iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Please help with Oak ID

Started by Momatt, June 14, 2021, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Momatt

I am building a king post truss and need an 18 footer for the bottom cord.  This is for the end of my covered porch and will be exposed so I want a rot resistant white oak.  I have 400 acres of mostly hills

and spend a hour or so driving around looking for a log close enough to where I can get my little loader in to harvest it.  This one has a 30 foot or so log and its so high I can't see the leaves good.  Bark says red, leaves are fuzzy but look more like white.  This is in Missouri in the Ozarks.    

Old Greenhorn

Very hard to tell. I see leaves that look like northern red, but also some that appear to be scarlet oak or perhaps even black oak. I can't make out any that look like White oak. When scouting for trees like that, I carry a small pair of binoculars to help see the leaves better. It's not easy, but it does help these old eyes.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Momatt

Thanks, I have to go back with binoculars.  Almost all my whites are lighter colored bark.  It is a very diverse forest.

mike_belben

i think i see white oak leaves in the first pic but see a red oak trunk and post oak leaves in the bright gap between the dogwood and the red oak trunk. 

btw we have a section for tree identification down below the logging forum, for future reference. 
Praise The Lord

TmbrWlkr

White oaks leaves "generally" have rounded lobes - Red oaks come to a point; and yes it is true white oaks typically have lighter colored bark.  

What size does your truss member need to be?  (Th & Wd)  Be especially careful of sweep in the tree you select - a very minor amount of sweep can prevent you from centering the heart (pith) on a 18' timber.  That can lead to unpredictable movement as it dries.

Post some pics when you complete your truss - we would all get a kick out of it.

Thank You Sponsors!