iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

white pine and apple tree compadiability

Started by Hotrod RLC, March 16, 2022, 07:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotrod RLC

i have a full grown apple tree in my yard that i have kept pruned and trimed over the years .tree will bloom but not bear apples . i know it needs poliniating and i have several other apple trees aprox two hundred feet from this one . now question is , their is a big white pine tree that shades the apple tree in the afternoon and all the sun the apple tree gets is in the morning  is this white pine the cause of the tree not producing apples  please advise if so i got a chain saw  :P 8)

GAB

Would just trimming branches off of the pine tree get the apple tree more sunshine?
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Menagerie-Manor

Had about a dozen antique apple trees on my first property and while they did bear some fruit it wasn't until I got aggressive with trimming that they really woke up.. Got out there when the leaves dropped and really took off a lot of the upper growth opening up everything. Following spring they literally exploded.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Southside

You should be getting pineapples from the sounds of it.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hotrod RLC

pineapples would be nice / i know walnut trees cause problems to other type vegitation because of chemical reaction / though pine might not like apple  trees  the limbs touch and are lined up so apple tree gets wind through pine tree . took chain saw and pruners and worked on apple tree . told if it did not start producing i was gonna cut it down // it did not listen  :D 8)

chep

Cut down the pine. Wait 1  year. Prune the apple tree. If you want apples its prob not going to happen under the pine. 

peakbagger

There is a good chance that you need to get your soil analyzed and the soil amended. Get the PH right and then you may need to add calcium and potassium as wel as regular fertilizer. 

newoodguy78

Quote from: chep on March 17, 2022, 10:17:34 PM
Cut down the pine. Wait 1  year. Prune the apple tree. If you want apples its prob not going to happen under the pine.
I agree with what you're saying. You think it's the shade or how the pine needles are effecting the soil that's the main issue? Combination?

Hotrod RLC

in discussing the pine tree and apple tree which is located in our front yard with my wife i have encounted a slight problem /// wife stated we are not cutting pine tree // blooms on apple tree with no apples is what i get  or start chain saw and move to barn in hay loft any suggestions  :D

Southside

You might want to insulate the hay loft first.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

The pine maybe shading the apple, which inhibits blossom development. Apples need full sun. You'll see this on old field, a big old wolf spruce standing there, and an apple seeded under it, it grows 30-45 degrees off vertical and the limbs out in the sun get blossoms and apples.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Prizl tha Chizl

I'd say it was the soil more than the shade. If you've got a half day of direct sun you should be getting a decent crop, all other things being favorable. Unfortunately it's a lot of work to undo what a mature pine can do for the PH. We cut down a spruce 5 or 6 years ago that was shading an apple-as well as our house in the winter. It still hardly makes a crop and I've added quite a bit of ashes and compost underneath. If we don't get a good o this year, I'm thinking of cutting down the Apple too, and putting blueberries there. Where would you sleep if you tried this approach?🐶

Are they blooming at the same time? Apples pollinate pretty easy at that distance, but with plums I've had to set a bucket full of blossom covered branches under the tree to get a full crop before, something you might try as a way to investigate.
"The Woods Is My Church"

Thank You Sponsors!