iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple ID

Started by JoshNZ, September 01, 2022, 06:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

Anyone hazard a guess as to what kind of maple log I've got here? Not a very pleasant smell, the arborist thought boxalder but that wasn't consistent with the leaves I found on the ground (quite broad 5 finger leaves).

doc henderson

is there a pic of the leaves of which you speak?  that is a chunk-O-wood.  may have a bacterial overlay if smells bad.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

JoshNZ

Nooo I don't. Silly boy I know. Could've easily snapped it when I picked one up, my mind was elsewhere.
I do remember it being the generic maple leaf shape, which I noticed when comparing to the suggested boxalder photos online.

I did get to slabbing one of the limbs already, very orange heart (or maybe not heart, just staining?)

It surely is a chunk-o-wood. About 2.5ton I reckon. Put several holes in my truck deck. I've ripped it into 3 chunks and now it's even uglier

KEC

Cut ends and bark appearance resemble the Box-elder (not alder) that grow here in Eastern USA. Box-elder also has unpleasant odor and the leaves resemble ash; hence the common name Ash-leafed Maple. Wood is soft.

SwampDonkey

It reminds me of boxelder to. Although, the heart is pink when fresh cut, darkens on exposure. We call them Manitoba maple up here as that was the source of many of them planted here on most homesteads and have naturalized along the river valley. Not native to New Brunswick. Never saw a straight one and they have limbs going in all directions. Nothing like a straight sugar maple or red maple. Boxelder is considered an invasive weed in NB, unless it's a shade tree in the yard. Then curse it when the wind and ice break major limbs off.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Do you have Box Elder bugs in NZ? They follow the wood.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

JoshNZ

Last time I laid eyes on a maple was in Canada, I don't know much about which species grow and how they get on in NZ. Boxelder seems to be the closest match timberwise.

I suppose I could've found a maple leaf from a tree nearby.

Ianab

Most common maple (acer species) I see locally is Acer pseudoplatanus, either as an ornamental, or a naturalised exotic. Sycamore Maple is one of it's common names. It's from Europe, so the US folks might not be familiar with it. The wood matches the description with very light sapwood, and reddish/brown heartwood, and the leaves are "maple shaped". Wood is used for furniture and musical instruments in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_pseudoplatanus
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Most abundant ornamental in our region is Norway maple (Acer platanoides) for the crimson leaves on some varieties.  But they grow nice and straight like the native ones without real long lateral limbs that break in the wind. It will naturalize around towns, yards, grown up fields here, but never see it really take over. It's not as frost hardy up here. The trunk will usually split or crack and it gets a target canker.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JoshNZ

They ought to call you the NZ wood doctor @Ianab that must be 3 for 3 of mine. I'd say that's the best guess, looking at the leaf and timber.

JoshNZ

I still haven't gotten around to milling this chunk but I saw it had shot some new growth today too...

Does this confirm or disprove anything for anyone?

SwampDonkey

The compound leaves look like ash-leaf, box elder, or as we call them here, Manitoba maple. Acer negundo

Thank You Sponsors!