The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Just pulled the trigger on 10-30  (Read 2237 times)

Offline OHBucknut

• Share Post
Just pulled the trigger on 10-30
« on: February 27, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »
Just decided to pull the trigger on a swing blade 10-30. I just sold my woodmizer lt15. I did some portable work with it and really enjoyed it but it wasnít really the right tool for some the bigger logs I often get asked to mill. So I looked in Lucas (never operated one) seen them at paul Bunyan and was impressed with functionality and portability. 

Anyways the only thing that scares me about the Lucas is metal. I plan on metal detecting logs but when sawing yard trees I know I will encounter metal. What usually happens when you hit a nail or screw? Bust a tooth? Bust all the teeth? I know there are a lot of variables to the question any help is appreciated. 

Also got slabbing attachment so I am curious on the metal thing with the chain also. Assuming itís like hitting metal with regular chain saw (possibly could file out the damage or could destroy it)? 

I donít know but I see way too many yard trees get wasted bc they are too big for band saw mill or people donít have equipment to move them so the turn into firewood. Those are the logs I want to save with my new mill. 

Online Dakota

• Swing'en in South Dakota
    • Share Post
Re: Just pulled the trigger on 10-30
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 04:07:16 PM »
Congratulations on your new mail. As far as hitting metal, you're going to want to try and not  do that. What usually happens is it knocks the tip off one of the teeth, or all of them if the metal is big enough.  It's good to have a few extra blades handy, especially if you are going to be cutting yard trees. I'd find someone that would be retyping your blades, right away.  Or, you could get yourself a retipping kit that is sold by Baileysonline.com. 

As far as your slabber, it would be about the same as hitting metal with your chain saw.  Hopefully you can stop quick enough before you do too much damage to the chain.
Dave Rinker

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
And it'll happen on the second cut on a new blade at some point, in a churchyard with an audience so you can't even throw a proper tantrum  :D.

We take them in to a saw shop for retipping. I don't see how the kit can side dress the blank but have never tried one out.

We were working with a roller table setup at one point and I swung the blade into a steel conveyor roller. It seriously bent the blade but didn't do much damage to the roller. I tossed the blade figuring it was toast. The sawdoc said to let him make that call next time, he may have been able to save it.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline OHBucknut

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 08:10:24 PM »
Does anyone know anything about carbide insert blades? If it saves me in the field I wouldnít mind paying the price. I have a good local shop for blade work but sometimes itís 2 weeks or so to get something back. 

I know other manufacturers sell them but have not seen anything bout Lucas selling them. 

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 11:02:12 PM »
I don't think it has the power to pull that much through the cut. We have 5 blades in rotation, and still manage to end up on our best worst blade while putting off taking blades in :D. Pressure washing whenever we can has really extended tip life.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 05:24:26 AM »
That sounds good!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline wkf94025

• Full Member x2
  • Tool & Truck Addict
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 01:47:02 AM »
Pressure washing whenever we can has really extended tip life.
Just the bark before first cuts, or as you continue to plow through the log?
Lucas 7-23 swing arm mill, DIY solar kilns (5k BF), Skidsteer T76 w/ log grapple, F350 Powerstroke CCSB 4x4, Big Tex 14LP and Diamond C LPX20 trailers, Stihl saws, Minimax CU300, various Powermatic, Laguna, Oneida, DeWalt, etc.  Focused on Doug Fir, Redwood, white and red oak, Claro walnut.

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 06:11:10 AM »
Just washing the mud and rocks off the bark. That gets me wet enough  :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
pulled the trigger

Started by raven737 on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 11:01:25 PM
by Magicman
xx
Almost pulled the triggerÖÖjust could not do it.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD on Sawmills and Milling

63 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 07:37:51 PM
by ozarkgem
thumbup
Finally pulled the trigger

Started by island boy on Sawmills and Milling

14 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 07:54:14 PM
by Tim L
xx
Finally pulled the trigger