iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ground Contact

Started by High_Water, March 17, 2021, 09:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High_Water

I'm using some scrap oak blocks to elevate my stack of stickered wood, and I've got some Coppercoat lying around, so I thought about putting a coat or two on my blocks just for a little added protection. Does Coppercoat do much against boring insects (I've read it doesn't do anything for termites but I'm not really worried about that)? I plan to spray the stack with borate solution but was curious if the Coppercoat did much to protect the stack itself, as in does it discourage bugs traveling up it, which sounds a little ludicrous but I figured it can't hurt to ask.

For my borate solution I planned on a mixture of borax and boric acid, I really don't feel like messing around with all the glycol stuff, mainly out of laziness but also a little out of cheapskatedness. Am I wasting time or is that better than nothing?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I believe it does not protect.  This is important as the blocks could be home to powderpost beetles
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

High_Water

It wouldn't surprise me if ppb's were there. My goal in the next few months is to get my kiln up and running and I'm hoping to have the capability of running a bug kill cycle to take care of the issue, then my air dry stack will be less worrisome.

Thank You Sponsors!