iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with information on Sandvik 18" Bar

Started by DHansen, April 22, 2022, 10:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Today I was sold a new Sandvik 18" chainsaw bar 3/8" pitch, .050" gauge and 68 DL.  Replaceable sprocket nose.  Bar and nose sprocket are stamped made in USA.  I bought it to use on a model 61 Husqvarna.  However they sold me a .058" gauge chain.  So I have to go back and get the correct chain or a different bar.  This was their only Sandvik bar.  I am trying to determine if this is a good bar and worth keeping.  This would be my first Sandvik bar.  

DHansen

barbender

That would be NOS, "new old stock", I think they were called Sandvik before they became Windsor. I don't think they are produced at all anymore,  could be wrong on that. Whatever the case, they're good bars, just as good as Oregon Pro bars. The sprocket tips are getting hard to find though, last time I bought a couple I had to get Forester branded aftermarket ones.
Too many irons in the fire

DHansen

Thanks Barbender.  Hard to find any info on the bar.  If it's a quality bar, I'm okay with it being old and parts unavailable.  I like old stuff.

DHansen

barbender

They are definitely quality bars. I prefer them to Oregons actually, mostly because of the sprocket tip. I had Oregon bars that the tip (held with one rivet) would develop a lot of play, the Windsors stayed nice and tight. I came up with my "handle" about 15 years ago when I joined the forum- I had just bent my brand new mail order 24" Windsor bar that morning and it was still fresh on my mind😬 I put it in the vise , bent and beat it back straight, and it's still going today. It's been through at least 3 sprocket noses😊
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!