iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Atv/small tractor log loader forestry trailer

Started by logman81, January 22, 2023, 01:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike dee

Quote from: logman81 on January 24, 2023, 09:10:16 PM
Has anyone ever put ballast in the tires of one of these trailers to help with stability or is it not worth the effort?
The heavier your trailer is the less wood you can carry...
Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

PoginyHill

Interesting thought on ballast. I think it would help with stability. Are you thinking it'll help for loading logs? Or just stability running through the woods on uneven terrain? As far as weight, in my case, I don't think the additional weight would impact how much I could haul. Power and traction of my tractor have never been a limitation. Since the weight of tire ballast is directly on the ground, there is no impact regarding weight rating. Suspension components and tires are not seeing any more load.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

mike dee

Quote from: Wallys World on January 22, 2023, 09:11:33 PM
I have a Wallenstein Timber Talon. Self powered and surge brakes on it. I got the road legal version. I have hauled meany cords of wood with it.

How tall are the side stakes on your trailer? I bought an 8-ton running gear and need to fab something up. I was thinking of going 4 feet high to give me some room with my loader on the heavy logs.
Bozeman Saw 26"x124"

logman81

Yes im talking mainly about stability for loading logs onto the trailer and might make it more stable on hills but im not sure how effective it might be. I've never heard of it being done before. 
Precision Firewood & Logging

barbender

On a forwarder, I've never heard of ballast being put in tires as you're trying to keep the machine as light as possible to maximize what you can carry over the ground.  Harvesters often do run ballast, at least in the tires under the crane, for the stability it provides. In the case of these small forwarding trailers, I don't know if it would help or hinder

Too many irons in the fire

logman81

Barbender I just someone will have to try it and let us know....

mudfarmer

With the hydraulic drive how does it keep the wheelspeed the same as whatever is pulling it? Or does it not matter? People freak out about tractor tires .5" different in diameter ratio between front and back because "it's gonna ruin yer transmission" but somehow these hydraulic drive trailers are ok?

Does it not matter because you only actually use the hydraulic drive when you are actively stuck/spinning?

(I still want one)

Signed,
Missing Something in NY

PoginyHill

I don't have one, but from what I understand, you would drive the tractor about the same speed as the trailer is being driven. There will be some give in the hydraulics (variable volume pump or a relief valve), so not the same as a drive axle connected by gears. I'm sure there would be some hydraulic whine if the speed was significantly off.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

EricR

I'm trying to figure out the effectiveness of driving the tires as well. If this unit has a 6.5hp powerplant seems to me like it is only putting out about 4gpm at 2250psi.unless my math is wrong.  That would mean each drive motor is getting 2gpm.  That seems like it would be very slow. 
If in a sticky spot I always speed up not slow down. Seems like you would just hit the relief for the motors

beenthere

Watch some of the videos that show the difference the powered trailer wheels make. Might help to see the positive results, 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

nopoint

I would struggle with spending that kind of money unless I was using it a ton. I use a couple farm wagon running gears. They work fine unless you want to back up far. Have been known to pull them 5-10 miles in tandem on the road with a pickup. I have welded on stake pockets at a slight angle and can easily max the weight with 4' stakes. One gear is a standard 8 ton, the other has a tandem rear axle. A good stack of 16' oak logs will squat the tires. I have about $1,400 into the pair although I have to have a machine there to load. Although the machines mentioned would struggle with a majority of the logs I wrestle with. Ramblings from a cheep skate...

nopoint

Hopefully got the photo adding correct, it's been a while. Made 8-10 trips earlier this year on a Saturday. About 7 miles and only had one flat, felt pretty good about that. Probably should have hired a truck....the white oak loads got fairly heavy. Few of the logs maxed out skid steer. Some people spend Saturdays golfing, what was I thinking.

bigblockyeti

What do you have for brakes on those trailers when traveling down public roads?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

The powered wheels definitely make a difference the help get you through tuff spots and are also used for brakes. I believe I can definitely use such a trailer a lot because I'm quickly gaining more and more work requiring such a machine. I already have the tractor to pull it and can utilize it in my landscaping business as well. Yes it is a pricey trailer at just under 12 k but will definitely change the game for me. 

doc henderson

looks like an old lost in space episode.   8) 8)  neat machine.  looks like 2 hydraulic motors, maybe small displacement so the flow is ok.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

stavebuyer

It is a proven concept and $11K is a lot of firewood. My commercial splitter was $12,800 in 2017 and I think the same splitter is in the $18K range now. I kind of wanted a similar but slightly larger rig to pair with my tractor at that time and pricing of $30k was the starting point 5 years ago.

I am not skeptical of such a machines utility but that a machine with all those features (self-loading, self-powered, hydraulic winch, walking beam, hydraulic drive) can be built with quality components at the $11k price point with post Covid dollars.

logman81

Well I have plenty of wood to sell at $300 a cord it won't take many cords to pay for such a machine. It's either that or a used mini skidder that I'm considering as well but that would be a limiting machine I think compared to the trailer and tractor?

stavebuyer

My experience has been when it comes to handling hardwood logs that you need to overbuild by factor of at least 3X for stuff to hold up. If I was buying that machine for personal use and the boom fails, I get an expensive lesson and take it to the machine shop and wait until they get around to reworking it. What happens if you have a loan against it and are depending on that machine to pay for itself as well as buy your groceries by producing firewood logs and have a boom failure? I have not seen the machine up close so I could be shorting it. The price point means they cut some corners. Question is did they cut any in the structural area?

EricR

I tend to agree with stave. I think the atv model metavic makes is double the price

logman81

Well it's what my wife and I can afford and it will be financed and I'm not worried I have a machinist and a great fabricator in the family should anything ever happen. You have to be careful and know the limitations on the equipment you're using and it's better than nothing at all or doing all by hand like I am now.

stavebuyer

I hope it improves your production while making it less physically demanding. 

B.C.C. Lapp

I figure whether this type trailer and loader would work for a guy and if the cost was worth it for him would depend on, how large most of his logs are, what his terrain is like, and if he already has a decent size tractor to pull it.   An ATV is great for a guy just getting his own firewood but it wont hold up to daily use.   And any body thats going to spend $12,000 had better be rich or planning on working with it quite a bit.  

Routinely loading that trailer with oak logs like the ones in nopoint's pics would, in my opinion, bend and fold and bust it pretty quick. 

Most of my jobs small enough that I use my tractor, winch and arch instead of trucking in the skidder are like every job around here, rolling hills with mild to steep grades.   The loader on the trailer would make it a little top heavy I think.  
    I think Ill stick to unhooking form my trailer in the woods, putting on my forks and loading with the tractor. 
Every guys situation and equipment needs are different. I'd like to hear from any one that buys one and uses it for a while and see how well it worked out. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

logman81

stavebuyer my decision is based on I need to have better production and to ease the burden on my body im not getting any younger. I do in fact have 31hp 4x4 tractor that will tow it no problem. This size of wood will be no where near as big as the ones pictured. 

This strictly for pulp and and small hardwood poles no bigger than 16" most of the time. That is the biggest size logs that match my splitter head with limited re splits. So say 8"-16 is ideal size for my operation. I have enough work and timber to cut to work seven days a week .

barbender

Maybe I missed it, but what is the lift capacity on that loader?
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!