The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Honda Like Engines on E-bay  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
Honda Like Engines on E-bay
« on: March 14, 2006, 12:38:07 AM »
Anybody ever try one of these engines ???

EXTRA LONG URL THAT WAS TURNED INTO A LINK BY A HANDSOME, CARING AND DILIGENT ADMINISTRATOR

You could buy four of them for what you'd pay for a comparable Honda.  I just wonder if they're any good.  I'm tempted to buy one for a Troy-Bilt tiller I bought in Fl.  I think the engine on it would run with some tinkering but why tinker and buy parts when a new motor could be had that cheap and just bolted on ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline isassi

• Dis-member-ed
    • Share Post
Re: Honda Like Engines on E-bay
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 06:02:44 AM »
They are a Chinese "clone" motor. The small motor guys don't seem to have much positive to say about them except run them til they blow, buy another. I don't know for sure, but I don't beleive Honda parts will actually interchange.

Now for the flip side, if they are a direct Honda clone, and last like a Honda, how could you go wrong? I have a cement mixer that has a B&S that requires 1/2 an hour of work, EVERY time we need to use it. Gets old sometimes. I have a concrete saw with an 11hp Honda, that can sit for months and starts on the second pull, EVERY time. I understand Toro offered a lawn mower, gauranteed to start on the third pull for years,...that went away quick.  :D Bet their dealers got tired of the eating the tune ups.

We all know American engineering is the best, but why oh why can't we get away from the small motor crap they feed us and have an American made small engine that good?

Offline highpockets

• In Memoriam
  • I'm old
    • Share Post
    • our page
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 06:09:37 AM »
Look what Harley did for years.  Finally Honda made them look at their hole card.  The Japanese do market studies and see what folks want. The American manufactures make something and tell us to buy American to save the country. 
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Offline jrokusek

• Share Post
    • DIY Bandmill
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 09:36:29 AM »
I have one of them!  It's called a "Vortex" engine.   I bought the 13HP model from http://www.zjig.com.  The guy isn't real responsive to questions, but I got a heck of a deal!   It looks like a Honda, sounds like a Honda, but it ain't a Honda.  I have it on my homebuilt sawmill and really like it so far.  I've only run the sawmill to do a few test cuts but it's obvious that it works as advertised.  Starts on the second or third pull when it is 80 degrees or 20 degrees, I usually only start it every 6 or 8 weeks so far.   Quality appears to be similar to B&S....in other words....it ain't a Honda......

Overall I think it is worth the money.  For a tiller it would be hard to go wrong.  If you were going to put it on a piece of equipment that you depend on every day......I'd buy the real thing.  Pictures: 

Jim

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 09:50:22 AM »
These cheapie clones are killing our engine sales but there is little we can do about it. The importers are sneaking them in under the EPA's radar in small numbers but that can't last for long. I expect the Chinese engines will get better as they will need to meet more stringent emission regs but of course the price will go up. For the moment they are disposables.  We won't  take them in for repair as the genuine Honda parts won't fit for the most part and we don't want to be saddled with warranty issues.
Briggs has politely suggested that any dealers stocking the knockoffs will be subject to cancellation which  would mean losing any warranty work on the equipment they sell.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:47:31 PM »
I was at BJ's the other day and saw a mini bike with one of them honda clones and I tell ya I could take the muffler off my honda on the wood splitter and i bet it would bolt right on. :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline isawlogs

• Senior Member x2
  • A smile is contagious ... Start an epidemic
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 11:27:59 PM »
 How much are those imatation Hondas , I need a muffler for mine ..
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Offline getoverit

• Senior Member x2
  • freeing trees from silence
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 12:11:06 AM »
I just wish they made one bigger than 20hp... I'd buy one in a heartbeat at the cheap prices they have... I might even buy 2 of them, just to have a spare for the future.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 10:41:24 PM »
You better buy two and another one when the first one sprays parts. That way you will always have a spare.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Small Engines - Honda vs. Briggs and Kohler?

Started by LOGDOG on General Board

37 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 07:23:46 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
24 hp Honda

Started by Tim L on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 09:55:30 AM
by ksu_chainsaw
xx
My 20 HP Honda