iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another tree ID

Started by JoshNZ, October 14, 2021, 10:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

Not very often I come into stray logs but here I am only a week later. No guesses on this one yet. Thought I'd ask the gurus since I'll end up coming here for confirmation anyway.

Edit: I've removed the two leaf photos I think that's something else the logs are sitting on. Will try and update with a photo later.

JoshNZ

Here's another few pics of the tree beside it, owner thinks it was the same. First leaf is up 10m or so, so that's an image at 17x zoom hah.

Yellow poplar..?

SwampDonkey

Probably, but a knarly one. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JoshNZ

I might take the big log with the limbs and slab it, looks like it will be figured whatever it is. there's not really anything there worth sawing into boards anyway.

JohnW

The leaves look like yellow poplar, as you suggest.  The logs don't make me think yellow poplar, although I guess they could be.

JoshNZ

Here's the piece with the limbs slabbed up. Pretty nice really. Odd smell, almost like a cow shed but not quite.

Pretty happy I grabbed it whatever it is

WDH

The sawn wood is certainly not yellow poplar.  YP is diffuse porous.  Your slabs are ring porous.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Yeah that aint the tulip we have here.  Leaves look right though. Hmm
Praise The Lord

wisconsitom

"Yellow poplar", aka tulip tree, is Liriodendron tulipifera.  There is also a Liriodendron chinense, and this could be that.  Does not explain the wood grain discrepancy though.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

WV Sawmiller

Not like my poplar. As a wild guess any chance it could be a Neem/Chinaberry of some sort? Also looks like some chestnut. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JoshNZ

Yeah I could believe chestnut, looking at pictures.

The smell is something I've smelled before but I can't put my finger on it... Like when you've held someone's baby but handed it back because it's crapped its diaper, and you're not sure if you got any on you but you can definitely smell something off staying with you... Relateable?  :D :D

Ill fire through an email to a friend he may know.

mike_belben

just wait til its your baby, its covered in crap, and so are you.  good times. 

;D
Praise The Lord

JoshNZ

I'll have a frame to affix said baby to, for such situations. And a pressure washer next to it with a warm water supply..

mike_belben

I tried.  Mom will veto that and send it back to the house for a recount. 
Praise The Lord

JoshNZ

I might be grasping at straws now but I dropped in again today, the arborist has done a remarkable job of cleaning up, no brush left anywhere that I could find.

I did see the area littered with these leaves, yellow and wilted and nothing around that seemed to resemble them though I didn't look that hard.

Does whatever might sprout these leaves align with what I've got here sawn?

mike_belben

Dunno but i reckon youre lucky to still have that thumb josh. 
Praise The Lord

JoshNZ

Lol put ya magnifying glass away old feller.

I was changing knives on the planer and clonked the rotor onto my thumb while turning it by hand. Did a good job of sharpening them evidently.

JoshNZ

Riight I think I'm done being a clown now. I went back for the other logs today and found a new growing point with new leaves.

Could it be elm?

mike_belben

Youre in new zealand right?  The cut logs have sprouted shoots on the ground?  

Only tree ive seen do that so far myself is locust.  Google rubinea.  

Are you holding individual leaves or are they stemmed together?
Praise The Lord

wisconsitom

Appears to be from a different tree than previous photos.  Not especially elm-like.

WDH

I believe that it is elm because the leaf characteristics indicate elm, doubly serrate leaves and the inequilateral leaf base.  Bark looks right too for some of the elms that have a scaly-ish bark.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wisconsitom

You're seeing things I did not, W.  I was looking for unequal leaf bases but see no such in photos provided, or at best, a tiny hint of same.  Not saying you're wrong, but rather, if this is present, it is quite subtle in this case, if there at all.  That said, I'm no completist expert on the elms of Asia and points southward.

Definitely not from the same tree as earlier leaves shown.

WDH

In the first photo, on the leaf between his fingers, the leaf base shows a bit of inequilateral but I agree that it is not obvious or dramatic.  Maybe the OP can take pics of a few more leaves showing the leaf base. If they are actually inequilateral we should be able to see it.  

JoshNZ

Yes I think the owner originally saying it was a twin to the neighbouring tree has been incorrect. I arrived to logs on the ground and a well cleaned up space. The yellow leaves I found around the place are from another scrubby tree that got flattened underneath it in the process according to him. So, scrap everything I've said prior to this.

I don't think this growing point has burst since the tree came down, I just didn't notice it until now

Individual leaves I was holding but they're not bunched from same steam. I'd say eliptical, definitely serrated. One leaf per node, I think.

I wish I could send the smell, I'm sure someone would know it.

Ianab

My guess is some sort of Elm. 

Don't know them well enough to tell you species though.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!