iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 362 or Husqvarna 562xp

Started by Mack, April 13, 2022, 07:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mack

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

Of course, I'd say Stihl 362 because I own one and like it. But the owner of a Husqvarna 562xp would likely say the same because they have one. 

Trying to decide? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lxskllr

I like my 362 also. Objectively, it's 1# lighter than the Husky, but either saw would be a good machine for you. How are your local dealers? You could select based on that.

weimedog

Love my 562's, but everyone likes something different for a lot of reasons unique to them. Run them both and which u like better combined with which one has a dealer you like better should be the driver for your decision. Not what you read here or hear on YouTube. Both saws are excellent but it's the other things that make one a "win for u" over another. Everyone online pitching one brand or another can't speak or feel for you, only for themselves. :) Neither saw will disappoint but the dealers could, and the BS on line can sour your perception as well if you follow one particular herd or another vs. decide for yourself.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

LeeB

I have a 562 and a 361. Never ran a 362. I like both saws. I've been a diehard Husky fan but have to admit I go for the stihl most of the time. I bought the 361 used and the 562 new. At first I went for the 361 to save the newer saw. Now I don't know why I go for the 361 more.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

firefighter ontheside

I guess that means you are not a Stihl or Husqvarna "guy".  I became a Stihl "guy" after my parents bought me my 025 over 20 years ago.  I had a 291 for several years, but I found I needed more power for the 20" bar, so a few months ago I bought a used, like new 362.  I love that saw.  Its the same weight as the 291 but with a lot more power.  I suspect that you will choose one or the other and become a "guy" who likes that brand.  Good luck and I doubt you can go wrong.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

rank

Around here, I bet used Husqvarnas can be bough for 1/2 the price of the equivalent used Stihl. If price was equal, I'd go with whichever dealer has the better parts and service

Spike60

First question these days is which company can supply the saws to dealers. I know the stihl guys are hurting on pro stuff. Husky is hit and miss. Sold a 562 yesterday to a guy who had called around and I was the only dealer who had any. And I'm down to 3 XP's and 2 XPG's. Bunch on backorder show mid July. :(
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

rusticretreater

You can't go wrong with either saw.  I own a 562xp which I use often.  The autotune makes it a good running saw.  It is fairly heavy at almost 13 pounds and can strain your forearms. The bar on mine is 20" and it can pull the entire chain cutting a log. I cut a lot of Oak. Would I buy it again?  I'm not sure as this has been my first bigger saw.  I would probably buy another brand just to get an idea of where the Husq stood.  

Parts are easy to obtain locally or online for me.  My local co-op is a Husq dealer, Tractor Supply carries Husq stuff, Ace Hardware is a Stihl dealer.  Oregon makes good chains for the saw too.  Shopping convenience for parts should be taken into account.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Big_eddy

Like FFOTS said, some people prefer Stihl and others Husky. I am a Husky fan and have been for years. My only experience with Stihl was an unimpressive MS290. It was no comparison to my son's 562 so I sold it and bought a 562xp. It was only later that I discovered that even the staunchest Stihl fans had little respect for the MS290.
I've since bought 2 more 562s and my only regret is that I did not buy heated handles last time. Getting soft as time goes on.

Either saw should be suitable. Try both and see which feels better for you. And ask around as to which has the best dealer. That's a critical factor.

barbender

It's never fair to compare a pro saw from one brand to a homeowner saw from another. Stihl never made the 290 to try to compete with a Husky 562, nor was a Husky 450 Rancher made to run with a Stihl ms362. Stihl and Husky both make top quality pro saws. I've spent more time with Husky and the sister brand Jonsered, but my limited experience with Stihl Pro saws has been positive.

I get irritated by over the top brand loyalty, honestly. If someone has a valid reason like grip angle, a quality issue, weight or something else I get that. But when I hear someone say, "I ain't runnin' no (enter brand)!" but they can't give a reason, I kind of see it like the kid who thinks his Dad is tougher than everyone🤷‍♂️  If someone breaks out a saw that is different than mine, I say, "hey,, can I try it?!"
Too many irons in the fire

Dave12

I don't know anything about the Husky 562xp but if you're going to go with a Stihl forget about the MS362c and get a MS400c.  A lot more saw for not a lot more money.  You won't regret it.

Dave
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

Skeans1

Been running the 562/555 since 2011 without a hiccup they run well, it's a light saw for the size with good power. The 555 has a 20 most of the time up to a 28 on the small mount and the 562 is normally running a 32 or a 28 depending on the job and the ground I'm cutting. Years ago we tried the 361's with 28's and we were never quite happy with them, the 462 reminds me a lot of my 562 for power as well as weight. One big thing that's noticeable with the 562's is how narrow the power head is as well as how well the AV placement is when running longer bars on these sized saws.

Big_eddy

Quote from: barbender on April 21, 2022, 06:14:17 PM
It's never fair to compare a pro saw from one brand to a homeowner saw from another. Stihl never made the 290 to try to compete with a Husky 562, nor was a Husky 450 Rancher made to run with a Stihl ms362. Stihl and Husky both make top quality pro saws. I've spent more time with Husky and the sister brand Jonsered, but my limited experience with Stihl Pro saws has been positive.
No disagreement from me. At the time my saw was a 1989 Husky 50 special and I knew nothing about the MS290 or where it sat in the Stihl lineup. A co-worker gave me the MS290 when he moved onto a city lot, and set an expectation that it would cut circles around my 50. In his opinion it was a fantastic saw so my expectations were high. I ran it for a month or so then sent it down the road. It seemed larger and heavier than my 50, yet didn't seem to have any more power. Whereas the 562 weighs about the same and has at least another horsepower.

Gary Davis

ehp

If your buying new I would go 562xp or 562xpg, If i was to buy a 362 I would buy a ms 400 instead 

Thank You Sponsors!