iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mike_belben

Just a spot for yall to dump your every day FW related pics that dont demand a new thread. 

Ready Set Go!
Praise The Lord

jimbarry

jimbarry

Pre-orders for fall delivery. 

jimbarry

jimbarry

mike_belben

I wish i had that kinda organizing gene. Wow
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Things are finally trying to dry up here. Reclaiming firewood for house and sugar shack from leftover tops from logs cut this winter.

It is a long haul out of there, this small diameter limb and cull stuff goes to mill yard for bucking not just dumped at intermediate landings that are scattered around for piles of firewood logs. That means "go light and go often " gets lightly amended to "stop before springs go negative arch".. the trailer was a freebie that held chicken coop for a few years until outgrown and this was the first trip hauling wood with it after replacing smashed coupler and adding industrial quantities of slime to tires  ;D

From trailer to one of these pallet sawbucks to get brappppped into stove wood. Hilarious inefficient use of time but good whole tree utilization and there are LOTS worse I could be doing with that time.

cutterboy

Joe, I burn a lot of small diameter round wood too.

From the tree tops.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

mike_belben

MF-  if you put the sawbuck on the trailer it could save you a step.  make kids pick and stack the pile after you braahppp it up.  if no kids, make kids first.  
Praise The Lord

mudfarmer

Quote from: mike_belben on May 11, 2021, 12:56:40 PM
MF-  if you put the sawbuck on the trailer it could save you a step.  make kids pick and stack the pile after you braahppp it up.  if no kids, make kids first.  
Got a PM about this as well and think it is a solid idea (not the kids part). Have brought sawbuck to where I was cutting on tractor forks, filled it up then brought to where piles are before cutting and that worked great. Also turns out that one overloaded pile on that weee lil trailer = just over a sawbuck load.

Have an idea in mind for a wacky limb trailer that is also sawbuck.. uprights made to accept standoffs bolted to chainsaw bar (unistrut or something bolted to uprights for a channel to slide in?). Put saw bar standoffs into uprights, brappp, tip bed to dump that section of rounds, move saw to next set of uprights, repeat?? Thinking on good clamping setup that moves from one set of uprights to the next, maybe just slides along trailer rub rail like a strap winch? Basically that sawbuck but with sliding channels on uprights for saw like a bad vertical chainsaw mill and a way to clamp the pile, on wheels w/ dump capability..  :P  :-X  :D
Perpendicular stacking issues and settling aside, one 8' long sawbuck 32" wide and stacked around 2' tall to keep center of gravity low means a face cord/rick a trip and it is easy to come up with wood to fill that in a hurry just from tops and clearing saw thinnings.

<edit>
grabbed crayons, drew picture

somethin like that anyway

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I burn a lot of limb wood too. I have a 3 pt winch. I lay down a 8 foot chain and pile the small wood on that. Than I just hook the chain and winch it in. Have hauled out 3 hitches this way. I just unhook it and saw through it. Well try too. I can take a 54 inch stick in my OWB, so length is no big deal. I find the ones I miss when I pick the wood up to burn.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

VB-Milling

Nothing like what most of you have, but I just finished splitting and stacking this for spring/summer fire pit.  Red oak, cedar, pine, cherry, and maple.

HM126

SwampDonkey

I take my wood down small too, not much for a top left. ;D Saves a lot of splitting, but adds to the trips to the wood pile to fill the stove. Drop half the sticks carrying it to the stove. I don't have arms like a grapple boom. Can't have it all. :D

Way too neat and way to accurate on the bucking lengths. Ahhh, when you don't have to deal with the whining public.  I learned from dad, it's just firewood, don't get fussy. It all comes out ashes.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jimbarry

Did a hundred bundles of sticks for someone once. Started with this. The sticks REALLY jump around when being cut if they do not have something keeping them in place, because as cutting progresses, the sticks loosen and settle..

So I improved upon it a bit with this. Once you start the cut you have to level out your saw so that the weight of the saw, and the pulling action of the chain keep the sticks up against the 2x6's on the other side.

jimbarry

For slabs off of the sawmill, we bundle and sell as firewood/kindling

firewood bundling bin for slabs 

hedgerow

I have a fair amount of smaller limb wood when we cut hedge. I run the smaller wood threw my buzz saw. Works great. Its more work loading that smaller stuff into the Garn buts its still hedge firewood and makes a lot of BTU'S. 

mike_belben

for stick bundle bucking,  use either bungee cords or garage door springs between the twine at each pack for an auto-tension mechanism.  that way as the vibratory settling progresses, the bail tightens up and retains compaction.  tie your twine tighter after.  

i find making a loop on a bight and then putting the tail through that loop in the other direction,  finishing with half hitches, is a good way to do it.  that way you can always tighten up a loose pile.   when i did bundles i tied the tails together for a carry handle. the more bundles a person can carry the more theyll buy. 
Praise The Lord

Sauna freak

I burn a lot of 4" and smaller birch poles salvaged from clearing trails as well as saw slabs at my cabin.  The birch sticks are nearly limb-less so it's pretty easy to grab a bunch out of the woods.  My favorite method for bucking them is actually to skip the chainsaw and the racking and just buck them on the table saw.  I'm off-grid, so it's generator fired, but a good excuse to charge some batteries.  I just move the cheap table saw over near the woodpile to my "sawdust landing" and start grabbing the sticks from truck or pile and buzz them to nice, even 14" lengths for the Jotul or sauna stove.  The leftover end if too short for a proper firewood stick gets chucked in the general direction of the fire pit.  Rather than feed the sticks in as if cross cutting a board, I feed from the side with the guards off and the rip-fence set for stick length.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

mike_belben

My dad burned cords and cords of hardwood flooring crosscut on a table saw that way.  Drums were all around the saw to toss the pieces into. 
Praise The Lord

cutterboy

A few old pictures just for the fun of it.

happy cutting.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Arctiva

had a spare min so getting around to some wood that fell 2 years ago. Should last me through December hopefully

mike_belben

How do you like your skidsteer splitter? 2 or 4 way?
Praise The Lord

Arctiva

Quote from: mike_belben on July 12, 2021, 10:37:46 PM
How do you like your skidsteer splitter? 2 or 4 way?
I have a single wedge and 4 way wedge. I dont like the 4 way. Makes a mess and little strings of wood. Alot of the wood I split is 24" + round. The 4 way worked good on smaller rounds though. So takes  extra min to single split but I can stack with it also when I'm doing future wood. I just dont mess with stacking by the boiler anymore as I push the pile closer ad used. 

Piston

Here's my small scale winter setup, just need to add a grapple to the tow vehicle  ;D

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!