The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Mushroom and fungi growth on stacked firewood  (Read 663 times)

Offline farmer mark

• Share Post
Mushroom and fungi growth on stacked firewood
« on: October 17, 2021, 11:00:08 AM »
Has any one got a solution for preventing mushrooms and fungi growing on firewood.  Been very wet fall here in wny.  They are starting to grow even in full sun south side split stacks. Wood is stacked in double rows for sale next year. Red oak tops that were down a year before I cut them are the worst.  I am now going to single row stacks running north and south.  Wonder about spraying with bleach or something.

Offline Coastallogger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Mushroom and fungi growth on stacked firewood
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 11:13:55 AM »
Has any one got a solution for preventing mushrooms and fungi growing on firewood.  Been very wet fall here in wny.  They are starting to grow even in full sun south side split stacks. Wood is stacked in double rows for sale next year. Red oak tops that were down a year before I cut them are the worst.  I am now going to single row stacks running north and south.  Wonder about spraying with bleach or something.
I think it is probably better to expose one of the end grains south since wood does most of its drying from the end grain.
Also, I cut corrugated metal and have it drain to the sides, a few inches wider than your stack. I pile that on top of the pile so it sheds the water when it rains. Lap it like shingles so it sheds onto the next sheet.
Make sure your bottom row is off the ground. I use a rack I built in one afternoon out of scraps.
But ultimately, mushrooms wont ruin your firewood if its dry enough.
Building 20X20 dovetail log cabin off grid.

Online Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »
Mushrooms need a few things to propagate: Moisture, cool shade, and temp changes with a heavy rain to stimulate emergence if they are growing naturally. Growers will fool the mushrooms to stimulate emergence several times a season by soaking the logs, then stacking in open air and the shade.
 To prevent this, keep the wood dry and keep the inner areas free of moisture with air circulation if you still have issues. Still you may see it on the ends that can get blown rain on them.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, yet.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 03:15:27 PM »
What coastal logger said.  Palletize, in the sun and wind, under tin.   Never ever a tarp
Isaiah 63:10

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 03:30:38 PM »
Buck, split and stack'er under cover off the ground with good air flow. 8)
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline farmer mark

• Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 07:10:46 AM »
I guess I'm going to have to cover it.  That's a lot of tin for a hundred face cord or so.  Beginning to think I was smarter when I was younger and just sold it all green.  Been experimenting this fall with rows stacked in different directions.  East west stacks look good on south side not so good on north.  North to  South seem to look best so far sun hits both sides. Sure wish there was something I could spray on to kill it.

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 09:38:02 AM »
This time of the year you can get all kinds of mushrooms and toad stools .Unless you're in the south where it doesn't get so cold I won't worry about them .I certainly wouldn't try to eat them though. Some of those things can be toxic ,not good . :o

Offline Coastallogger

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 09:55:58 AM »
I guess I'm going to have to cover it.  That's a lot of tin for a hundred face cord or so.  Beginning to think I was smarter when I was younger and just sold it all green.  Been experimenting this fall with rows stacked in different directions.  East west stacks look good on south side not so good on north.  North to  South seem to look best so far sun hits both sides. Sure wish there was something I could spray on to kill it.
Good to hear the results of your experiment! 
If you are doing it commercially, you will get better value out of tin compared to the other alternative: tarp, which in my experience sucks. It holds water in its divets, doesnt last long in the sun, and doesnt provide a wide enough hat brim to keep the rain from driving into the stack. Most of the water that comes off the tarp tends to drain into the wood anyways.
You can probably find cheap tin at a recycler or put an ad on FB marketplace. Lots of people happy to get rid of it.
Building 20X20 dovetail log cabin off grid.

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 10:27:56 AM »
think of tin like a boa constrictor.  the water thats squeezed out, doesnt get back in.  youll season a lot quicker with it than without it.  what gougers want for "rustic, decorative, barn find" old tin is a crime but oh well.   sheetrock screw old tin scraps right to wood on top the pile nothing else will hold it down better.  a 6 inch overhang and a good pitch really helps, just be sure you arent shedding onto the pile next to it.  
Isaiah 63:10

Offline DiamondLane

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to cover it.  That's a lot of tin for a hundred face cord or so.  Beginning to think I was smarter when I was younger and just sold it all green.  Been experimenting this fall with rows stacked in different directions.  East west stacks look good on south side not so good on north.  North to  South seem to look best so far sun hits both sides. Sure wish there was something I could spray 
Spray fungals mushrooms with antibacterial dishsoap & water kills them. Add vinegar too or alone. Hydrated line builders lime powder sulfer lime powder ,baking soda works fine, but absorbed can slow, raduce burn as sodium bicarbonate is co2 antiflame, can use baking soda on ground undeneath area for spores dropped,stop spread of!

Offline Sauna freak

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 10:46:51 PM »
I wouldn't mess with tin.  I like to use cheaper stuff.  Scrap OSB or plywood.  Not sure if it fits with your customers demands, but with good, straight grained wood I will split out a bunch of flat "boards" roughly 10" wide.  I use these to cap the pile with a spacer along the inside edge to slough water off like shingles.

The simple answer, is that your wood is too wet if the fungus is persistent.  Airflow is the answer.  If your wood was cut wet, there is no way to avoid a certain amount of fungus and fruiting bodies showing up. If they are dry to the touch and don't continue to propagate, I don't worry.  If they are soft and spongy or slimey, problem.  If the wood is properly drying, they are the last gasp of the organism that is already established in the wood trying a hail-Mary at reproduction.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
How long is split and stacked firewood viable as firewood.

Started by mart on Firewood and Wood Heating

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 06:05:10 PM
by mart
xx
black mold growth in subfreezing firewood kiln.

Started by swmn on Drying and Processing

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2021, 11:42:17 AM
by jimbarry
xx
Old growth Longleaf And Lobolly contrasting growth rings

Started by Woodwalker on General Board

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 02:07:30 PM
by Woodwalker
xx
My Fungi

Started by Tom on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

36 Replies
Last post February 03, 2007, 05:54:13 PM
by SPIKER