iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off-Grid wood boiler? And jotul 507 coal stove-burn wood?

Started by Mainecoast, December 20, 2021, 10:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainecoast

Howdy, I was curious if anyone used a jotul 507 as a wood burning stove? It's listed everywhere as a coal stove. If one burns coal could I not burn wood day and night?  

Secondly- does anyone have any info/first hand knowledge on building an off grid wood boiler system. I'd love to get the wood stove out of the house, I love the radiating heat but the lack of mess and extra space might be nice. If I converted our outbuilding into a super insulated (rock wool) boiler room and pipe in the hot water to a few radiators or base board. I'd like to not rely on electricity or at least public utility supplied. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Mainecoast

I should add something. I'm thinking I'd like to stay away from a regular wood boiler due to the burning out of the tank. What about something like a Shenandoah with self regulating air flow? With a couple inline 12v water pumps? 

Southside

See if there is any info still around on "Black Bear Boilers" or something to that effect.  They were out of Millinocket and had a gassifier water stove they were trying to bring to market in the mid '00s.  I built one from the plans they had out there, took me two years to build it, some of which was a time thing and some just a learning curve, but it worked and worked very well.  I ran mine on 120V but there would be no reason that stove would not run on 12V.  Now I have a Taylor that I am putting in and plan to hook it up with it's own battery storage and an inverter so if the power is out she still moves the heat for me.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

711ac

From what I've been told, a coal stove can burn wood, but a wood stove can't burn coal. 
Not much knowledge about your wood boiler. I'm on season 12 with mine and didn't need to keep up with the market. But mine is a pressurized, gasification type that has a forced draft, very efficient with the wood but just the blower is (iirc) 1/3 hp and I don't know if that's in the range of a battery as a power source. 
You concern with a "regular" wood boiler "burning out the tank" is correct, but due to the fact that most of the old smoke dragons are "open" to the atmosphere. (non pressurized) 
The oxygen in the water in an open system is a recipe for corrosion. 

snowstorm

Quote from: Southside on December 20, 2021, 11:09:04 PM
See if there is any info still around on "Black Bear Boilers" or something to that effect.  They were out of Millinocket and had a gassifier water stove they were trying to bring to market in the mid '00s.  I built one from the plans they had out there, took me two years to build it, some of which was a time thing and some just a learning curve, but it worked and worked very well.  I ran mine on 120V but there would be no reason that stove would not run on 12V.  Now I have a Taylor that I am putting in and plan to hook it up with it's own battery storage and an inverter so if the power is out she still moves the heat for me.  
What size is your Taylor boiler? I have a t1000 I got used 16 yrs ago it worked pretty good. Heated the house and garage it did eat a lot of wood

Thank You Sponsors!