iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanx Henri

Started by Rhodemont, August 23, 2021, 08:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

Henri was down graded to a tropical storm when came ashore but still took out a few trees.  Not sure how I will get this one down?
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Magicman

First remove the fence.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAB

Quote from: Rhodemont on August 23, 2021, 08:47:50 AM
Henri was down graded to a tropical storm when came ashore but still took out a few trees.  Not sure how I will get this one down?

In the bottom of the picture along the rock wall is that a power pole?
In answer to your question: I would suggest using a forestry winch and try breaking it off.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Southside

If you don't have a lift then remove the fence and go from there.  Don't use a ladder no matter what you do. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chevytaHOE5674

I'd grab it with the grapple bucket or pallet forks on the tractor and put some upward tension on it. Then cut the stem off just above the fence. Lift it up and backup until you can set it cleanly in the field.

mike_belben

get a stout couple plank or piece of C channel or something 6 or 8 feet long.  lean it against the trunk from the inside of the fence to make a skid, lash to the tree however you deem best.  if using wood, nail it into the trunk.  rope the top half just above the break and yank it off with pickup .  itll jump the fence and at worst slam into the skid.  if not oh well, its a board. you could be looking at the sky from your living room.  be happy.
Praise The Lord

Kodiakmac

Call Rent-a-Rookie. 1-800-saveyou.   :)
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Rhodemont

I plan to take a little advice from each.  First take down fence boards and maybe pull a couple posts.  Then use chainsaw to safely remove as much of the top as I can.  If I can trim enough that feel comfortable with the FEL supporting what remains I may cut it off.  Or pending on how attached itis may use the Norse winch and pull it off.  No Ladders! 

Iwawoodwork

Thats an easy one.   As the break is still partially attached to the trunk. start out at the bucking off the limbs and short manageable pieces(fire wood) back to the stump. If you think the top portion is going to break loose from the stump before you finish bucking put an X prop under it about where the limbs start and another X at the fence and buck it up.

Resonator

X2, cut into manageable pieces and work your way toward the trunk. If you cut a saw log out of it, I would watch for major cracks or other defect where it broke off. Sometimes the trees that snap off were already weak with rot before a storm hits.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Rhodemont

Resonator got it right.  Went out and took a close look, there is a crack right down the middle to chest height.  Guess I will just go half & half on the sawmill.

Rhodemont

Phase one completed.  Topped off all that I can and down to the limbs/trunk that is under load against the ground.  Going to use the tractor FEL to lift a little and cutoff what I can as phase 2.

Ed_K

Rhodemont. if you haven't done it yet push the tree sideways with the lip of your bucket. If you try to lift it and it breaks off it may push your bucket down and give you a heart skip. DAHIK.
Ed K

Rhodemont

Yes it would be exciting if the top breaks off.  I plan to use my tongs which hang from my bucket by chain and just lift ends a few inches enough to cut some that is currently under stress against the ground..  Set it down and repeat until the lift starts to move the break at which time I will stand back and evaluate what next.

HemlockKing

I would just nip away at the crown, clear it up, determine which co leader all the weight is on, cut every branch and co leader but that, then when your down to the last part, remove a section of the fence(not the posts, just planks) so you can fell it into the field because it's gonna wanna go that way anyway with that snapped hanging top, don't fall it towards the top jagged into the ground but sideways so it falls on its side if that makes sense? So I'd fall it away from the POV of the picture down the field 
A1

Rhodemont

Mission accomplished

beenthere

Didn't know you had that JD with FEL for equipment to use.. 8) now we know.   
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!