The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns


Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:


TimberKing Sawmills



Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools



Norwood Industries Inc.




Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL


Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

 KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service



Author Topic: Pecan - Size recommendations  (Read 570 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline E-Tex

  • Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 313
  • Age: 53
  • Location: Bullard, Texas
  • Gender: Male
  • Rather be Saw'n or Fish'n
    • Share Post
    • www.L2Sawmill.com
Pecan - Size recommendations
« on: February 16, 2022, 03:21:38 PM »
I will be milling a few thousand feet of pecan for a customer.  he wants a finished size of a full 1" X 6" and 1" X 8".

All will be kiln dried, jointed and planed to size.  for indoor use.

What is the suggested Rough Sawn size for this?  I'm not sure how much pecan will move.

Thanks for some help.

LT-50 Wide, Mahindra 6065
L2 Sawmill LLC

Offline E-Tex

  • Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 313
  • Age: 53
  • Location: Bullard, Texas
  • Gender: Male
  • Rather be Saw'n or Fish'n
    • Share Post
    • www.L2Sawmill.com
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 03:26:44 PM »
sorry if I should have put this under sawmills & milling!  
LT-50 Wide, Mahindra 6065
L2 Sawmill LLC

Offline beenthere

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 27739
  • Location: Southern Wisconsin, USA
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 04:03:46 PM »
Quote
What is the suggested Rough Sawn size for this?  I'm not sure how much pecan will move.

You can plan for shrinkage to come up with green dimensions to saw. But not-so-much can you plan for warp from drying.


Radial 4.9%, tangential 8.9%, and tangential/radial ratio 1.8 for shrinkage Pecan hickory green to oven dry:

Wood Shrinkage Table ? WoodBin
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Online WDH

  • Forester
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 33000
  • Age: 68
  • Location: Perry, GA
  • Gender: Male
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 04:16:11 PM »
I'm not sure how much pecan will move.
:D More than a worm in hot ashes  :D.  Pecan is bad to kink at the knots  smiley_devil smiley_devilish smiley_devilish smiley_devil.

For a finished full 1 thick, kiln dried to 8% and planed, saw at 1 3/8 thick green.   You should yield pieces from 3 feet to 8 feet long kiln dried and finished planed to 1 thick if your target sawn length is 8 feet.  It also depends on how flat the boards need to be.  Flat as in perfectly flat boards for a tabletop.

If 8 feet long is the target length, and you saw at 1 3/8 thick green for a final kiln dried and planed thickness of a full 1, figure about 60% of what you saw will finish out at the full 8 feet length, and the other 40% will finish out from 2 feet to 7 feet long. This assumes dead flat on the jointer on one face then planed to a 1 clean face on the other.  

As to width, 1 over for 6 finished width and 1.5 over for 8 finished width should get you to 80% of the boards finishing out at full width and the other 20% will likely be to narrower widths. I am talking about 4-square and perfectly flat to exact width.

If all the boards had to be a full 8 feet long, I would saw 140% of the bf you need for length.  Log quality also makes a huge difference.  Most of what I saw are orchard trees where it is difficult to get a clear 8 foot log.  Above that is limbs with huge amounts of tension wood.  In your area where pecan grows natural, your log quality will likely be better with longer clear boles and your yields should be better than mine.  

Pecan is a hickory, and hickory will vex you and cause you to cuss and swear  :).  Dont deal with it around children and anyone offended by such screaming and haranguing.  Of course you already knew that part, Lance  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline E-Tex

  • Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 313
  • Age: 53
  • Location: Bullard, Texas
  • Gender: Male
  • Rather be Saw'n or Fish'n
    • Share Post
    • www.L2Sawmill.com
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 04:37:22 PM »
I'm not sure how much pecan will move.
:D More than a worm in hot ashes  :D.  Pecan is bad to kink at the knots  smiley_devil smiley_devilish smiley_devilish smiley_devil.

For a finished full 1 thick, kiln dried to 8% and planed, saw at 1 3/8 thick green.   You should yield pieces from 3 feet to 8 feet long kiln dried and finished planed to 1 thick if your target sawn length is 8 feet.  It also depends on how flat the boards need to be.  Flat as in perfectly flat boards for a tabletop.

If 8 feet long is the target length, and you saw at 1 3/8 thick green for a final kiln dried and planed thickness of a full 1, figure about 60% of what you saw will finish out at the full 8 feet length, and the other 40% will finish out from 2 feet to 7 feet long. This assumes dead flat on the jointer on one face then planed to a 1 clean face on the other.  

As to width, 1 over for 6 finished width and 1.5 over for 8 finished width should get you to 80% of the boards finishing out at full width and the other 20% will likely be to narrower widths. I am talking about 4-square and perfectly flat to exact width.

If all the boards had to be a full 8 feet long, I would saw 140% of the bf you need for length.  Log quality also makes a huge difference.  Most of what I saw are orchard trees where it is difficult to get a clear 8 foot log.  Above that is limbs with huge amounts of tension wood.  In your area where pecan grows natural, your log quality will likely be better with longer clear boles and your yields should be better than mine.  

Pecan is a hickory, and hickory will vex you and cause you to cuss and swear  :).  Dont deal with it around children and anyone offended by such screaming and haranguing.  Of course you already knew that part, Lance  ;D.
I'll make sure no kids are near by ;D
So, in summary, mill them 1 3/8 thick and the widths at 7" and 9.5".  If he needs 3000 ft I will mill him about 4000ft.   That sound about right?
ps.....These are native grown trees and the log pics he sent me look pretty darn good!
LT-50 Wide, Mahindra 6065
L2 Sawmill LLC

Online WDH

  • Forester
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 33000
  • Age: 68
  • Location: Perry, GA
  • Gender: Male
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 09:22:13 PM »
Sounds like a plan if you want full length. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online customsawyer

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 5700
  • Age: 53
  • Location: Rentz, Ga.
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 05:38:48 AM »
I try not to saw pecan but when I do I saw 1 3/8" for " board due to how much ours twist. If I needed a full 1" finished I would saw at 1". I have to deal with the same kind of logs as Danny. Your logs might be better.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Offline E-Tex

  • Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 313
  • Age: 53
  • Location: Bullard, Texas
  • Gender: Male
  • Rather be Saw'n or Fish'n
    • Share Post
    • www.L2Sawmill.com
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 08:22:53 AM »
thanks danny & jake!
LT-50 Wide, Mahindra 6065
L2 Sawmill LLC

Online WDH

  • Forester
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 33000
  • Age: 68
  • Location: Perry, GA
  • Gender: Male
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 09:29:23 AM »
1 1/2 thick will get you closer to 100% cleaned up to a finished thickness of 1 at full length.  Since I sell a lot of short pieces too, I dont mind cutting boards into two pieces, but I never cut pecan to a specific cut list like you may be doing.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline scsmith42

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 5774
  • Age: 62
  • Location: New Hill, NC
  • Gender: Male
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 06:59:48 PM »
When we make flooring we try to net as many long strips as possible.  I'm not a fan of short flooring strips, even though they represent an efficient use of the lumber.

Because of this, typically we are milling at least 2" wider than the finished plank width, to allow for straightening the blanks after drying.  So for a 6" wide finished plank, I mill at 8" green - wider if the logs are low grade and more prone to crooking or if the strips are really long.

Our flooring strips are typically 12' - 24' long.  

We also will mill the boards 2x - 3X wider than single strips, as we've found that a 13" plank will often dry straighter than if the same board was edged into a pair of 6 inch boards before drying.  This allows us to have a higher percentage of long strips after post-kiln edging.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline YellowHammer

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 6741
  • Age: 57
  • Location: New Market, Alabama
  • Gender: Male
  • Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2022, 11:08:40 PM »
Are you looking for dead flat, no bow boards, in pecan?  Good luck.  I was sawing some today, even trying to saw for stress, some flatsawn were jacking up 1/2 over 8 feet on the stickers.  Several went right off the mill onto the burn pile.    

I saw a lot of hickory, and cut it all at 1 1/4 thick, for a final KD and planed 15/16 and that works fine for me.  However, although pecan is a hickory, it does seem to behave more extreme, especially the smaller diameter logs, and boards will peel off them like carrot peels.

I have started vertical grain sawing it, and that makes a huge difference in reducing bow, although it will make them crook worse, until the boards meet the edger.  VGS is like rift and quartersawing, so takes a bigger log but produces much flatter wood, but excels for grumpy wood as such as this.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  So dont burn the cookies.

Sawing is fun for the first couple hundred boards.

Online customsawyer

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 5700
  • Age: 53
  • Location: Rentz, Ga.
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 07:12:29 AM »
I have a pecan that I have to saw on the Slabmizer. Will probably saw at 4.25 to 4.5 thickness hoping for a 3" finish. There will be lots of weight add on top to hold them down.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online WDH

  • Forester
  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 33000
  • Age: 68
  • Location: Perry, GA
  • Gender: Male
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 08:30:26 AM »
smiley_devil
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Online customsawyer

  • Senior Member x2
  • *****
  • Posts: 5700
  • Age: 53
  • Location: Rentz, Ga.
  • Gender: Male
    • Share Post
    • The Custom Sawyer
Re: Pecan - Size recommendations
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 11:02:55 AM »
Maybe we should cut it at the project so Danny can help stack it on stickers.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head planer, 30" double surface planer, Lucus dedicated slaber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com


Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Need Info on LM 2000 > Clutch Shaft Size, Pulley Size, V-Belt Size for 23 HP BS

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
3197 Views
Last post October 17, 2009, 07:57:09 PM
by Ironwood
xx
Band Wheel Size VS Motor Size?

Started by skocienski on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
1397 Views
Last post March 07, 2012, 09:43:25 PM
by pyrocasto
xx
file size and image size limits?

Started by grouch on Technical Support Topics

14 Replies
2040 Views
Last post January 06, 2015, 05:11:05 PM
by beenthere
question
Husky 272 p&c size/ring size?

Started by smh on Chainsaws

17 Replies
3334 Views
Last post March 23, 2012, 02:48:01 PM
by smh
 


Powered by EzPortal