iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jarraff in the neighborhood

Started by Roundhouse, August 25, 2021, 01:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roundhouse

We have a railroad that runs behind the house and last week one morning I heard the sing of a saw at work. A quick check of the backyard confirmed there was a contractor back there brushing back limbs along the right of way. I'd never seen one of these a Jarraff in action. Pretty interesting rig making quick work of the branches and limbs with a circular blade. 

As the cutter moved up the line a bit to the next trees another contractor followed along with a self loader clearing the cuttings off the main and side track. 

They don't do this too often and normally with the railroads own cutter that focuses on the ditches, not the high overhead stuff. I happened to have a picture from a week before with allowed for a before and after. In the top photo the branches have grown over the main track and you can make out the outline of the train where the hole in the foliage is.

I had to look up this machine for a crash course on what the Jarraff is. It looks like this one might be a couple years old compared to what they show on manufacturer website. A couple days after I saw it working they had it parked, waiting to be trucked to the next job I presume. 

Interesting machine, am I right in thinking the basis for this machine is an off-the-shelf running gear normally part of a skidder or forwarder? I can just about imagine a cab fitting onto that notch at the back of the engine hood.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Nils Jonsson

I saw one of those in France once. Amazing machine. According to the French people who showed it to me the name "Jarraff" refers to the animal giraffe. It was claimed then to be a French machine but I'm not sure about that. 

mike_belben

i let the clearing contractor park one on the lawn overnight for safe keeping when they came through a few years ago. 

Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

Very cool of you Mike, VERY cool indeed.
Trying harder everyday.

Southside

Any reverse engineering inspection done that night Mike?    :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

Did they check the hour meter when they picked it up? ;D

Quoteam I right in thinking the basis for this machine is an off-the-shelf running gear normally part of a skidder or forwarder?
Looking at the website and pictures everything looks custom fabricated especially with the side tilt crane turntable, and railroad wheel setup. The hydrostatic axles and engine would be "off the shelf" parts.
Also good to see they are built in St. Peter MN, USA. smiley_thumbsup

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside on August 25, 2021, 10:13:05 AM
Any reverse engineering inspection done that night Mike?    :D
not that they know of.   ;)
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Quote from: mike_belben on August 25, 2021, 08:59:06 AM
i let the clearing contractor park one on the lawn overnight for safe keeping when they came through a few years ago.

How many nights did you stay up trimming your trees?

mike_belben

thats for amateurs.  i doze anything i dont want to grow and gravel it. have an acre yard that can be done by weedwacker now. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

Just saw one that looked like that on a back road. I think Lucas had it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!