iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newman No.60 16” jointer

Started by btulloh, April 12, 2022, 08:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Ad showed up a couple days ago for this 16" jointer. Older piece of iron but looks to be in great shape.  These Newmans have a good reputation and I wish I had room for it.  Been wanting a 16" jointer but not in the cards now. Maybe next year. Hopefully one will come along when I have my new shop. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these Newman machines. 

HM126

KenMac

I have no experience with a jointer like that, but I sure would like to have one and get some experience with it!! Great looking machine.  :)
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Larry

I've ran one a bit.  Big, heavy, and smooth machine.  That machine is equipped to make spring joints by using the outfeed table.  Today's woodworker doesn't know what a spring joint is so its never used.

I had and restored a 12" Northfield which is quite similar.  I wanted a Byrd head for it but Byrd wanted $2,700 to make me one.  For that reason I sold it......biggest mistake I've ever made with a woodworking machine.

If that jointer was within a couple hundred miles and had a reasonable price I would be all over it.  Even if you had to store it someplace for a couple of years it would be worth it.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

bluthum

What was the asking price?

I believe that's the first tripod stand jointer I've seen with out cast legs. Do you know the vintage?

Looks very nice.

btulloh

Asking 4k.  Those were made in the late 40's but I don't know for how long. Nice looking piece of iron.  Beds look rust free in the pics, like it was just taken out of service. Can't see the head real well but it looks like a later vintage. I know there are some current heads that will fit these.  Not sure about Byrd. 

This one has a three phase motor. Looks like the head is direct drive off the end of the motor shaft. Didn't say how many hp but got to be at least 5hp, hopefully seven.  Pretty good looking machine and plenty stout.  

This thing is only 20-30 minutes from me. Dangerously close!  It's tempting to get it and store it somewhere but that's just another puzzle to solve and I'm full up right now.  Just too many hurdles . . . but . . . I'm thinkin' about it.

Interesting info about the spring joints. I used to make heavy cauls with spring joints for gluing wide panels. Just used a handplane andthe faired the curve with a flexible sanding block. Took a bit of time, but very useful for some jobs.
HM126

Southside

If you need a place to store it let me know.  We can even offer a maintenance program where we will function check it on a regular basis for you, free of charge.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rusticretreater

I think you need a retired navy man.  That thing is the USS Yorktown!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

teakwood

For 4k you can buy a new jointer with all the bells and whistles, longer infeed table (which is absolutely crucial IMO) and a spiral head, smaller footprint without that motor sticking out. But i'm just no fan of old (antique)  woodworking machinery, i'm all over an old and sturdy machine but when the newer machines are better, more user friendly, safer, then i'm all in for the newer. I find that price to be way too much, just my 2cents 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Southside

You are not going to find a new 16" jointer for that kind of money.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Southside, you may have just talked your way into being a Newman 60 foster parent.  :D  If it's sitting at your place it would be better off in use than just sitting. 

I'm going to contact the seller next week and go look at it if possible. Letting a little time pass may have made the price more negotiable. I've been trying to find the weight of the machine to make sure I can haul it with my stuff. One site said 1000 lb (no way!). One said 7000 lb (probably not that heavy), the video I'm attaching says 2500 (could be).

This video has a good overview and a slide show of his restoration. Looks like a good piece of machinery. 

https://youtu.be/8rzYw_ty0-A
HM126

scsmith42

Newman and Newman Whitney equipment is top quality production equipment.  I think that it's priced too high though, but it should be a solid machine.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

farmfromkansas

My experience is if you wait till you are ready, there will be none available or affordable.  So I vote buy now. Look at what a Grizzly 16" costs.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

btulloh

Good points in the last two posts.

I am going to call and set up a time to go look at it this week.  I plan to take a trailer and cash and a check and see what kind of deal I can make. Ready to load and leave with the machine. They run a business and want to free up space and get an unused asset out their life. Fully depreciated  by now, and they haven't sold it after ten days or so.  They should be ready to make a deal. Start with a 1500$ offer and go from there.  We shall see what happens. 

I still haven't heard @Southside weigh in on whether he actually wants to be the foster parent for a year or so.  :D  Would make the logistics of storage, etc. a lot simpler if he's serious. I'd even buy a VFD to power the machine and take it out there for him to use.

Yeah, these deals don't come along every day. That's a good machine in decent shape. Many of these old machines tend to be rust buckets and basket cases, so this one really does look like a rare opportunity. 
HM126

Southside

I will help anyway I can. We can put it into a storage area or set it up. Either is fine, then you have an excuse to come and play with it! 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

farmfromkansas

Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

btulloh

No!!!  But it's still available. They should be open to a lowball offer now that it's been sitting for a while. I've got way too many things going on right now to mess with it, even though it could be a one day project to pick it up and take it to its foster home in Wilsons VA.  I'm trying to keep it on my radar but higher priorities keep pushing it farther down the list. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!