iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone heard of Italian Stone Pine? Pinus pinea L

Started by cabindoc, May 22, 2021, 08:03:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabindoc

This a picture of the pine logs we have been milling for posts.

Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Jeff

Calm down jeff?   Calm down jeff?  Calm down jeff?  Ya know, my attempt at humor, has not a thing to do with you.  How about a thankyou for going out of my way to allow this topic to come back after wasting part of my sunday morning cleaning up topics you had convoluted by not following rules then crying about it.
Those that know me know it takes a bit to pith me off but if you know me, you know it can happen.  Im pretty g d tolerant. You just made it happen.
My rules?  KISS MY  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

Jeff was not mad. Jeff was being funny. Now Cabindoc comes in and reveals a snarky attitude and talks to you like he owns the place. Now Jeff is mad.😬😬😂
Too many irons in the fire

firefighter ontheside

@cabindoc my home was not from a kit.  It was handcrafted in MN with handpeeled logs that were then scribed and notched.  Essentially the log shell was built completely in MN and then taken back down and shipped to MO.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

cabindoc

was it a company that did that?  or an individual?  a little off topic, but just curious.
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

cabindoc

BTW, thanx all to the replies and input.  Although I don't have a definitive, with this input I can eliminate some species and I feel better about that and so I thank all for that.

And to Jeff, thanx for straightening out my mis steps.  I promise, I will be a good boy.
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: cabindoc on May 26, 2021, 06:01:19 AM
was it a company that did that?  or an individual?  a little off topic, but just curious.
It was a company out of Grand Marais MN called Senty Loghomes.  It was a small outfit.  I don't think he employed more than a half dozen guys.  He and one of his guys came down to MO to help me put the logs back up over 2 days.  I had a crane on sight and about 6 friends and family to help with labor.  It looks like they are out of business as I'm sure the owner retired.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

cabindoc

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on May 26, 2021, 07:20:20 AM
Quote from: cabindoc on May 26, 2021, 06:01:19 AM
was it a company that did that?  or an individual?  a little off topic, but just curious.
It was a company out of Grand Marais MN called Senty Loghomes.  It was a small outfit.  I don't think he employed more than a half dozen guys.  He and one of his guys came down to MO to help me put the logs back up over 2 days.  I had a crane on sight and about 6 friends and family to help with labor.  It looks like they are out of business as I'm sure the owner retired.
Nice!  Take care of the outside and keep her well maintained.  Finding guys like me to make repairs is difficult.  we are unicorns in a dying breed of tradesmen.  
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Clark

Back to the topic at hand...I don't see red pine in those logs at all. Unless it is the world's most poorly growing red pine with bark that more resembles one of the 2-needle pines. Doesn't NJ have some native pitch, jack or Norfolk Island ( ???) pines? 

Sure, someone could have planted Italian stone pines but something local and isn't red pine seems most likely to me.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Don P

I think I've seen 3 different kinds of pine in this thread. The original, what I believe are red pine logs, the southern pine of some kind end cut 6x6 (which is doing a good job of showing how bluestain travels in through the rays), and the pitch? pines growing in the barrens.

WDH

Pitch pine has three needles to the fascicle, not two. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

It would certainly identify as red pine if it was here, but there were several places in the u.p. where I could show you rows of European Larch that was planted as end rows to red pine plantations as study trees. I believe they weere all harvested now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Clark

Quote from: WDH on May 28, 2021, 06:12:18 AM
Pitch pine has three needles to the fascicle, not two.

And Norfolk Island Pine? Clearly my intimate knowledge of the species is tied to the number of times I have seen and examined it. I should have a been a bit more broad and stated the culprit is likely one of the eastern hard pines but in my very intimate knowledge of red pine I would most assuredly say, not red pine. Don't you have Virginia and some others over there?

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

firefighter ontheside

It is definitely not Norfolk Island Pine.  You may be thinking of something else.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Ianab

Quote from: Clark on May 28, 2021, 06:00:00 PMnd Norfolk Island Pine?
Quote from: Clark on May 28, 2021, 06:00:00 PMAnd Norfolk Island Pine?

Norfolk Island Pine is a species of Araucaria, not a true pine. Basically the Southern hemisphere equivalent of Pinus from the North. I think they are quite common in Florida area as they are resistant to salt spray and wind, but wouldn't handle the colder climates. 

Araucaria heterophylla - Wikipedia
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Clark

Quote from: Ianab on May 28, 2021, 07:12:54 PM

Araucaria heterophylla - Wikipedia
I understand how Jeff feels after this thread. Clearly it isn't Norfolk Island pine. With that, I bow out.
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!