iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic hose

Started by Firewoodjoe, August 20, 2021, 06:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I've been thinking about a hose machine. Well today I bought about a 10 foot 3/4" 6000 psi with flat face fittings. One straight one 90. $650. I looked up a 150 foot spool of hose and it's just over $40 per foot. So $400 plus the fittings plus owning/buying the machine. That's not enough savings for me. Is the $40 a foot sound about right? 

kiko

I sell hydraulic hose.  Inventory price increases and supply issues are driving the price up. That hose would cost close to 500.  But that is for quality hose.  And we have different local pricing I suppose. I would say 650 for that hose is maybe just a little high if it is good stuff. If it is cheap import stuff they killed it.

Firewoodjoe

It's gates or Parker around here. You say it cost $500. Is that sale price or your cost to make it? 

tawilson

It sure is nice to blow a hose and walk out of the shop 10 minutes later with a new one.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Firewoodjoe

My shop is 1 1/2 away. One of the hydraulic shops is 35 minutes away. Only way a hose machine would save me time is if I had it in a job trailer or made up multiple hoses and carries them. And hoped I had one of the many for my 4 machines. 

kiko

$500 is sale price, but at the moment it is just an estimate.  I can be more accurate when I am at the store and could punch it in .  IMO Parker is good hose Gates is not bad in 4 and 6 wire , 2 wire it goes south.. Just to be clear , when you say flat face fittings are you referring to o ring face seal or bolt flange and if flange do you know if it was schedule 61 , 62 , cat flange. 

Firewoodjoe

O-ring face. I just went out there and looked. 12 1/4 feet and it's parker hose. 

Corley5

I bought a hose machine after I got my first forwarder.  Never have I regretted it.  After owning a Hose Monster Four Roller Fabtek I really appreciated it.  You don't look at the cost of one hose when considering buying one.  You look at the cost of many.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Plankton

I would get a hose machine and a cheap utility/storage trailer for it if thats what it takes. 650 sounds pretty pricy for that hose our local price at a store would be closer to what kikos is.

You start blowing lots of hoses it will pay for itself.

If you dont already do this Hose machine or not I would reccomend making up or buying doubles of all the hoses that are common to pop on your machines and keeping them in the service truck. That downtime driving to shop or driving to store is worth thousands.

I blew a hose on the forwarder loading the second tier on a canadian the other day we had 2 in the truck. 10 minutes downtime. If I had to go to the store they would have been closed before I got there.

Firewoodjoe

And after running it for a week I see no reason to use a terrible amount of hoses except for accidents and lake of hose placement and wrap. Every fabtek style head I've ever seen the hoses are just flopping around. Miss measured and miss routed. Time will tell but I bet I can save half the hoses with a little time and care. 🤷🏼‍♂️

BargeMonkey

I just bought a new gates machine 6 months ago, goes from 1/4 to 1-1/4 and I can do 6 wire. 2800 bucks ? I had to take so much stock with it and basically cost 5k. For me it PAYS to have a machine because I'm basically 1hr to anywhere but your going to tie up HUGE money in inventory to see it, I've probably 10k sitting there and it isn't much. Alot of my stuff is JIC, NPT, keep some 1" 4 wire stuff for the timbco. The problem is the variety of stuff you need on hand, and DONT buy the cheap aftermarket fittings. 

Shop around on CL, FB market place, I fell into a deal where a guy bought out half a hose shop in an auction, I got mostly hose and bigger fittings. When I say I couldnt fit anymore NEW reels of Parker hose in a 1 ton dump I mean it. For like 2500 bucks 😆 had tubs of 61/62 larger fittings and I sold those for what I had in the hose. 

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: BargeMonkey on August 20, 2021, 08:23:05 PM
I just bought a new gates machine 6 months ago, goes from 1/4 to 1-1/4 and I can do 6 wire. 2800 bucks ? I had to take so much stock with it and basically cost 5k. For me it PAYS to have a machine because I'm basically 1hr to anywhere but your going to tie up HUGE money in inventory to see it, I've probably 10k sitting there and it isn't much. Alot of my stuff is JIC, NPT, keep some 1" 4 wire stuff for the timbco. The problem is the variety of stuff you need on hand, and DONT buy the cheap aftermarket fittings.

Shop around on CL, FB market place, I fell into a deal where a guy bought out half a hose shop in an auction, I got mostly hose and bigger fittings. When I say I couldnt fit anymore NEW reels of Parker hose in a 1 ton dump I mean it. For like 2500 bucks 😆 had tubs of 61/62 larger fittings and I sold those for what I had in the hose.
So at 10k investment I'd have to save $100 per hose on a 100 hoses. Hmm

btulloh

HM126

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: btulloh on August 20, 2021, 08:43:45 PM
Or sell 20 hoses.
That's $2000. So I'd have to make 80 hoses for myself. Thanks everyone. I'll pass for now I think. 

BargeMonkey

I could become a Gates or Parker dealer, had the offer from both. Your not talking 10k at that point, add a zero. Unless your a fulltime shop I wouldn't want the insurance headache selling hose. Big money tied up. I've seen the advantage because I run some older stuff, I did my Hood 7000 from end to end this winter for 1/3 of what it would cost me to buy made hoses. 

Skeans1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on August 20, 2021, 08:20:20 PM
And after running it for a week I see no reason to use a terrible amount of hoses except for accidents and lake of hose placement and wrap. Every fabtek style head I've ever seen the hoses are just flopping around. Miss measured and miss routed. Time will tell but I bet I can save half the hoses with a little time and care. 🤷🏼‍♂️
If you're just processing you're probably fine but when you're cutting and processing you'll go through more hoses. When we ran ours the biggest consumer of hoses was from our vine maple ripping them straight out of the crimps. One other thing we did also was swap a good share of the head and piping over to JIC there's nothing like having to shut down to change an o ring on a 1" hose.

moodnacreek

My old junk never exceeds 2500 lbs. I am still using reusable fittings when I can or cheap surplus center crimped hose but you can only get pipe or 37 degree jic. [or use there adapters]   That 6 wire, flat face, Cat. etc. is way out of my comfort zone.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Corley5

The four wire 3/4" wear and fail at the same point.  I had all of mine shortened so I only had to replace a 3' piece of hose.  Not 10'.  And I learned quick about ORFS and converted to JIC.

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Corley5 on August 20, 2021, 10:01:40 PM
 The four wire 3/4" wear and fail at the same point.  I had all of mine shortened so I only had to replace a 3' piece of hose.  Not 10'.  And I learned quick about ORFS and converted to JIC.
Did you use the dog cabin on both ends? Did you double wrap the hoses with the big coil wrap so it's not hanging on the hoses? Also I like the idea of 3 foot hoses but doesn't that create a new wear spot with a large area of fittings all against each other? 

mike_belben

Stagger the joints and put 1.5" firehose stubs over them as abrasion sleeves, ziptied in place.
Praise The Lord

Corley5

I liked having each hose wrapped in a fabric sleeve better than the plastic coils wrapping the whole mess.  The coils held them together so they rubbed harder on each other.  My observation.

Firewoodjoe

Yes the Kevlar is good but it doesn't matter what's on it if the hoses move. That's why I like the coil. It holds everything tight. No sliding around. I used 3/4 wrap and the big wrap. From the dog chain down I see no reason those hoses should wear. Where they bend coming out the bracket is triple layer and the dog chain holding up tight. Time will tell. I ran out of 3/4 today but it's way better than it was!  

Corley5

Right where they go into the head is where they wear.  Doesn't matter what you do.  You'll see.  I ran mine for four years.  The hoses do move in that spiral wrap.  

so il logger

The way they are hanging out I don't see any hope for them in the woods. When they designed that they thought it was a good idea I guess? Fire hose around exposed hoses has proven better than spiral wrap for me, but in that application I'd say buy a hose machine and lots of fittings

Thank You Sponsors!