iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

500i or 462

Started by Woodfarmer, January 10, 2022, 04:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodfarmer

I can get a 3 month old 500i for $1135us or a used 462 for $838us, hmmmm which one to choose?

johnsayen

livemusic

They are both very impressive saws. That would be a tough choice. Since I just bought a 400, and love it, I would probably buy the 500 but what you should do, I dunno, lol.
~~~
Bill

Woodfarmer

I have a 500i and love it, so that's the one I decided on. Gonna have twins.

Dave12

I have both but don't have enough time on the 500i for a fair comparison.  I've had the 462 for almost a year and I've only had the 500i for a couple of weeks and don't even have 3 tanks through it.  Initial impressions is there isn't a huge difference between the 2 but the 500i isn't broken in yet and the 462 has a bark box on it and the 500i doesn't...not sure how much difference that really makes other than sound.

The 462 is a great saw.  It's head and shoulders above any 60cc class saw (which it should be) without any real increase in weight.  I ended up selling a 362c and 261c that I had because they were just too slow compared to the 462.  I don't do much limbing or cutting above my waist so a lighter saw like the 261c wasn't much of an advantage for me.

I'm currently running 25" bars on both the 500i and 462.

The bottom line is I don't think you can go wrong with either saw.  Did I need the 500i?  Not really.  Did I want the 500i?  You bet I did so I bought it.  ;D
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

Woodfarmer

Check out Exile's muffler covers on FB Marketplace, I bought a double barrel one, made in Ontario.

Dave12

Quote from: Woodfarmer on January 13, 2022, 07:35:11 PM
Check out Exile's muffler covers on FB Marketplace, I bought a double barrel one, made in Ontario.
I messaged them and they never answered. I've got a bark box on order for the 500i too. 
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

JoshNZ

I'd have jumped on the 500i too I think. I'm a big fan of a standard old carb and needles I can tune, a machine I can diagnose/fix/repair myself. But I just got a 661c that is electronic (though not injected) and jeez it runs sweet... If it runs this well for the next ten years I'll be a convert

Walnut Beast

How do you like that 661. Is the C the non  m tronic one ? 

Walnut Beast

From my understanding they still offer the two models standard carb and m tronic 661

johnsayen

JoshNZ

I've got the 661c which is m-tronic. I must have 20 tanks through it by now and I seriously love it. But I'm coming from an old 038 so I suppose I would say that about anything modern, I feel less tired after a session on the 661c even though it is heavier/longer/more power, just because it is more comfortable. And it is just a snappy beast. Snap the trigger and it's on the limiter about as quick.

It doesn't like to be babied, if you hold WOT out of a cut or are making too light a cut it will four stroke, or I'm pretty sure the electronics intervene it's quite a pronounced rpm ceiling.

I have a rediscovered joy for chainsawing at the moment it's a bit of a novelty with how quick and easy everything is.

ehp

I got a new 462 arctic late last fall and I'm still falling timber with it , Been cutting on the landing with a 500 and abit with the husky 592 . I just find the 462 is abit easier on my arms and shoulders than the 500 if I got to fall a bunch of trees that come out of the ground 3 or 4 off one stump , in red maple I get alot of that and lots of times each stem is about 3 feet in diameter so it's hard on the shoulders cutting 4 feet or so off the ground 

Gary Davis

I already had a 460 so it was a no brainer I got the 500I with a 32 in light bar and am very happy with it

YellowHammer

I had a 462 and hated it and sold it.  Very cranky to start sometimes if the weather conditions suddenly changed, or fuel grade was pump has, or anything else that would. A use it to get off its learned or programmed fuel map.  

I traded it for a 500i.  Love it.  8 presses of the primer bulb, 3 pulls, it's running, any fuel, any weather.  When it's warmed up, a half pull, it's running.

Just my personal experience, others may vary.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

How many cc are a 362, and 462?
Too many irons in the fire

Gary Davis

3.6 cu in  and 4.41 cu in

ehp

anybody having any luck finding either a new 462 or 500 up here , Stihl Canada has ZERO of them any no idea on if any are coming

Greyhound

Of the two you are looking at, I'd take the 462.
Better yet, I love the 461.

ehp

I got 3 of the 500i and 5 of the 462's here but just looking for a new saw or 2 . My dealer phoned start to head office and we will not be seeing any saws for a while and there is a very good reason for that , take a guess where 50% of these saws are made and its not China

donbj

Quote from: ehp on May 04, 2022, 12:43:13 PM
anybody having any luck finding either a new 462 or 500 up here , Stihl Canada has ZERO of them any no idea on if any are coming
My son bought a 500i three weeks ago here in BC. We were tossing around the choice of the new 592 Husky or the 500i. Me being a husky guy and so is he basically, he runs 390 and 395, I wanted to wait for the 592 but it was his coin being spent so decided to give the Stihl a try.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

ehp

If you find a 462 or a 500i buy it if you want it as it might be a long time before we see any new ones coming as most of these saws we get are made in Ukraine so no idea on if the factory got blew up or not 

customsawyer

Just sent my 462 back to the shop again yesterday. It has always started well when cold but every now and then when it was hot it wouldn't want to fire. Yesterday it wouldn't fire again. I had switched to the can fuel and it did seem to help with the starting problems. Just frustrating when you have a saw that won't start and you can't really work on it. 

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ehp

I found a dealer that had a pair of 500i sitting on the floor so picked them up , was to have 462s as well but they were 461s

Thank You Sponsors!