iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Fungi

Started by Tom, December 18, 2005, 05:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I was in the passenger seat on the way to town (not allowed to drive when the wife's along) when I spotted this rather huge mushroom beside the driveway.  I said "I want a picture of that".  she said "It would make a good picture" and continued on.

I rather forcefully said, " I want a picture of that".

She stopped and backed up.

I guess I can be intimidating when I want.  :D :D

I have no idea what this thing is.  Couldn't find an ID site on the web this evening.
It's kind of pretty though, isn't it?

Steve

Tom

I believe that is an Amanita Muscaria or "Death Cap".
At least that is what they look like in the NW and Alaska as well. Pretty amazing if the same thing prospers in Alaska as well as Florida..
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Tom

It certainly looks like one, doesn't it?

I can't believe that one site I read said that some people have eaten this poisonous mushroom with no ill effects by parboiling and throwing out the water.   Sounds like Russian roulette. :)

Minnesota_boy

Some people survive Russian roulette too.  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SwampDonkey

I've seen them here in the fall in our mixed woods. They will open up wide like an umbrella.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

Quote from: Steve on December 18, 2005, 05:19:46 PM
I believe that is an Amanita Muscaria or "Death Cap".

Yup, sounds about right. Pretty but not too good to eat.  I suggest staying away from the Amanita family unless you really know what you are doing :o :o :o

Most mushroom are not deadly, but this family of mushrooms are pretty bad.  Some of the related Fly Agaric which are very bad in the USA have folk lore behind them in Norway.  Apparently there is a variety there that has a super human effect, lore has it that the Viking warriors would drink a mixture of it before battle ;D  This way as there limbs were chopped off the would just keep going :o
Max
Very nice pic Tom thanks 8)
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Jeff

I dont think so....  I am pretty sure its a Fly Agaric (Amanita Muscaria)

Poisonous, but often pictured in story books for kids. Rather unmistakable.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Modat22

that my friend is a Fly Agaric poisenous
remember man that thy are dust.

Jeff

Actually, my understating was that the vikings drank the urine of those they forced to ingest the mushrooms. The hallucinogenic would pass through the body of that person into their urine, leaving the nasty poisons behind.

Modat22

Quote from: Jeff B on December 18, 2005, 09:51:11 PM
Actually, my understating was that the vikings drank the urine of those they forced to ingest the mushrooms. The hallucinogenic would pass through the body of that person into their urine, leaving the nasty poisons behind.

Aye the bezerkers mate. Wouldn't wanna meet one in a dark alley.  ;D
remember man that thy are dust.

srjones

Isn't that why the reindeer fly?  I thought it had something to do with that...   :D
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

IMERC

Quote from: Jeff B on December 18, 2005, 09:29:26 PM

Poisonous, but often pictured in story books for kids. Rather unmistakable.

GREAT!  teach the little ones these are cool...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Max sawdust

Quote from: Modat22 on December 18, 2005, 09:45:19 PM
that my friend is a Fly Agaric poisenous
According to my Audubon Mushroom guide there are two Fly Agaric's in the USA.
Amanita muscaria var. muscaria (Blood red cap common Rockies and west but seen in the east)  This one is considered poisonous causing delirium, raving and profuse sweating.
The second is Amanita muscaria var. formosa (Orange-red to yellowish cap, common in the eastern USA.) This one is poisonous too, however not as quite as bad, only causing sweating deep sleep and disorientation.
Quote from: Tom on December 18, 2005, 05:28:17 PM
I can't believe that one site I read said that some people have eaten this poisonous mushroom with no ill effects by parboiling and throwing out the water.   Sounds like Russian roulette. :)

I think Tom's mushroom  is the var. formosa, because it is less poisonous and common in the east this could be why he read some people eat it.  :o  "some people" do alot of stupid things :D

Interesting Jeff, had not heard that variation to the story. ;)
Max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

estiers

Isn't that how pokesalad (aka Pokeweed, Phytolacca americana) is eaten without the ill effects too?
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Jeff

QuoteInteresting Jeff, had not heard that variation to the story.
Max

It just boggles my mind to ponder the thought processes that would lead people to do such things.  Ancient man must have done a lot of stupid things and we must of weeded out a bunch of them to get to where we are today. :D

SwampDonkey

Although kings had people to taste their food for poison effects, it came in handy to find a use for discovered edible plants to. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Max sawdust

Quote from: estiers on December 19, 2005, 09:37:02 AM
I can't believe that one site I read said that some people have eaten this poisonous mushroom with no ill effects by parboiling and throwing out the water. Sounds like Russian roulette. :)
Isn't that how pokesalad (aka Pokeweed, Phytolacca americana) is eaten without the ill effects too?

Too my knowledge parboiling to remove toxin or to improve flavor is a common technique for many plants.  In Russia and Finland certain mushrooms that taste off or have mild toxicity when just fried are parboiled then pickled.  They are amazing prepared this way  :)

It is not Russian roulette if you look and see what chamber is empty before you pull the trigger :D :D :D
What I am saying is if you know what you are doing and follow all precautions it is science and not Russian roulette.  ;D  With that said, I think a person is DanG nuts to eat Amanita, too many real killers in that family of mushrooms

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 19, 2005, 10:11:08 AM
Although kings had people to taste their food for poison effects, it came in handy to find a use for discovered edible plants to. ;D

Human ingenuity 8)
It is one of the things that separates us from the rest of the animals ;)  For better or worse  ::)
Max

True Timbers

estiers

I remember something from my Mycology class in college.  The professor said that many wild mushrooms that we eat have toxins that are harmful to humans, they just aren't absorbed into the blood stream.  That is of course unless you drink alcohol during the meal, then you could get in trouble.
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Max sawdust

Quote from: estiers on December 20, 2005, 08:13:00 AM
I remember something from my Mycology class in college. The professor said that many wild mushrooms that we eat have toxins that are harmful to humans, they just aren't absorbed into the blood stream. That is of course unless you drink alcohol during the meal, then you could get in trouble.

Yes, that is correct.
A very common Mushroom inky cap which grows in many yards is very good eating IF you do not consume alcohol with it :o

In fact a Russian friend of mine says they used to treat alcoholics with a certain kind of wild mushroom.  Apparently, the toxin from this mushroom would stay in your body for weeks, if the alcoholic "fell off the wagon, they would become ill  ;D

Max
True Timbers

Rockn H

:D :D Everytime I read something like that I have to wonder just "who" and "why on earth would you ever."  :D I'm mean just how would you figure something like that out?  Was drinking that stuff normal?  It's like parboiling Pokesalad.  Your buddy eats some and kills over so you think "well, we're going to just keep trying till we figure out someway to eat this weed."  Which is really good with scramble eggs mixed in. ;D

SwampDonkey

Why don't you guys get with us Maritimers and eat some spring fiddle heads of the Ostrich fern.  ;D  :D

http://www.elements.nb.ca/theme/ethnobotany/perils/jim.htm

crtreedude

Well - I bet you all are thinking - "I wouldn't ever eat something like that!" HAH  ;)

Look up cashews (which grow here) - more than a few tourist have discovered that you don't want to eat the nut until it has been processed! Caustic like you wouldn't believe

You all like cashews don't you?  ??? ???

Usually in the tropics they don't eat the nut - they eat the fruit.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

IMERC

The figure it out method limits how many captives and enimies ya have on hand at any given time.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

SwampDonkey

Quote from: crtreedude on December 20, 2005, 03:38:09 PM
Well - I bet you all are thinking - "I wouldn't ever eat something like that!" HAH  ;)

Look up cashews (which grow here) - more than a few tourist have discovered that you don't want to eat the nut until it has been processed! Caustic like you wouldn't believe

You all like cashews don't you?  ??? ???

Usually in the tropics they don't eat the nut - they eat the fruit.

And who'da thunk it, I got a 1 kg jar of Planter's Cashews sitten right here beside me. ;D

Oh, and i had fiddleheads last sunday for dinna. ;D

crtreedude

I suspect it is also based on "when you get hungry enough, you will try anything..."

Let's see - starvation on the one hand, trying a new food on the other. One way or another, your pain will soon be over...  :o

See Swampy - you ole poison eater you!
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!