iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dumb question: honey locust or black locust?

Started by Dan_Shade, December 03, 2005, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I sawed up a few logs today, that I thought were honey locust, but upon further review, i'm now thinking they were black locust.

no thorns on the trunk of the logs:

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

the specks on that top picture are from a few rain spots, also the bark on this stuff was starting to go south, where it was on the ground, it smelled somewhere between horse manure and that intestine smell you get when gutting something.  at first I thought my dog did his thing upwind  :D

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

LeeB

not a dumb question to me. I couldn't tell you what either one is. :D LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

Looks like black locust to me.  Honey locust has a reddish heartwood, where black locust has more of a yellowish.  If you have a black light, shine it on the wood.  Black locust will "glow".

Not all locust have thorns.  I've seen a lot of smooth honey locust.  The thorns have been bred out of them long ago for ornamental use.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kirk_Allen

Definatly a Black Locust if Honey and Black are the only choices.  Honey Locust bark is not near as rough as Black Locust. 

I have seen ornamental honey locust that when planted they did not have thorns but the seeds from that tree produced thorn bearing honey locust.  Is that Gods way of saying leave my work alone :o ;D

pigman

Looks exactly like the black locust we have here in KY. Most are used for fence posts.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

what "other" choices could I have, kirk?

this stuff was hard and heavy.

I sawed that 2" stuff out to put down on my open deck car trailer, afterwards, I think I shoulda sawed it to 5/4 or 6/4 instead of 8/4

Corley5

We've got a locust tree of some sort in the barnyard and have always wondered what variety it is.  It does have thorns ;).  I'll get some pics of it of course the leaves are long gone now
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logger

It is definetly black locust, I have a million of those trees up at my place.  They spread like weeds.  I cut alot of it, definetly black locust.  Very hard on chains when dead. 8)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Dan_Shade

it's hard, but locust is so durable, I don't mind having some.  great for building stuff that will be outside.  I like getting "junk" wood :)

oakiemac

From the pictures and your description of the smell I would say Black locust. I cut some a few summers ago and it smelled like cow manure.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Modat22

That be black locust, its really good furniture wood, I call it junk mahogany but its a real pretty good and durable as heck.
remember man that thy are dust.

SwampDonkey

black locust up here are smooth barked, but are non native.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Daren

There is nothing "junk" about locust. It IS hard on tires trying to harvest it with the thorns. I have built tons of patio furniture from it, very pretty and I will never get the call saying it is going bad. Awfull hard on tools, but I practically beg for it. I can't hardly pay what the firewood price is (it burns like coal) so much goes to the Amish for firewood. I guess I look at things a little different, but locust and hedge are 2 trees I hate to see go to the wood pile, I can make some great stuff from them. I know posting pics from an outside site has become a no-no here, but check this link out from my website. It is a pic of a patio set I built for a customer from black locust. Long Link
It will outlast all of us.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dan_Shade

that's what I meant, Daren...  it's unfortunate that it's value is so "unknown"

Daren

Dan, we know it's value. So do these people http://www.blacklocust.org/workshops/ . I am not a ship builder, or bridge builder... just a furniture maker and they think pretty highly of the stuff.

Modat22

I've talked to many wood workers and they refer to locust as the US's best kept wood secret. Most woodworkers love the stuff and substitute locust for mahogany when they can get it.

When I used the term junk mahogany when referring to locust I use the term in a good way. Locust is beautiful lumber.

LeeB

I have learned something on here. I saw my first locust the other day and was able to identify it by the stuff I've picked up on this foruim.LeeB 8)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dan_Shade

join the club, Lee.  I've learned a lot around here!

hawkeye

You do have Black Locust "Robinia pseudoacocia" aka Yellow Locust in some locals because of the color of the wood. It saws easy if you cut it while it is still green. It makes a great fence post and the quail love the seeds. If you have a bee keeper in your area have them put a hive near the trees when they are in bloom, the honey is excellent.

chassawyers

I saw you post and just had to have a look.  Locust is one of my favorites!

I was cutting some osage orange recently in a grown up old pasture and there were some big locust in a burn pile!  I begged to take possession and salvage them.  I was granted salvage rights.

These have a diameter of about 24" and at least two good cuts of 10 feet each.  The trunks are loaded with the most vicious thorn clusters you ever saw...6-10" nasties!  Internal wood is redish brown with white sap wood.

I spent an hour looking up exactly what species my tree was.  Lots of sites but nothing definitive.  I can tell you from my research my tree is definitely either black or honey locust (all humor intended).  Your tree looks like the ones in my yard.  Mine do not smell bad though (no comment).  They have nice little white flowers with a sweet honey smell.

One thing I can say fer sure is I love the locust.  I quarter saw all my hardwoods and the locust is excellent.  I am hoping for enough to do a floor.  I fill the imperfections with clear epoxy and sand smooth.  I think of it as having the durability of oak and the toughness of hickory.  You will love it the more you use it...chas

Modat22

I think of locust (ether honey or black) as american mahogany, great stuff for furniture (just make sure you pre-drill everything)

Daren

Quote from: Modat22 on March 10, 2006, 08:52:32 AM
(just make sure you pre-drill everything)

If not you will be digging out broken off screws, it'll snap the heads right off. I just got dibs on a decent load today. The city is doing some work at our sewer treatment plant. They have to expand into the timber and do some clearing to set manholes etc. I went out with the city guy and marked what I wanted. Some decent locust, good and straight but not very big and a couple nice sycamore. He will cut them and bring them to me, we work together alot.

SwampDonkey

I had to do that with white ash also. I was using brass screws on one project and there was no way to get them all the way in without a pre-drill. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

willscot

Honey locust thorns are long and skinny and in clusters, Black locust has short stubby single thorns like on a rose bush. Black is more rot resistant than honey, but bees like honey better ;D

Thank You Sponsors!