iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Holland Skidsteer

Started by ronwood, August 22, 2005, 10:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronwood

I found a 1998 New Holland Skidsteer LX885 for sell. I was wondering if they are a good and dependable machine.

Thanks
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

stumpy

It depends on condition, hours and price. I am always watching for a good used New Holland. I believe they are excellent machines, however, it's kinda like the Ford vs Chevy arguement. If it's in good shape and the weight capacity meets your needs and the price is fair, you won't be disappointed.
P.S. Make sure the quick connect on the front is the new style that matches all the available attachments on the market. I believe it's new enough to be ok but it's worth checking.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

ronwood

stumpy

They are asking $11500 with 2500 hrs.

Ron

shopteacher

I have a JD 8875 which was built by New Holland at the time with a JD engine.  I can only speak for myself, but I've never owned a better machine. It will pick a 28"X 16' pin oak log up, but won't pick up a 4000 lb. concrete block. It will take enogh weight off the block to skid it around though.  Solved that by buying a JD 450C. 
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Weekend_Sawyer

That's a pretty good price, I got my 96 lx885 with just under 2000 hours, new tires, remote hydraulics and acomplete oil/filters change for $14,000 and that's pretty good for the DC area.

I have a grapple for mine that can't be beat for log handling, works real well for moving large rocks and brush piles too.

I have found that this thing eats tires on rocky ground, we did a lot of work around our cabin in West Virginia and have almost ruined the tires.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

ohsoloco

That's a good price for that machine.  I have the same model in a '96, and I'm very happy with it ('cept it's too heavy for me to move  :( ).  Can't say too much about dependability, I bought it in Feb.  Those things can lift some big 'ol logs  :)

stumpy

It sounds like a good price, but again, depends on condition. I use EBAY as an indicator. I believs, in general, people pay too much when buying on EBAY (that's why I rarely buy there, just sell). So If I'm wondering about the value of something, I look there to see what people are paying. It's not scientific, but it has been one good indicator of the highest price something will draw.

Jason_WI

I use iron search to see what dealers are getting for equipment:

Iron SearchLink

That is a good price from what i can tell.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

ronwood

The equipment dealer that has the skid steer brought it out this morning. Looks to be in real good shape. Will look at a little closer this evening. Picked up a 28" pin oak around 13.5 ft. long with no problem. If I get a chance I will post some pics this evening. One question I have is how well would it work to drag logs out of the woods. There is times when you are not able to pick and carry them out.

Ron

stumpy

I used mine to drag logs in the woods. It worked terible. Then I bought a set of tracks. WOW!!!! it would go anywhere even in the snow. I highly recommend tracks. The ones I bought were the chain type that you see on EBAY. I had them on a Bobcat. Unfortunately, they don't fit on my New Holland now cause the tires are too close to the machine. They're just collecting dust now.

Buzz-sawyer

Ron they arent too good in the woods at all, they will get stuck quick and waller like a hog.....the tracks help tons....but this woods work just aint for em in my book. :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey Stumpy,
They sell spacers for the tracks to go on a new holland, pushes the tires out about 3" cost, if I remember, $350. found them while researching tracks for mine. That just made it too much for me so I just run tires.
The spacers would also make the tires wider than the bucket.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

redpowerd

stumpy, i may be interested in them tracks if you feel like selling them.

(boy this is a wide thread)

ron, NH skidsteers are very similar to JD. certian models were made in the same plant. go to www.fastline.com and compare prices there.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!