iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Im in another pickle with Big Bob

Started by Bruno of NH, July 20, 2021, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

The 873 ,  found one more hose in the bottom.
Up to 3 now  ;) 
Fun stuff
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mike_belben

And just think how many kids pay to go to tech school.  All you need to do is buy a machine and the education will commence!
Praise The Lord

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mike_belben

smiley_thumbsup

think positive.  long term stress and negativity will run you down and wreck your health.  walk away as needed. 
Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Seems like you been pretty busy for quite some time. Why don't you replace it instead of jacking around with something constantly breaking down 🤷‍♂️

Bruno of NH

Quote from: Walnut Beast on September 17, 2021, 03:05:31 PM
Seems like you been pretty busy for quite some time. Why don't you replace it instead of jacking around with something constantly breaking down 🤷‍♂️
I'm working on some business deals that will add to my sawing. I'm going to have to invest in a couple more pieces of sawing equipment for that.
Big Bob will have to wait.
I want a small wheel loader .
I will need to save much more money. 

Bruno of NH

Big Bob has a high lifting capacity which put you into big money .
I'm not sure if any new skid steers that lift that much.

Bruno of NH

Bob lifts 3,700 and has a 7,200 tipping 

chevytaHOE5674

A few wheeled machines and plenty of tracked machines that will lift that much weight and more. And do it more reliably than a 30+ year old used up piece of construction equipment.

I'm all for running old iron but when you need it to earn a living you need something that is ready to go anytime and earn its keep.

mike_belben

really guys?  3 hoses and you tell him buy a new machine?  like that wont needed hoses and starters over time ?

Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Aren't the hoses on an 873 that hes borrowing or renting because his old 974? is down?

Its one thing after another. Must be something going on if the starter bolts are an ongoing issue. Talking about an injector pump? Injectors? List goes on.

When you make money sawing lumber. If you have to stop sawing to be a mechanic, or because you can't load logs, or load customers, etc then you are pi$$ing away money 2x (cost of repairs and lost revenue). 

chevytaHOE5674

He mentioned buying a new motor for it. New windows. Building a door. Adding heat. 

All of that into an old machine that is probably one major part away from being obsolete or in need of re-engineering because of unavailable parts.

mike_belben

you might be right about the hoses for borrowed machine.. ive been skimming.  

i figure if he could afford another machine we wouldnt be having these discussions in the first place.  hed have posted a thread called help me spend my money.  not help me fix my machine. 
Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

He needs a wheel loader of whatever vintage he can afford. Skid steer is a major compromise to begin with. 

Two paths to success;

1. Run with no debt and pay cash.
2. Run with debt on equipment that is new enough to run.

People with exceptional mechanical skills can cut a few corners but unless you own all your stuff outright you best be working with it and not on it.

You have the orders to pump out $1k a day in sales; a 2k a month payment on a machine that lets you run every day is not an expense. Its a must especially if you have an employee and a sawmill payment. A starter here, a few hoses there, 10 gallons of hydro fluid and 3 lost days of production pays for a brand new wheel loader that you are building equity in not mention filling orders as promised. People understand your loader broke down but they remember that they lost time when the item wasn't delivered as promised.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 17, 2021, 07:10:20 PM
Aren't the hoses on an 873 that hes borrowing or renting because his old 974? is down?

Its one thing after another. Must be something going on if the starter bolts are an ongoing issue. Talking about an injector pump? Injectors? List goes on.

When you make money sawing lumber. If you have to stop sawing to be a mechanic, or because you can't load logs, or load customers, etc then you are pi$$ing away money 2x (cost of repairs and lost revenue).
All valid points Sir
The 873 is my friends machine it's very used up.
It broke down in my use and I will fix it.
I don't like throwing money at Big Bob for that one reason , some part won't be available. 
I know it's just a matter of time.

Bruno of NH

Quote from: stavebuyer on September 17, 2021, 07:27:47 PM
He needs a wheel loader of whatever vintage he can afford. Skid steer is a major compromise to begin with.

Two paths to success;

1. Run with no debt and pay cash.
2. Run with debt on equipment that is new enough to run.

People with exceptional mechanical skills can cut a few corners but unless you own all your stuff outright you best be working with it and not on it.

You have the orders to pump out $1k a day in sales; a 2k a month payment on a machine that lets you run every day is not an expense. Its a must especially if you have an employee and a sawmill payment. A starter here, a few hoses there, 10 gallons of hydro fluid and 3 lost days of production pays for a brand new wheel loader that you are building equity in not mention filling orders as promised. People understand your loader broke down but they remember that they lost time when the item wasn't delivered as promised.
I'm very busy and have been asked to saw wide pine boards for a company,  so many bdft a month. Plus sawing pallet boards for a pallet repair company. 
I'm just worried about adding debt right now. I finally got this business reputation built up and moving lot of lumber.

stavebuyer

Bruno,

Please take this as advice and not criticism. I been there and done that more than once working with junk older than I was. I was loaned a JD 344 loader that was in decent shape for its age other than needing tires. I put 4 tires on it, the help ran it low on oil and locked up the engine which I got a buddy to rebuild. Not long after the engine rebuild the transmission went out which ended up at John Deere for that rebuild to tune of 10k.

Tires, engine, transmission and about 2 months down time. Thankfully I had multiple income streams and more than one loader but there was many a time that would have sunk me.

I followed your progress and know that maybe your not in a position to buy a late model loader. The thing is with Big Bob you have a double handicap in that its not the best machine for the task even when it was new.

A wheel loader will be more productive as well as much easier to work on and source parts for. Get there as soon as you can and keep upgrading. If you are buying logs and selling lumber the loader is the most important piece of equipment you have. Nothing happens without it.  Its more critical than the mill itself.

Jim_Rogers

A bookkeeper once told my roommate, that if he's paying more in repairs (per month) than a monthly payment on a newer machine, it's time to dump the old machine and upgrade to something else.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 18, 2021, 04:06:20 PM
A bookkeeper once told my roommate, that if he's paying more in repairs (per month) than a monthly payment on a newer machine, it's time to dump the old machine and upgrade to something else.

Jim Rogers
Jim
Over what period of time does he make the decision to upgrade?  
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on September 18, 2021, 04:22:01 PM

Jim Rogers
Jim
Over what period of time does he make the decision to upgrade?  
Sorry don't know that.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

btulloh

Jim Rogers
I would include time spent on the repair, lost production, opportunity cost, etc. in that calculation.  Those are all relevant to the cost of operating a machine. 
Good luck Bruno, however you proceed. 
Glad to hear about your new opportunity for revenue. 
HM126

mike_belben

thats an excellent decision process for a corporation where no one man is the entire company.  where there is a team to carry the load and investors have pooled capital to make it happen.  it does not consider the actual life that goes on in the background of a sole proprietor with only his personal credit score and personal assets to back him up.

does he have the available credit left to buy the new machine without putting his home up for collateral?  does he have the ability to make the note if he slips on a patch of ice and blows his knee out for the last time?  if he ends up on disability for a while due to injury, maybe he can keep his home and sawmill.  the more stuff he signs up to pay for, the more chance he gets liquidated if something goes wrong.

we'd all love a new machine. only bruno can measure out whether he can do it or not.  it might be the absolute best decision, but its one we shouldnt be pressuring him to make in order to appease our opinions.  ive held a baby while my bobcat was broken and ive held a baby while the auctioneer was selling off my house.  you can imagine which one hurt more.  we need to help the guy do whatever it is he decides to do to ensure the best outcome.
Praise The Lord

beenthere

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on September 18, 2021, 04:38:41 PMJim Rogers
Doubt that the bookkeeper knows that either. Easy to say and just looks good on "da books".  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

YellowHammer

I don't know about in your area, but buying a new machine wouldn't be an option here, anyway.  I've been looking at track loaders for little while, have 3 different models of brands I'm interested in, and have literally only been able to sit in one, simply because there aren't any available.  So even if I wanted a newer machine, I couldn't get one for months.

I've always been of the opinion that the wrong time to buy a new piece of equipment is when the old one is broken down.  It leads to rushed thinking, compromise, bad deals, over paying, etc.  I'm more of a get it running, then look for a replacement, and seamlessly phase the old out and slide the new piece in.  For example, I ordered a new truck in Spring, its now Fall and should be here by Christmas.  The guy said it would take awhile, and I said I don't care because my other truck is running fine.  

However, broken down and out of action is not a productive thing either, so to me, fixing it if it can be fixed would be paramount, quickly and cheaply, by whatever method, then look at other options without the monkey on my back.

If the delay to fix is too long, or unsustainable, I would rent or in the case of my Cat forklift, lease to own, which is cheaper than a rental, but has a few more strings attached.  It also allowed me to apply that lease money toward a different machine if the current one wasn't to my liking.  In the case of our forklift, we leased for awhile, then eventually bought it.  Leasing or renting doesn't require assuming large debt up front and guarantees a working piece of equipment.  If it breaks, they bring out another.

Anyway Bruno, keep up the good work.  We are glad to hear of you business successes.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mike_belben

Many the rock quarries lease takeuchi compact swing loaders out here. Or wacker neusons.  The S300 bobcats will load a 4000 pallet but theyre pretty sketchy.  The swing loaders can grab 6k with complete finesse. 

Letting a machine you own be broke is to take an almost total depreciation hit.  So fixing it is like getting paid.  Big bob in running shape is a $10k machine.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!