iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

312 years old, what species?

Started by Prizl tha Chizl, June 30, 2022, 03:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prizl tha Chizl

Had a family reunion at Durwards Glen, up by Baraboo last weekend. Was an artists farm in the 1800s, then a monastery, etc.. now the town managed it as a retreat. Interesting place, old log monastery, old growth oak and maple forest, as well as some odd plantings.

There was a 3'+ cookie tabletop in one of the rooms, and then I see this plaque.

It stated the age of the tree and then had a history's timeline of events in the tree's life, but no information as to the species. Is this the once ubiquitous Wisconsin Hemlock Wisconsitom mentioned? The color said butternut to me, but I'm really clueless on this one
"The Woods Is My Church"

wisconsitom

Though thought to have been the single most numerous tree species in that timeframe, it would have been near absent in most of S. WI.  Maybe places like Parfrey's Glen and similar N and E facing escarpments would have held hemlock stands.  So maybe some indeed in Baraboo area in way-back times.

Wood is some hardwood or other, I think.  
Ask me about hybrid larch!

SwampDonkey

Sugar maple probably. Butternut doesn't live very long, maybe 80 years. One clue as well, is the art depicts maple leaves.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Prizl tha Chizl

Don't know why that didn't occur to me after having walked under some ancient hard maple while there, but now that you say it, looks like the answer was right in front of my face. Might have to borrow Wisconsitom's tag line for a while here.😋
"The Woods Is My Church"

Thank You Sponsors!