hi-jack the OP's thread, more of an extension of it: I am just in the planning stages of a small consulting gig to help a homeowner reclaim some of the fallow parts of their property and make it healthier for the small wildlife while also make it it look nicer and be useable by the family for light recreation. There are lots of grape vines and the landowner would like to cultivate some up over an arbor yet to be constructed, keep some for the birds and wildlife and get rid of a bunch that are choking trees, dead, or otherwise in the way of the project.
We discussed partial bury of one that is about 2" diameter in a trench and running it  just under ground over to the new arbor rather than transplanting. Is that a do-able thing? How transplantable are these things and what is the best way to do that?
Sounds like a good gig!
I do not know about transplanting wild grape vines but they are very easy to take cuttings from and get them to root. You can often just stick them in a glass of water and they will root. Not sure if this helps or not ;D

Al_Smith

Wild grapes about the size of a pea .Seem to love cherry trees but so does poison ivy for some reason .The squirrels plant nut trees but the birds seem to be the planters of grapes . I'd imagine starlings are the leaders of the pack on things like that .Eat the grapes then practice bombing runs on your newly washed automobile .They have a pretty good aim  too . Wear a hat with a wide brim .

Ron Scott

Keep them well watered!
~Ron

KEC

I knew someone who tried making jelly  with wild grapes, came out very thin and runny. He gave me some and it was great on pancakes.

petefrom bearswamp

Went thru my woods in mid 90s and cut all I could find.
cut at waist height so no bending over.
Cant remember the time of year, but some of them ran water (sap?) like a faucet.
No sprouting, but some are still dead in the tree tops with the stems hanging down to where I cut them.
I should do it again as one area has a couple of dozen.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 11, 2021, 08:11:09 AM
Went thru my woods in mid 90s and cut all I could find.
cut at waist height so no bending over.
Cant remember the time of year, but some of them ran water (sap?) like a faucet.
No sprouting, but some are still dead in the tree tops with the stems hanging down to where I cut them.
I should do it again as one area has a couple of dozen.
I wrap a rope around them attached to the winch on my Mule, pull them down as far as I dare, them cut them off. They shoot back up and are not hanging in my face. Sometimes they are 30' off the ground. Then I cut the stump as low as I can. I hate them things where I don't want them. and I don't want them hardly anywhere. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 09, 2021, 06:38:31 AM
There are lots of grape vines and the landowner would like to cultivate some up over an arbor yet to be constructed, keep some for the birds and wildlife and get rid of a bunch that are choking trees, dead, or otherwise in the way of the project.
We discussed partial bury of one that is about 2" diameter in a trench and running it  just under ground over to the new arbor rather than transplanting. Is that a do-able thing? How transplantable are these things and what is the best way to do that?
All I have done is get some of them with some roots already on them. You can prune the roots so they aren't more than 12" long. Bury them in the mud as early in spring as possible. They'll take this year to establish and next year they'll climb like gang busters. ;D I transplanted some grapes two years ago and had grapes this last summer. Use some good rotten manure on them. :) They don't need to be the main root, anywhere they touch the ground they will set a root. You can cut the stem 12" either side of that root and dig it up, prune them back and bury'm.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: KEC on March 10, 2021, 07:42:28 PM
I knew someone who tried making jelly  with wild grapes, came out very thin and runny. He gave me some and it was great on pancakes.
Sounds like he did not cook it down long enough. Did he add an acid like lemon juice to the mix to help it set? My wife sometimes uses OJ and most recipes say add about 1/4 unripe fruit to the mix for the acid. Our local grapes are about the size of a buckshot, pretty sour, but everything in the woods eats them from birds, squirrels, coons, possums, deer, etc. Every Fall killed turkey I have gotten here had a crop full of grape seeds.

I used to get Muscadines further south and make preserves using the hulls and on a hot biscuit they are to die for. Same as commercial scuppernongs. I have seen them over an inch in diameter in the woods. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Tacotodd

The wild grape vines that my yard is PLAGUED WITH don't produce ANY seeds that I can see. If they do, then they are 30' up or more, you know, out of sight.
Trying harder everyday.

KEC

WV, I don't remember how he made the jelly, that was 30-40 years ago.

WV Sawmiller

When I make mine I squeeze the insides out and set the hulls aside then boil the insides with the seeds while stirring and breaking the pulp open about 10 minutes or until they all break open and the seeds begin to separate from the rest of the pulp. I pour this into a colander to separate the seeds. I add the pulp to the hulls and add about 2/3 to equal amount of sugar and lemon juice or orange juice. The amount varies based on the size of the batch I am making. Maybe a cup for a couple of gallons of muscadines then I cook to a boil and boil and stir with a wooden spoon till the liquid on the spoon starts to jell then I pour it in canning jars and seal the lids tightly. I very seldom have a jar fail to seal. If one does we just refrigerate and eat it first.

I use this same basic recipe for all my fruit jelly, jam and preserves.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KEC

I would be willing to sample some of it for test purposes.

Thank You Sponsors!