iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Protection Boots

Started by nativewolf, June 26, 2021, 10:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: John Mc on June 30, 2021, 11:42:01 AM
Quote from: chep on June 30, 2021, 11:13:26 AMI have the haix airpower 200. Saw pro and safety toe. Going on 2 years. Chopping, climbing,milling. Awesome 3 season boot. Not for deep winter. I spend a lot of time on spurs climbing and they have been great for that to.

I've not spent any time on spurs. I would have guessed that you would want their Prime or Ultra boots for that, since they are taller, and I believe slightly stiffer. I guess that is not really needed?
I have spent very little time with my spurs on ( it's not pretty, seeing an old guy do that which doesn't do it all the time), but have done it when I need to. I did however spend a fair amount of time on antenna towers and in both cases it seemed to me what was most important was having good strong steel shanks.to spread the  load on your arches. Not much else counted except having it all snug but not tight. But real climbers here might have a better take. I do know that there is nothing more miserable than being on a tower for a couple of hours without steel shanks In your boots. Climbing spurs should be about the same I think.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

dgdrls

Quote from: thecfarm on June 30, 2021, 05:37:39 AM
I would think those steel on adds would catch every piece of brush that they would come in contact with.
What brush?  ;)
D

thecfarm

Limbs, brush almost the same thing.  :) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Give'm some wild raisin and mountain holly thickets to wade through, cut'n black spruce. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

dgdrls

I think my humor was too subtle,

Agreed, brush could be a deal breaker
stay safe folks

D

John Mc

Quote from: dgdrls on July 02, 2021, 06:28:12 AM
I think my humor was too subtle,

Agreed, brush could be a deal breaker
stay safe folks

D
Having spent some time living and hiking in Central NY, I knew where you were coming from.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

eastcoastsoxfan

My feet needed a break from the rubber vikings so I just bought a pair of the stihl (stc) one's at local dealer, $279 cad.
It was nice that I could actually try them on.
Usually I'm 10.5-11. they run a little big, 10s fit nice. 
They're comfortable, think they'll be more comfortable as they get broken in, not as heavy as my danner pronghorns hunting boots.
The toe is composite. They say waterproof... we'll see!
I'm in the woods most everyday and usually running a chainsaw, I'll update on they hold up.

SwampDonkey

I'll stick with my Viking 69's with chaulks. In brush and rolling limbs and sticks and slippery wood I'd be on my ashes more than standing without good chaulks. I gave up on leather boots years ago in the wet softwood ground. My knees and feet couldn't take that anymore. The boot bill just goes on the T2222 tax form for my spring bonus. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

eastcoastsoxfan

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 09, 2021, 06:01:37 PM
I'll stick with my Viking 69's with chaulks. In brush and rolling limbs and sticks and slippery wood I'd be on my ashes more than standing without good chalks. I gave up on leather boots years ago in the wet softwood ground. My knees and feet couldn't take that anymore. The boot bill just goes on the T2222 tax form for my spring bonus. ;D
I'm cutting big ones after a harvester, I had caulks 20 years ago doing pct, I'm thinking I might add caulked vikings for wet days, that slippery wood was extra slick in the rain today

mudfarmer

Could not find the viking 69 anywhere that would ship to the US and found posts on FF back to 2015 saying the same  :-\

Have some Husqvarna on the way from Bailey's that look like a Viking?? Caulks and felt insoles, chainsaw rated, steel toe, waterproof, sounds good if they fit ok and last. @DeerMeadowFarm was someone that posted about them way back I think and maybe could offer an opinion.

Listening to SwampDonkey's experience and having been running clearing saw in wet beech thickets I really tried to get the viking but a lot of posts about them being uncomfortable if you get the 65 instead of 69 and that was all that seemed to be available. The border is closed or this would be a simple problem to solve I guess.

thecfarm

I wear the viking VW64. If I am outside working, they are on my feet. Even in the garden.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: mudfarmer on July 15, 2021, 06:52:45 PMHave some Husqvarna on the way from Bailey's that look like a Viking?? Caulks and felt insoles, chainsaw rated, steel toe, waterproof, sounds good if they fit ok and last. @DeerMeadowFarm was someone that posted about them way back I think and maybe could offer an opinion.

Yes I have the Husqvarna rubber saw boots with the laces in the back. Every time I put them on for the first time of the year that I use them they feel weird but honestly they are very comfortable to work in. They are my go to boot for cutting in very wet, snowy, or muddy conditions. Unlike Ray I don't wear them for ordinary outdoor garden, as they are heavy and I prefer my Lacrosse Burly's for that. I have two pairs all the time; one for hunting and one for everything else. When my everything else pair gets too worn or the leaks are no longer patchable (I use rubber tube patches) then I retire my hunting pair to everything else work and get a new pair for hunting. I get 3-4 years out of them.
My everyday leather boot however is also my chainsaw leather boot. Oregon Fiordland. These are heavy as well but I have NEVER had a leather boot more comfortable than these. I have replaced the laces with 550 Paracord once they wore out and they are still going strong. I also repaired the black toe cap with that rubber imbedded paint-on toe cap stuff once the original one was scuffed through to the actual boot leather. I think I've had them for 6 or so years and while I don't wear them every day, I wear them quite a bit. I probably should buy another pair before they stop making them and put them on a shelf in my closet!

SwampDonkey

I use these for hiking and gardening.

W.M. Moorby 2816 with Vibrum sole. Made in Canada by Canada West Boots of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The soles won't fall off these. I was in Mark's Work Wearhouse the other day looking at shoes and boots, they have no clue what a good boot or shoe is. Nothing but junk. I'm after a casual shoe by the same company, which is on summer vacation fro 3 weeks. The other company with a similar shoe is also on summer vacation, plus it would be a 4 week back order on top of that. So I am patiently awaiting the kind lady, who runs a boot shop, to let me know once vacation is over if I can get some decent shoes. Lordy, it's come down to this!! ::) :D :D

SwampDonkey

These are my going to town shoes. Samuel Hubbard. :)

Dress Fast Men's Leather Shoe

mudfarmer

The Husqvarna boots have been working very well for me, no regrets would buy again. Natural rubber and made in Canada. Sizing is good, go up a full size for felt liners. Bailey's has the caulks

John Mc

I had some Jonsered rubber chainsaw boots. They were OK when I had to work in wet conditions, but if I had to do any significant amount of walking, they were incredibly uncomfortable. They would rub my shins raw. I tried wearing heavier, longer socks, but it made no difference. I'm not sure if the felt liners would have helped. I never found out, since I did not buy them big enough to fit with the liners in. I ended up giving them away to someone who lives on 10 acres, so does not have as much ground to cover (she also has smaller feet, so can fit felt liners in them).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Kodiakmac

I bought a pair of Canada West Foresters last year.  I am quite happy with them.  Large, strong pull tabs; triple E width.  Leather is quite thick and took some breaking in, but they're a good solid boot.

Models 14394 and 34394 are straight loggers boots.  14366 are caulks.

Canada West Lace Work | Canada West Boots
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

dustintheblood

And the fun begins.  Shopping for new work boots is easy they said.

Not so much.... apparently my dutch self with size 14 makes Christmas shopping for myself not easy  :D :D :D :D

My Haix are still performing like rock stars, but for decently priced, north american made, general-around-the-sawmill workboots, this is getting ridiculous
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: dustintheblood on December 19, 2021, 06:20:26 PM
My Haix are still performing like rock stars, but for decently priced, north american made, general-around-the-sawmill workboots, this is getting ridiculous
ain't that the truth!  I get a stipend every year toward new boots.  I have simple needs, 10.5 EEE, North American made, safety toe, waterproof. Local boot store had 45+ different boot styles...only 8 met requirement number 1  :(
I ended up with a pair of Thorogood (made in USA), mid height boots.  I use these while working in the shop, running equipment, and in my wood yard. On month 2 and they broke in good, seem to be wearing well, and I'm happy, and so aren't my feet.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

John Mc

Quote from: dustintheblood on December 19, 2021, 06:20:26 PMMy Haix are still performing like rock stars, but for decently priced, north american made, general-around-the-sawmill workboots, this is getting ridiculous

Too bad. Haix just had some great sales on their chainsaw boots. (Though even the sale price is a bit much for just general purpose, around the shop boots.)

barbender

For a general shop boot, I just got to "wear test" a pair of Haix boots. They aren't saw protection boots, but just a nice pair of safety toe, mid hieght work boots. Comfy out of the box, Gore-tex waterproof. I think they are around $200.    On another note, I'm hopeful Haix got the outsole delamination problem cured on the XR200 chainsaw boots. I just got to around 18 months on my current pair, the other ones failed around a year.
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Quote from: dustintheblood on December 19, 2021, 06:20:26 PM
And the fun begins.  Shopping for new work boots is easy they said.

Not so much.... apparently my dutch self with size 14 makes Christmas shopping for myself not easy  :D :D :D :D

What kind of boot do you want? Canada West makes boots and places like Herbert's Boots at Alliston or Innisfil, Ontario retail them. Have a look at the Canada West Catalogue and call'm up. Canada West Boots Catalogue

Stoneyacrefarm

I just took advantage of the Haix boot sale. 
It was like a Black Friday special that ran for a week. 
Certain pairs of boots would go on sale for a 5 hour window. 
I bought a pair of XR 200's for one of my helpers and bought a pair of Missoula's and Protector Ultras for myself. 
It worked out to be buy 2 get 1 free. 
I couldn't complain too much. 
My Protector Primes are going on year 2 with no issues so I think the sole separation issue is fixed. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Walnut Beast

barbender

Why do saw boots have to look like they were designed by Elton John?
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!