iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To the left, or to the right

Started by lazyflee, April 07, 2021, 06:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyflee

I go right mostly, feels a bit safer since I'm sorta turned that way. Never really thought about it before, but I was cutting today and it popped into my head which way i like better.

thecfarm

I really don't know. Depends on what side of the tree I am on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tacotodd

I'd guess it depends on what you're referring to.
Trying harder everyday.

hedgerow

Its funny you should bring this up. I have two guys that help me process my 15-20 cord of wood a year and two of us are right handed and we mostly cut to the right and one is left handed and I see him mostly cutting to the left. I bought this up to them over the winter and neither one notice which way they normally cut. Since I run the Bobcat a lot feeding them logs I notice things like this. 

Tacotodd

I just saw the voting part. I go from left to right, so as to take full advantage of the bar for a measuring tape of sorts. That way I'm getting my cuts as close to consistent as possible. But now that I think about it, it's just as easy going r to l. These are for 16" chunks BTW. 
Trying harder everyday.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thriceor

Usually to the left.  I am left handed in most of my endeavors, but not all.  An interesting survey, especially when taking into account predominant side.
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

jmur1

My right hand is on the trigger and my (writing hand) left is on the handle.  Prefer cuts to the right.  But could do either if had to.  If I switch hands on the trigger it feels wrong! 
Easy does it

cutterboy

When the log is on the ground it's usually among obstacles like trees and rocks and brush and other logs. Just as Corley says, I take the path of least resistance, often moving from one side of the log to the other and that would change from cutting from the right to cutting from the left or the other way around.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Big_eddy

When  I am cutting logs from a pile, I roll them out onto stringers until I have about 10 logs laid out 12"-18" apart.
Then I stand between the first and second log, facing outward, at one end. Start the saw, cut, left, cut, left, cut, left, cut ...  until I hit the end. Step backwards over log 2 (between 2 and 3) roll it forward until it's up against the blocks just cut , then cut, step right ... to the end.
One step back - roll the log a bit forward, cut, left, cut, left ........... Basically a big back and forth zig zag pattern until all 10 logs are blocks.

Shut off the saw and I have ~100 blocks to pick up and split. If the logs average 12" in dia, that's a bit more than a cord of wood in blocks.

Clean those up and roll out the next 10 logs.

The first left or right depends on which way the wind is blowing (really) 
I locate the splitter so the exhaust is downwind of the operator - so sometimes it is on one side of the stringer row, sometimes the other. Every time I finish cutting a group, I put the saw down by the splitter, safely out of the way of the next batch of rolling logs. So the first cut is always on the splitter end - which varies depending on the wind

TmbrWlkr

Quote from: Big_eddy on April 14, 2021, 10:01:50 PM
When  I am cutting logs from a pile, I roll them out onto stringers until I have about 10 logs laid out 12"-18" apart.
Then I stand between the first and second log, facing outward, at one end. Start the saw, cut, left, cut, left, cut, left, cut ...  until I hit the end. Step backwards over log 2 (between 2 and 3) roll it forward until it's up against the blocks just cut , then cut, step right ... to the end.
One step back - roll the log a bit forward, cut, left, cut, left ........... Basically a big back and forth zig zag pattern until all 10 logs are blocks.

Shut off the saw and I have ~100 blocks to pick up and split. If the logs average 12" in dia, that's a bit more than a cord of wood in blocks.

Clean those up and roll out the next 10 logs.

The first left or right depends on which way the wind is blowing (really)
I locate the splitter so the exhaust is downwind of the operator - so sometimes it is on one side of the stringer row, sometimes the other. Every time I finish cutting a group, I put the saw down by the splitter, safely out of the way of the next batch of rolling logs. So the first cut is always on the splitter end - which varies depending on the wind

Sounds like a system based on a lot of firewood processed 👍

711ac

I never cut at ground level, but while the log is suspended by a machine or on my "table" I usually cut to the right. I hold a 26" measuring stick in my left hand, lock my eyes on the length, then move my left hand with the stick to the loop for the cut (without marking). I'm a little OCD when it comes to the length of my sticks.🤪

Thank You Sponsors!