iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Should i know more about the 500I

Started by dustyhat, June 13, 2022, 05:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

I just bought two Saturday the guy sad pump eight times in the morning and it would start ,it works. But after hard running i shut the saw off after about four trees waiting on the skidder ,i get ready to start back im having trouble getting them started and keeping them running, seems i have to let them cool down, is this normal ? or am i doing something wrong, same non ethanal high octane gas . any tips ,

YellowHammer

Something is wrong.  Mine is exceptionally easy to start, cold or hot.   Cold, I use about 10 pumps, more or less, I haven't seen it makes much difference if I use more, but it sure doesn't like six, compression release in, then three pulls and it's running.  Every time, winter of summer (today was 96 degrees).

Hot, as in shut it off, go get a log, fire it up, then no pumps, no compression release and 1 pull and it's running like it wasn't shut down.

Warm, as in 15 minute shut down or more, I'll pump it a half dozen times, a couple pulls at most, and its lit up.

It starts hot or warm so easy I haven't figured if it's easier to just shut it off and go get another log, or leave it idling, and burning fuel.

I use pump gas, generally non ethanol, with Stihl Orange oil.  

Remember the pumping isn't really to prime the system from a conventional standpoint, it's to get fuel to the fuel injector and I guess, wet it so it can spray before pressure is built up from the saw running.  I'm not sure exactly.  

Except mine is very easy to start and is a beast when it's running.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

boonesyard

Dustyhat, I'll be following this, if you have any more trouble.

I stopped in to my local dealer to pick up a couple new sharpening files last night, and low and behold, there was a 500i on the shelf. My big saw is/was an ms390 that has served me pretty well, but more umph would sure be nice so the 500 followed me home. It also happened to be the last saw they sold before another price increase. Got it home, oiled and fueled and just made a quick cut on a big oak end. Jeez that thing is snappy!! I'll be paying attention to the warm weather starting.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

dustyhat

This is day three with the saws and im starting to like them, probably was user error on my part i never had any thing with a bubble.  but after getting use to them, so far me and the saws are working better together . 99 degrees here and 107 heat index . you got to lay troubles on something.  But only one saw gave me trouble ,but the more i have ran them the better they have gotten.

sawcollector

From the intro of this saw there were issues with vapor lock in some parts of the world, due to the quality of the fuel, that would cause problems with a warm or hot restart. Some engineering changes were made to the fuel system and instructions were changed to say to always prime it 10 times. This pushes any vapor bubbles back to the tank and builds fuel pressure in the system so fuel will squirt on the first spin with the starter, and once it starts the impulse pump will take over to maintain pressure. Use a name brand non-ethanol fuel and never let the fuel get over 30 days old. If it doesn't start easy something is wrong.

YellowHammer

If you think they are snappy new, run a few ranks of fuel through them to get to max hp and it's a "Wow."  I think the fuel control electronically limits the power or fuel ratio during break in.  

I can routinely bury a 28" bar when bucking logs and it eats and throws chips 15 feet.  I'm not sure that it doesn't about have them same cutting speed as my 661.  Or at least it's pretty close.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

FloridaMike

I just ran the first two tanks of gas/oil through my new MS500i.  All I can say is wow!  Easy to start and restart, ate 34" of live oak with ease!  If it keeps getting better with more break-in time, I will be a very happy camper!  It was $1549 before tax with a 28" bar, in west central FL.
Mike

YellowHammer

Unfortunately for my 661, which sits in a corner, my 500i is well worn and still destroys logs.

The only problem I've had with mine is that it throws chips into the open door of my tractor, about 10 or 12 feet away from where I'm bucking on the forks.  Not a bad problem...,
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!