iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wandering from Tennessee to Alaska, and back, 2023

Started by Machinebuilder, October 31, 2022, 02:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machinebuilder

I am joining the ranks of the retired and for my first BIG retirement trip I have decided to drive to Alaska.

I won't be leaving TN until late April and will be visiting some family in Virginia, and meandering to visit some in Western NY.

From there I am thinking I'll cross into Canada either at Niagara Falls or the Thousand Islands.

then follow the Trans Canada Highway around Lake Huron (Georgian Bay) and Lake Superior.

After that I start having questions. I am not going to have detailed plans or time schedules.

The Trans Canada Highway takes a "southern" route to British Columbia. and I know people that have done that. I was looking at maps and considering a more northerly route from the north end of Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba across Saskatchewan, and Alberta to the Top of the World highway and Dawson City. From there take a side trip to Tuktoyatuk (the arctic ocean).

Does anyone here have any knowledge of that area? I think it is more in the boreal forest and less plains. There are a lot of lakes and not many towns.

There are quite a few parks etc, some are not accessible by road. It looks like it may be some of the most remote places you might go to.

So far my "plan" is to leave home and get back home sometime.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Dave
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

bigblockyeti

I'm definitely following this one!

I'm a long ways away from retirement but your trip sounds quite similar to something that's been on my mind.  The northern route across Canada headed west sounds far more adventurous (and possibly dangerous) than the typical southern route folks tend to gravitate towards.  I hope someone chimes in as to what to expect and what to make sure to take with you.  I'm thinking beyond the typical road trip, multiple spare tires, a few gas (or diesel) cans, maybe a satellite phone(?) would be worth considering.  I'd certainly call the local authorities along every part of the planned trip to see what advice they would offer too.  The few extra fuel cans might be insufficient depending on how far between stations your greatest distance could potentially be.

TN King

Pond jumping is the best way to explore Canada coast to coast, including Alaska.
Good bush pilots are worth their weight.
After that you can make better, safer plans on the ground. Also seeing the wilderness from the air can be very rewarding. You can see many things unavailable by roads.
Timberking 2020 - Mahindra 3550PST - Titan implements -
1840's two story log home - 50x60 log pole barn with 6 stalls - Trout pond - Hardwood timber stands - fruit trees - natural springs and lots of wildlife.

Crusarius

That sounds like a pretty incredible trip. Niagara Falls is little over an hour from me. I would recommend attempting the border crossing at the next crossing down though. Niagara falls can be a giant bottleneck. Last time I went through there it was 4 hours sitting in line.

I forget what bridge but there is one that only take nexus pass. it may be worth looking to that as well. could save you hours in customs.

scsmith42

My advice is don't take any firearms if you plan to cross into Canada.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Old Greenhorn

I was thinking of your border crossing. Crusarius is also. Since you will be in Western NY I was thinking you would be best off with the Thousand Islands bridge (TI) which I have done a few times and used to be pretty easy (comparatively). Either commuters or commercial traffic mostly. But then I thought of a different one and it's not really 'on the map'. If you go up 81 toward the TI bridge, but turn west on NY 12 and take that to Cape Vincent (35 minutes or so), there is a ferry there. It's small, maybe 5-8 cars and it will take you to Wolfe Island. Wolfe Island is a year round community with lots of little neat and quiet places. You drive across Wolfe (grab lunch in a cafe type place) and catch another Ferry to mainland Canada. Quite relaxing the last time we did it. We jus did a day trip loop, from Clayton NY out the the Cape, across to Canada, back east and return through the TI Bridge.
 Anyway, it sounds more in line with your wandering ways. Cape Vincent is a cute little town with a lot of history too. You have lots of options!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

GAB

Quote from: scsmith42 on October 31, 2022, 07:53:35 PM
My advice is don't take any firearms if you plan to cross into Canada.
When we went north in 2017 at a Canadian entry point we were asked if we had any bear spray.  They apparently consider that a weapon if I understood correctly.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

bigblockyeti

Quote from: GAB on November 01, 2022, 11:42:16 AMWhen we went north in 2017 at a Canadian entry point we were asked if we had any bear spray.  They apparently consider that a weapon if I understood correctly.
GAB
You've got to be kidding?

sawguy21

Bear spray is legal for its intended purpose, just don't tell customs it is for defense against two legged predators. To avoid any problems leave it at home and purchase here at any sporting goods store. Hunting rifles are also accepted as long as the proper paperwork is filed with a customs broker in advance and they are declared, just don't try it with handguns.
Gas and diesel are readily available, jerry cans aren't really necessary unless you are traveling off highway, but you will find it spendy. You might want to consider entering Canada at the Coutts Alberta/ Sweetgrass MT crossing. Our highways are paved and generally in good condition, we don't use concrete slabs (thank goodness) but keep the speed down due to wildlife and frost heaves, both can be very hard on vehicle and occupants.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Machinebuilder

Thanks for the responces.

a little background, I am traveling in a 2021 F350 Gas, with a Four Wheel Campers Grandby Pop up Camper on it.

Last year on my trip to Wyoming/Montana I got about 14-15MPG on 2 lane roads (55-65MPH) this gives me a range of around 400MI. I will take a gas can with me but not fill it most of the time.
I did learn that drinking water is a concern. I am building a good water filtration system and will add a couple more jugs to get me to 20gal.
This Summer I installed the Flatbed and bumper. I still have some work to do to.
I am going to build drop down doors for the sides, and need to wire a good electrical connection between the truck and camper.
going to the Flatbed will increase my storage.

I am probably do some work to the interior of the camper, it is a pretty basic shell with a heater. I have an Engel MR040 fridge/freezer that I use as a freezer.
Being able to keep frozen food with me is great, and I use it to refreeze water bottles to swap into a cooler. This also keeps the cooler dry.

I will be bringing my 2 dogs.

They travel well and I don't want to leave them for a long time.

Good to know about the possible delays at the border, I will have to check times before i leave my brothers house in N Tonawanda. (I grew up in Marilla, NY)
The Island crossing looks interesting OG, I'll keep it in mind. I like the idea of crossing at the Thousand Islands, I recall some really nice campground on Lake Ontario, I've never seen the Canadian side other than Buffalo to Toronto (Long ago) I want to avoid big cities when possible.

I have seen on other forums some people had problems carrying bear spray across the border, since all mine is at least several years old I can just buy some new after I cross the border. I don't want the hassle of trying to bring a fire arm with me.

I am not going to worry about the costs, this will be the trip of a lifetime, I want to do the things that I want to do. Like go Halibut fishing from Homer Alaska. Go to Tuktoyatuk, the only road that ends at the arctic ocean. Plus all the other things I find on the way.

I have time to get my ducks in a row and make some more vague plans, and am open to suggestions

Thanks everybody

Dave
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Crusarius

need a co-pilot? A trip like this has been on my to do list for quite a while.

Machinebuilder

Crusarius

Old Greenhorn

Maybe that's a bit more than we needed to know. :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Crusarius

aigheadish

Yeah, this sounds like a great trip and not having a time line will likely be the best part. Find a town you like? Hang out for a week or two, heck get a job and stay for a month! Looks like you've got a nice setup. I'll keep watching this thread, thanks for sharing!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

Andries

The North Shore of Lake Superior is an amazing route. Full of thousand mile views and endless hours of white pines along the highway. Beautiful! Cell reception along the Trans-Canada Highway is continuous - Google maps is your friend. You'll know exactly how far your next re-fuel spot is. There's many small picnic and camping spots along the way. Ouimet Canyon is a scenic spot that you'll find just East of Thunder Bay. Worth the stop.
The world record Brook Trout was caught a few klics Noth of Nipigon, if you're a fishing guy. From Thunder Bay to Kenora, take #11 through to Fort Francis, then North to Kenora. You'll see a lot of logging activity and that route has about a dozen small sawmill outfits along it. In 2023, Google maps will show the TransCan between Kenora to the Manitoba border to be under construction, but not to worry, there're only speed reduction zones for about 15 klics and no stops. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Machinebuilder

Thanks Andries

I guess I forgot to mention that I do a lot of "boondocking" I Hope to find many spots where I can sit back and watch the water.

The Ouimet Canyon is a great example of the little places I enjoy.

Andries

Boondocking is my preferred way to travel as well. 
Another cool 'out of the way spot' is North of Nipigon on Hwy 585 - Cameron Falls and a bunch of scenic lookouts and old logging trails, we'll worth exploring.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

jb616

Keep adding to this thread as you plan and during the travel. I have a very similar plan and will retire in less than 2 years. I have the same thought of the pop up truck camper. Looking forward to learning about your planning and travels. 

OntarioAl

You are doing my bucket trip
The Alaska Highway and the Cassiar Highway at least 2 years in the future.
Ok I am going to shout
DO NOT BRING HANDGUNS INTO CANADA
DO NOT BRING HANDGUN AMMUNITION INTO CANADA
DO NOT BRING BEAR SPRAY BRASS KNUCKLES SWITCH BLADE KNIVES OR AN ASP (STEEL BATON )
As previously stated you can bring long guns that haven't been banned provided you have the appropriate forms filled out.
If you are not bringing legal firearms with you make double sure no ammunition is accidently left in your vehicle  
Our gun laws are written by snowflakes but enforced by Nazis
Your fur babies need vaccination papers and should be chipped and have tags with contact information 
Hwy 16 leaves the Trans Canada Hwy 1 west of Portage la Prairie it will take you all the way to Hwy 37 in BC which will lead to Hwy 37a which ends at Steward BC and Hyder Alaska
Enjoy your trip
Cheers
Al Raman
Al Raman

Magicman

What I found in 2019 was that Bear Spray for Bears was Good
Bear Spray for People was Not Good.
People Spray was Not Good.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Machinebuilder

I think I have found an interesting route across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta

The Northern Woods and Water Route

The link is to their online brochure

There would be quite a few detours as I see something interesting

Andries

OntarioAl speaks words of wisdom.
The International Border folks (CBSA) are NOT to be trifled with.
I spoke last week with a friend that lives on the East side of Lake Winnipeg. The road that has recently been built to go North and then West around the lake is at present a "locals and construction" route only. Next summer it will resemble the original Alaska Highway of the sixties, with a reputation for devouring Airstream trailers. Think "Ice Road Truckers" but on gravel. Tough going, but maybe closer to 'no going'.
Machinebuilder, the route from the brochure is perfect for you. The TransCanada Route is tabletop flat and was built for cost efficiency and not for boondocking. The Northern Woods and Water route keeps you in 'Parkland' wooded areas where the scenery and small town events will make it a fantastic trip. Keep in mind the distance between fuel stops and the fact that Canada has a population of one tenth of the US, in a land area that is much bigger than the USA. Also, if you have a flat tire or breakdown of some kind, the people that will most likely stop to offer assistance are Native Canadians. There seems to be a history and culture of helping fellow travellers that is still honoured today. Good folks!
As you get to BC, the population count goes way up and more of the touristy businesses are evident. It is nice, but a bit less authentic than the history of the fur trade and mining history of of the Prairies. It'll go back to the real deal once you get closer to the Yukon border and small tree high latitudes. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!