The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Chainsaw Protection Boots  (Read 2587 times)

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
Re: Chainsaw Protection Boots
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 05:37:39 AM »
I would think those steel on adds would catch every piece of brush that they would come in contact with.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline chep

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2021, 11:13:26 AM »
I have blown through about 5 pairs of the labonville leather saw boots over the years. Cant ever get more then 1.5 year put if them then they fall apart. I really liked the low heel option as tall heels mess with my back. Why they only had ee wide I have no idea? Way to wide for my foot. Not bad at first then they stretch and are to sloppy. Had to wear a heavier sock

I have the haix airpower 200. Saw pro and safety toe. Going on 2 years. Chopping, climbing,milling. Awesome 3 season boot. Not for deep winter. I spend a lot of time on spurs climbing and they have been great for that to. 
I am really hard on my footwear and the haix have been a real surprise! 

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2021, 11:21:38 AM »
Tom, that’s how you know that it’s time to backup and regroup as to how you do things!

+1 on the low heel @chep
Trying harder everyday.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 11:42:01 AM »
I have the haix airpower 200. Saw pro and safety toe. Going on 2 years. Chopping, climbing,milling. Awesome 3 season boot. Not for deep winter. I spend a lot of time on spurs climbing and they have been great for that to.

I've not spent any time on spurs. I would have guessed that you would want their Prime or Ultra boots for that, since they are taller, and I believe slightly stiffer. I guess that is not really needed?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 11:51:24 AM »
Tom, that’s how you know that it’s time to backup and regroup as to how you do things!

+1 on the low heel @chep
Yup, first time in half a century and that was close enough. It was a 28" bar and the chain was just spinning to a stop. I always run the chain through a couple if cuts after I sharpen just to make sure it cuts well. Boots were only a month old.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2021, 12:04:20 PM »

I've not spent any time on spurs. I would have guessed that you would want their Prime or Ultra boots for that, since they are taller, and I believe slightly stiffer. I guess that is not really needed?
I have spent very little time with my spurs on ( it's not pretty, seeing an old guy do that which doesn't do it all the time), but have done it when I need to. I did however spend a fair amount of time on antenna towers and in both cases it seemed to me what was most important was having good strong steel shanks.to spread the  load on your arches. Not much else counted except having it all snug but not tight. But real climbers here might have a better take. I do know that there is nothing more miserable than being on a tower for a couple of hours without steel shanks In your boots. Climbing spurs should be about the same I think.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 09:33:07 PM »
I would think those steel on adds would catch every piece of brush that they would come in contact with.
What brush?  ;)
D

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 07:23:14 AM »
Limbs, brush almost the same thing.  :) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
Give'm some wild raisin and mountain holly thickets to wade through, cut'n black spruce. :D
“No amount of belief makes something a fact.” James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2021, 06:28:12 AM »
I think my humor was too subtle,

Agreed, brush could be a deal breaker
stay safe folks

D

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2021, 09:20:15 AM »
I think my humor was too subtle,

Agreed, brush could be a deal breaker
stay safe folks

D
Having spent some time living and hiking in Central NY, I knew where you were coming from.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline eastcoastsoxfan

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2021, 04:00:15 PM »
My feet needed a break from the rubber vikings so I just bought a pair of the stihl (stc) one's at local dealer, $279 cad.
It was nice that I could actually try them on.
Usually I'm 10.5-11. they run a little big, 10s fit nice. 
They're comfortable, think they'll be more comfortable as they get broken in, not as heavy as my danner pronghorns hunting boots.
The toe is composite. They say waterproof... we'll see!
I'm in the woods most everyday and usually running a chainsaw, I'll update on they hold up.

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2021, 06:01:37 PM »
I'll stick with my Viking 69's with chaulks. In brush and rolling limbs and sticks and slippery wood I'd be on my ashes more than standing without good chaulks. I gave up on leather boots years ago in the wet softwood ground. My knees and feet couldn't take that anymore. The boot bill just goes on the T2222 tax form for my spring bonus. ;D

Offline eastcoastsoxfan

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2021, 08:30:47 PM »
I'll stick with my Viking 69's with chaulks. In brush and rolling limbs and sticks and slippery wood I'd be on my ashes more than standing without good chalks. I gave up on leather boots years ago in the wet softwood ground. My knees and feet couldn't take that anymore. The boot bill just goes on the T2222 tax form for my spring bonus. ;D
I'm cutting big ones after a harvester, I had caulks 20 years ago doing pct, I'm thinking I might add caulked vikings for wet days, that slippery wood was extra slick in the rain today

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2021, 06:52:45 PM »
Could not find the viking 69 anywhere that would ship to the US and found posts on FF back to 2015 saying the same  :-\

Have some Husqvarna on the way from Bailey's that look like a Viking?? Caulks and felt insoles, chainsaw rated, steel toe, waterproof, sounds good if they fit ok and last. @DeerMeadowFarm was someone that posted about them way back I think and maybe could offer an opinion.

Listening to SwampDonkey's experience and having been running clearing saw in wet beech thickets I really tried to get the viking but a lot of posts about them being uncomfortable if you get the 65 instead of 69 and that was all that seemed to be available. The border is closed or this would be a simple problem to solve I guess.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2021, 09:50:17 PM »
I wear the viking VW64. If I am outside working, they are on my feet. Even in the garden.

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2021, 08:16:38 AM »
Have some Husqvarna on the way from Bailey's that look like a Viking?? Caulks and felt insoles, chainsaw rated, steel toe, waterproof, sounds good if they fit ok and last. @DeerMeadowFarm was someone that posted about them way back I think and maybe could offer an opinion.

Yes I have the Husqvarna rubber saw boots with the laces in the back. Every time I put them on for the first time of the year that I use them they feel weird but honestly they are very comfortable to work in. They are my go to boot for cutting in very wet, snowy, or muddy conditions. Unlike Ray I don't wear them for ordinary outdoor garden, as they are heavy and I prefer my Lacrosse Burly's for that. I have two pairs all the time; one for hunting and one for everything else. When my everything else pair gets too worn or the leaks are no longer patchable (I use rubber tube patches) then I retire my hunting pair to everything else work and get a new pair for hunting. I get 3-4 years out of them.
My everyday leather boot however is also my chainsaw leather boot. Oregon Fiordland. These are heavy as well but I have NEVER had a leather boot more comfortable than these. I have replaced the laces with 550 Paracord once they wore out and they are still going strong. I also repaired the black toe cap with that rubber imbedded paint-on toe cap stuff once the original one was scuffed through to the actual boot leather. I think I've had them for 6 or so years and while I don't wear them every day, I wear them quite a bit. I probably should buy another pair before they stop making them and put them on a shelf in my closet!

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »
I use these for hiking and gardening.

W.M. Moorby 2816 with Vibrum sole. Made in Canada by Canada West Boots of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The soles won't fall off these. I was in Mark's Work Wearhouse the other day looking at shoes and boots, they have no clue what a good boot or shoe is. Nothing but junk. I'm after a casual shoe by the same company, which is on summer vacation fro 3 weeks. The other company with a similar shoe is also on summer vacation, plus it would be a 4 week back order on top of that. So I am patiently awaiting the kind lady, who runs a boot shop, to let me know once vacation is over if I can get some decent shoes. Lordy, it's come down to this!! ::) :D :D

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2021, 02:57:17 PM »
These are my going to town shoes. Samuel Hubbard. :)

Dress Fast Men's Leather Shoe

Offline mudfarmer

• Mama Tried
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2021, 11:05:19 AM »
The Husqvarna boots have been working very well for me, no regrets would buy again. Natural rubber and made in Canada. Sizing is good, go up a full size for felt liners. Bailey's has the caulks

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Chainsaw cut protection boots on sale

Started by John Mc on Chainsaws

19 Replies
Last post August 05, 2020, 06:46:47 AM
by nativewolf
xx
Full protection chainsaw boots

Started by rick carpenter on Chainsaws

16 Replies
Last post December 04, 2016, 01:47:15 AM
by Jesper Jepsen