iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees with berries ID

Started by etd66ss, September 10, 2021, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

What this next thing is I also have no idea except it favors a cherry of some kind .No thorns

Al_Smith

Third and last .The other two are bushes ,this is a tree .By the leaves it looks like something in the maple family .That tree is 40 feet tall .

Wattwood

Al:
The first one is a hawthorn. Sometimes the fruit don't amount to much of anything. The second is one of the eleagnus species- Russian olive. It is one of our big invasive bullies in Ohio. Originally brought in for reclamation I would guess through the Soil Conservation Service. If you run your hand along the stem you'll find modified thorns. The spotted fruit are a clue. The third I think you have two species in the picture. The leaf on the right is a maple. I would guess silver due to the depth of the sinuses but could be red. The fruit is connected to a viburnum. One of the cranberry bushes. It may be tall but it's not a tree. The leaf is maple like in appearance. There are American and European versions. The American versions of most of the viburnums are being hit hard by the viburnum leaf beetle. If the picture is from an urban area it would be a reasonable guess that it is European. 

I haven't fact checked the info above. Just working on recollection. I'm just eating a bowl of cereal and typing away...
LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

Old Greenhorn

That third tree is a Silver Maple, we called them swamp maple when I was a kid. Very white wood, not terribly strong compared to other maples but makes good interior finishing millwork wood. Definitely not red maple. Red is the most populous maple in NYS and I hate them almost as much as the Striped Maple, if that's possible. ;D
 Silver maples were often planted as urban ornamentals (sidewalk tees) but they have terrible ground root systems that require trimming if you want to mow the area. They can also lift sidewalk right out of the ground. If I recall, they have a heck of a tap root too but I was 12 the last time we dug out one of those stumps. I just remember being down in a hole up to my knees cutting roots. The tops bush out, they love sun. Over the ages branches die and break off. Carpenter ants love them. Mature trees are very subject to storm damage if they are unprotected by other trees. I am not a fan. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Al_Smith

Historically the lay of the land where that fence row is is on the lines of two different townships which crosses my land .The northern side had been cleared and was probably once crop land .The southern is all big tree woods .Fact I have some monster big oaks as does the rest of that remaining woods land .
What is in those  thickets now is very diverse which I assume might have been planted by bird droppings .The deer seem to be quite fond of the  thickets due to the fact they are browsers about like a goat .

Al_Smith

Rambling on. When I moved here in the 90's that approx 2 acres of land was not mown and had grown up with about zillion little what I thought to be silver maple saplings and big heathy weeds .On new years day with 2 inches of snow on the ground I ran a flair mower through the whole mess and stirred up about enough field mice to feed half the red tail hawks in northern Ohio for a month .For the next two weeks at the crack of dawn those hawks were perched in the top of trees .It's all grass now but I still get the hawks in lesser numbers .
As far as maple trees I thought the native was sugar maples and the silver and red were transplants and had the twirlies like a sugar maple .Never knew about red "berries " on any .

bitternut

Al you have hawthorn, autumn olive, and highbush cranberry.

etd66ss

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on September 20, 2021, 08:11:05 AM
That third tree is a Silver Maple, we called them swamp maple when I was a kid. Very white wood, not terribly strong compared to other maples but makes good interior finishing millwork wood. Definitely not red maple. Red is the most populous maple in NYS and I hate them almost as much as the Striped Maple, if that's possible. ;D
Silver maples were often planted as urban ornamentals (sidewalk tees) but they have terrible ground root systems that require trimming if you want to mow the area. They can also lift sidewalk right out of the ground. If I recall, they have a heck of a tap root too but I was 12 the last time we dug out one of those stumps. I just remember being down in a hole up to my knees cutting roots. The tops bush out, they love sun. Over the ages branches die and break off. Carpenter ants love them. Mature trees are very subject to storm damage if they are unprotected by other trees. I am not a fan. :D
I agree on the soft maples. Silver maples are the worst. My forest is primarily Silver Maple & White Ash. The emerald ash borer killed a lot of my ash, and the Silver maples drop a lot of garbage on the ground. I logged quite a bit of silver maple when I bought my land, and dug out stumps with my CAT 225 excavator, a reasonably large machine. The stumps gave that excavator a hard time. Some of the root balls were 8 ft in diameter by about 6 ft deep, and they don't give up the dirt easily, so some of them I could not even lift off the ground and had to push them around with a dozer.

SwampDonkey

Yes, you have a viburnum in with your maple photo. It can be one of several species, and not always highbush cranberry. Some species, if you try to make jelly it will be a terrible mess. I think Jeff tried some from an unknown viburnum species and it wasn't good. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Hows come so many foresters and so many different opinions ? ??? If it is highbush cranberry from what I read it smells like dirty socks cooking down .Not to worry I'll let the birds have it .About the only thing I fool with are the black walnuts from a 100 foot giant in my woods .Largest black walnuts I've ever seen in my life .If they conked you in the noggin it would lay you out .Fact this time of the year perhaps I should don my brain bucket ( hard hat ) if I venture out there .

KEC

The last pic looks like Highbush Cranberry. The New York State DEC (state wildlife agency) sells packets of trees and shrubs for wildlife plantings. They used to offer Highbush Cranberry for the berries for birds. Most birds aren't crazy about eating it, but the thinking was that it stays on the bush all winter, so it is available if they need it to survive.

Al_Smith

I guess I don't pay attention .About 20 years ago that thicket was nothing but deer browse .Looking at it when I took those pictures it's got 30 foot trees in in it .I'd imagine the squirrels planted any nut trees if there are any  .Wind blew the cotton woods and maples  and most likely the birds did a good share of the others especially the black raspberries I dearly love .I just forget to pick them because the season is rather short and I'm usually busy with something else .  

Old saw fixer

The wildlife get my black berries before I can.  The worst bunch of chiggers I ever got was picking black berries years ago.  Kind of don't want a repeat so I tend not to wade in a patch anymore.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Al_Smith

It makes you wonder exactly how these things propagated .In mine plus nearly 10 acres of adjoining woods I've found exactly one catalpa tree .It's a gnarly old thing slowly dying for the last 20 years , eventually I'll need to drop .How on earth did it ever get there to begin with ?

Thank You Sponsors!