iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree ID please

Started by Chris Hammock, September 03, 2021, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Hammock

Hi All!  First time posting. I need help in identifying this log. I have someone giving me the log and they thought it was Chestnut but I'm unsure.  

Tacotodd

Howdy Chris, welcome aboard.

Now that the niceties are done, back to your question. Me personally, no idea. I'm in the extreme minority here! These other guys usually JUMP at the chance to talk about kinds of wood; I just like to cut & play with my chainsaw.

Stick around & you'll get your needed reply soon enough.
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

I think it is in the red oak family but there are many in it.  Someone sharper than me can tell you for sure if you get clear closeups showing the pores in the growth rings on the end cuts.  
Praise The Lord

Tacotodd

All that I know is there are parts of the center that looks kinda bad, but it's fine for firewood.
Trying harder everyday.

doc henderson

are those some leaves growing out the side of one of those logs.  a pic of that would help as well.  or is that just moss and weeds growing up though?  welcome.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

Way too mangled for me to
Tell, the butt end does look like red oak though after it dries a bit. Freshly cut the heartwood sticks out a lot
A1

WDH

I have no idea of where this log is located.  My initial thought is chestnut oak.   But, it you are in Southern Louisiana that would be unlikely but if you were in West Virginia that would make sense.  Location and site matter a lot.  No alpine fir in South Georgia. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chris Hammock

Thanks everyone. I live it East Tennessee. I'll try to get better pictures early next week with better detail.  

WDH

You are in the right place for chestnut oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!