iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Octane Booster

Started by D._Frederick, August 16, 2005, 02:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

While I was at Madsen's Saw & Supply, I was complaining that I could not buy premium grade gas that did not have alcohol in it, I could get 87 octane that had only a trace of it.  They said to use an octane booster.

They sell a product called "Two Stroke Power Booster TK7". It is made by TAL-Tech Inc., Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

It says to put in 1/6 oz per gallon to boost the octane.  Is this stuff for real or is it like snake oil of the past?

My Shindiawa saw shop recommends using 3 qts regular gas with 1 qts. 100L/L avaition gas, works good but cant use it in equipment with CAt. mufflers.

D._Frederick

Come on Guys, help me out?  Are you running Alcohol through your equipment and having to re-build your carburator every year?

Tom

wish I could, "D".  I burn mostly regular in everything I've got.  The pump doesn't say that there is alcohol in it.  But, that doesn't mean that there isn't.   The biggest problem I've encurred is "old" fuel.  It just doesn't seem that gasoline has the shelf life that it once did.  It's a pain in the neck too.  My 2-stroke mix begins to deteriorate after 3 or 4 days and causes problems in starting and running after a week.  Since my use is either feast or famine, I usually end up putting the mix in my truck.  Purchasing new fuel for each job is a pain in the neck, but I don't know how else to combat the problem.

I had a carb rebuild on my chainsaw about 2 years ago because of "old" fuel.  Unfortunately the saw has never run like it did with the old carb.  It still does the job, it just doesn't start and rev like it used to.  Twelve years is a long time to work a saw.  Perhaps I just need a new one.   I'm beginning to wonder which is going to last the longest, Me or the Saw.  :D

gary

I run gas with ethanol in it in my weedeater and chainsaw. I also put stabil in all my gas cans when I fill them. I have had my 2 cycle gas last as long as two years with no problems doing this. I leave it in the tanks over the winter and go out in the spring and they start with one or two pulls.

leweee

D.....If you think ethanol is hard on neoprene parts wait till you use the octane booster ::)
used gas with ethanol for the last 15 yrs.....just run the gas out or drain them when you store them for the season.

No av gas...no booster ...just fresh gas & mix... The KISS principle. ;D

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Furby

Gary,
Read that bottle of Stabil and you'll see that it too has a shelf life. Only a bit longer then the gas itself.
What you probly have is equipment that has gotten used to running on old gas and you just don't really see the difference.
It does happen.

gary

Furby I went and read my can of stabil and there is no date on it . I have been putting it in my equipment since it was new mainly because that is what the owners manuals say to do. When we put my gas in other peoples equipment  it runs better than when they run it on thier mix.

sawguy21

leewee, I like Far Side too LOL.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Glenn

I think you can have problems with the oil breaking down not only the gas.  I have a 2 stroke lawnboy mower ( not a chainsaw but just stay with me here!) that I bought new around 12 years ago.  I had been usng it every few weeks but last year I didn't use it at all.  I had shut the gas off and ran it dry.  This year when I went to start it someone had used it and left the gas on - this was sometime last year.  It was hard to start and only ran with the choke on.  I took the carb out thinking there was dirt in it.  I checked the inline fuel filter and it was shiny like new.  I took the carb apart and could not beleive the amount of dirt in it  - it looked like mud.  I'm assuming this was broken down oil.  I've seen carbs that are green from old gas but this wasn't like that.  I cleaned it all out, gave it a bath in kleen flo carb cleaner and it runs like new again.  Again I think it was oil break down not gas break down.  I also have a friend who was using synthetic mixing oil in his bike and noticed that it separates quickly when left standing.

inspectorwoody

Nitros Oxide  :D (The racing stuff!!)

Chris J

We don't get gasohol here.  I run regular unleaded in everything, and use Sta-Bil in my stored gas & 2 cycle mix.  So far no problems.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

floyd

saw calls for "super" gas.

Mix fuel in smaller amounts. only what you will use that session.

beenthere

What's a "session"  ???   :)   ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leweee

Quote from: beenthere on September 03, 2005, 12:24:21 PM
What's a "session"  ???   :)   ::)

some are longer than others!!!! :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Thank You Sponsors!