The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Timbco 415ex??  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
Timbco 415ex??
« on: July 24, 2021, 12:09:38 PM »
Still looking into a harvester on and off. I donít think it will pay but everyone here makes it work. Anyways. 2005 Sisu engine. Good? Bad? Parts through Komatsu I assume? 

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
Re: Timbco 415ex??
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 02:00:18 PM »
Nothing bad about the Sisu motors. They are owned by Agco and used in various tractors and other equipment so parts shouldn't be a concern.

What head?

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:18:01 PM »
Fabtek 4 roller. The machine is actually much nicer than I expected for the hours. 35,000 but a lot has been done in the last 3 years. New engine and newer head. Every 4 roller Iíve looked at even low hour cat 501s are busted up. This isnít. It looks to be just starting in places as the paint is cracked. But hasnít been fixed anywheres. The machines showes zero problems. I couldnít find anything loose or worn. Pins and bushing are prolly 75-80% and Iíd put the drive sprockets at 50%. All hoses look the be fairly new. It was being used daily. They updated to a 501. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 02:22:54 PM »
Thats some impressive hours.
Isaiah 63:10

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 02:48:59 PM »
It sure is. But is a high hour machine in good shape with papers to show replacements better or worse than a 10,000-15,000 hr machine with mostly original components. The wear parts have already been replaced. Tight and right is tight and right no matter the hours. Iím I wrong? I donít know. Like I said I was quit surprised at the condition with the hours it has. Iíve look at 2014s with 3-4,000 hours in worse shape. And 3 times the money. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 03:01:27 PM »
Its hard to say whether any machine will be a cherry or a lemon. Who can know?

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 03:36:02 PM »
There's a reason it's for sale.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 03:54:01 PM »
There's a reason it's for sale.
Isnít everything for sale for a reason? 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 04:30:02 PM »
Besides it must have been a good one. Thatís a full work week all itís life. Not much down time. 

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 04:46:34 PM »
Or a lot of double shifting after down time. Ran 2 20k+ hour processors, and a 40k+ hour forwarder. All three ran daily but required a good bit of TLC and tinkering to keep running. 

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 05:32:49 PM »
I wouldn't touch a 35,000 hour processor with a 20 foot pole.  I don't care how it's been cared for.  Do you want to produce wood or wrench on an old processor?  That's enough hours that metal fatigue in the super structure would be a concern.

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 06:08:13 PM »
Has the rotax been placed in the head and the carrier? Personally with that high of hours I wouldnít touch it, if the welds are done right youíd never tell the difference. With those hours Iíd be willing to be the boom has been repaired. Iíd check on valve as well as pump parts for availability as well.

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 06:32:01 PM »
If its the one at Lutkes for 75k you can get one with a whole lot less hours for the same money. I think Kip at Pat's Heavy Equipment has a couple with Rolly IIs for around that prices with a whole lot less hours.

From experience there is no such things as a "cheap" processor. There's expensive low hour sit and produce equipment and "cheap" wrench on it and pray you can produce equipment. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 07:33:05 PM »
I understand. But some of you guys say ďhow many years will your body handle hand cuttingĒ then you say ďdonít buy a cheap processorĒ so whatís left, rob a bank lol i donít have rich people to help me or anything lol

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 12:45:03 AM »
You don't want to start out in an old processor like that. It would be one thing if you had grown old together, and you knew it's quirks. But even then, it gets to the point you are paying more for parts than payments on a newer one, not to mention the lost production. That thing will wreck you.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »
If its the one at Lutkes for 75k you can get one with a whole lot less hours for the same money. I think Kip at Pat's Heavy Equipment has a couple with Rolly IIs for around that prices with a whole lot less hours.

From experience there is no such things as a "cheap" processor. There's expensive low hour sit and produce equipment and "cheap" wrench on it and pray you can produce equipment.
So that Ď07 with 8100 hours would be safer? The way I look at that is it must have sat around a lot if those hours are accurate and if it is accurate than it most likely has all original components. So in the next 2-4,000 hours I may put a lot of major parts into. Already needs under carriage. And I bet if it was looked at in person itís got problems. I donít know what the answer is but I do know Iíve seen low hour headaches. Past 10,000 hours there all the same. And ďbad infrastructureĒ well my equipment should fold right up then 😂 Thanks guys prolly keep looking and saving. 

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »
I understand. But some of you guys say ďhow many years will your body handle hand cuttingĒ then you say ďdonít buy a cheap processorĒ so whatís left, rob a bank lol i donít have rich people to help me or anything lol
Its a catch 22 isnt it?  Buy the machines to save your body, then work 10 extra years to finance it and not lose your collateral.
The banks sure have it figured out. 

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
When your looking in that price range they all have problems. Just a matter of how minor or major. Personally I'd rather do an undercarriage over say chasing down a glitchy measuring system, or resealing pumps and valve bodies.

Personally I'd never buy a fabtek 4 roller on anything. If going fixed head it would be a logmax 7000 or possibly a Rolly 2. Then again I'd probably never buy a fixed head tracked carrier either.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »
Roll the dice.

Offline teakwood

• Senior Member x2
  • Switzerland
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2021, 11:14:50 AM »

So that Ď07 with 8100 hours would be safer? The way I look at that is it must have sat around a lot if those hours are accurate and if it is accurate than it most likely has all original components. So in the next 2-4,000 hours I may put a lot of major parts into. Already needs under carriage. And I bet if it was looked at in person itís got problems. I donít know what the answer is but I do know Iíve seen low hour headaches. Past 10,000 hours there all the same. And ďbad infrastructureĒ well my equipment should fold right up then 😂 Thanks guys prolly keep looking and saving.
the 07 with 8100h isn't safer. after 8000h every machine starts giving troubles and things to tinker on. very valid points from every member here, you have some good points too!
the problem with 35k hours is that every component that hasn't been changed could start to give problems, even metal parts and original welds. every seal, oring, retainer, hose, slewing bearing, the list goes on and on.
My excavator has 8k hours but 21 years old, after sitting for 2years i had to attend several problems, i was already looking for never machines because it was one thing after another. now i fixed everything and she works again as a beauty she is, but i don't fool myself, a 20+ year old machine will sooner or later give me problems again  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Issues with Valmet 415EX with a Risley slingshot head.

Started by lblack79 on Forestry and Logging

9 Replies
Last post May 09, 2015, 05:41:12 AM
by bushmechanic
xx
Timbco

Started by timberjack 450 on Forestry and Logging

15 Replies
Last post October 29, 2019, 08:25:25 AM
by Rolley ll 415
question
Timbco 445