iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which maple is which?

Started by Old Greenhorn, June 16, 2021, 05:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

OK Folks, I need either help or confirmation. Here are 3 numbered maple leaf photos, which species is each? I promise these are from 3 separate trees (no tricks here), less than 20' apart.
This is number 1:

This is number 2:

This is number 3:

#2 and #3 are taken from below the leaf. I believe number one is Sugar Maple, I believe #2 is Red maple, and I honestly have no flipping idea what #3 is, but probably Red Maple. Can y'all help me get this straight?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

You got them right.  The hard maples do not have teeth on the leaf margin between the lobes.  The soft maples, red maple in this case, do have teeth on the leaf margin between the lobes.  Your pics illustrate this clearly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I never knew that about the teeth. Thank you!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

It is all in the teeth ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Danny, do you have comparison pics of the two leaf patterns?  great now @Southside  will bring up "hens teeth",  very rare.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

OGH's pics show the two patterns.  The first pic is sugar maple, no teeth between the lobes.  Pics two and three are red maple and show the toothed margins between the lobes. 

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Not to be confused with Kansas Maple, which are rare as hens teeth.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HemlockKing

My favourite maple leaf is the silver maple, I have 99% red maple 
A1

aigheadish

I'll be the ignorant one to ask- What is meant by lobes? Is that the "under"side of the leaves returning to the center/stem? I guess, on the tree, it'd be the upperside, so from leaf tip as it moves back toward the tree?
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WDH

Indentations of the margin toward the mid-rib.  Look at the pic of the sugar maple leaf (pic #).  There are two shallow lobes at the bottom of the leaf on each side and another two, one on each side in the middle, and one at the tip.  This is a 5-lobed leaf.  Lobes are sometimes round or sometimes pointed.  An un-lobed leaf is a single blade with not breaks or indentations on the margin towards the mid-rib. 

Leaves have many shapes and there are many types.  Here is some info on the complexity of leaves. 

https://extension.uga.edu/content/dam/extension-county-offices/clarke-county/4-h/forestry-judging-information/leaf-identification.pdf

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

SwampDonkey

With your sugar maple there, to be certain that it isn't a Norway, get a fresh leaf and observe the leave petiole (stem) where it was broke free of the tree. If milky sap, then it's a Norway. ;) Being a yard tree, one never knows.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don P

Would you say it has teeth in its sinus?

Blue Noser

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 18, 2021, 04:47:29 PM
With your sugar maple there, to be certain that it isn't a Norway, get a fresh leaf and observe the leave petiole (stem) where it was broke free of the tree. If milky sap, then it's a Norway. ;) Being a yard tree, one never knows.
With a petiole that long, my first thought was Norway maple.

Old Greenhorn

OK, all you Norway Maple guys, I just grabbed a leaf and checked: No milk. Also the Norway Maple is 5-7 lobed leaves and the Sugar Maple is 3-5 lobes. Norway Maple is considered and invasive in NY because it can hamper normal growth in places where it tales over and shape the ground not allowing anything else to grow.

Don, teeth in the sinus sounds like a painful condition. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Had one Norway here in the yard that seeded prolifically in the flower beds, around the edges of pine or spruce. About anywhere I didn't mow or bush whack. :D Transplanted some of them along my property edge.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!