iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Terex TX51-19 Telescoping boom loader

Started by Bibbyman, February 22, 2003, 03:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Last Thursday we took delivery of a new Terex TX51-19 telescoping boom loader.  This was the conclusion of a hunt that started last November.

The Terex has a lifting capacity of 5000 lbs. And can lift to 19' and reach out an extra 10'.  We chose a telescopic boom loader over a wheel loader because of it's low overall height would go under the headers of our buildings and made it easier to get in and out of.   We found the telescoping boom added considerably to the functionality of the machine.  Plus, with the bobcat standard toolbar and extra hydraulic fittings, we could use it for all kinds of jobs around the sawmill and farm.

We also tried out a JCB 520,  John Deere 3400, and CAT 908 wheel loader.  We also test drove a New Holland LM430 on their lot.

If you'd like to read more about the Terex and the other machines,  I have fixed up some web pages with pictures and all.

Review of Terex and other loaders
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Rick Schmalzried

Bibby,
You are making me green..... :'(

No, not because you didn't buy Cat, but.....I want one too!  :D

Hope you are able to work it to death (in about 20 years of course! )

--Rick
_         
|_| .  _ |
| \ | |_ |<

dan-l-b

Great pictures Bibbyman,  looks like the Terex cab isn't much higher than a pickup truck.  The salesman lifted that big ole water oak, but was he able to manuever around?  Did you foam fill the tires?  That machine comes with a remote control too? :D :D

Bibbyman

We've not foam filled the tires.  Going to wait to see if it's really needed - for extra weight or puncture protection.  Got a feeling it'll be ok without it.  

No, we didn't try to move this big water oak with any of the machines we lifted it with.  Probably will trim it up some and maybe split it before sawing it anyway.  Besides, it's a little muddy around it so better let it stay where it is.  I did push the boom out about 3' before it started to tip - that's about as far as I got with the much bigger and heavier JD.

Rick,  
We waited a good long time for the CAT dealer to get a deal set on a CAT TH210 or 215 that would have been much like the Terex but he finally came back and said CAT was not going to import them.
Sawing since '94

sawwood

Nice looking lift Bibbyman. I know you where looking for a
 log mover and seems like you found the right one. Will have
 to come down and see it in person.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

biziedizie

I want one of those machines!.........Does it come with a cd player and a cab heater or is that extra? ;D

Steve

kcbarnes

I rented one like that to set the roof trusses for my garage last year, one sweeeeet machine!

Kevin_H.

Yep...I am way behind on my toy's...er tools. My wife say's I can buy anything as long as I can make the payments on it... Well we will see.

Nice looking rig Bib and mary
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Don P

Those things are sweet, I'm jealous 8) We rented one for a week last summer and they forgot about it for over a month...whoopee!

That was setting 28' x 12" tie beams on house walls.

This was the homeowner's daughter in law on her first try at it, she had forklift experience and was cruising the windows up to the job within a few minutes.

Frank_Pender

Good for Mary and yourself.  It is always nice to acquire a new "toy" for around the farm and mill.  I am sure Mary will appreciate it much more as she may not have to work as hard getting the logs onto the mill bunks. ;D
Frank Pender

Larry

I'm jealous to!  :D  If I had one I would keep in hid in the barn so the neighbors won't see it.  But since I have seen it do you think you could wheel it up here this spring so I can paint the house with it? ;D ;D

That link is pretty cool to with the thumbs and all. 8) 8)  Good work!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Haytrader

Looks like prosperity dun hit Warren Sawmill.
That is one nice looking loader and I, like all the others, envy you guys.
 Bib, you didn't get in the dog house, did ya?
 :D  :D  :D
Haytrader

Bibbyman

Naha,  This is as much Mary's doin's as mine - probably more.  We'd been working the 4660 AGCO Allis too hard and needed something meant to do the job but yet not too big.

I may point out this class of machine has a several major difference from the bigger models shown by Don and Kc..;  The boom is mounted and hinged lower.  There is only one extension instead of two or more.  And the main chassis or frame does not have a leveling system.  Also, they are more compact with narrow wheelbase and track width.

Most equipment manufactures have a machine like this in their lineup.  But it's hard to find a dealer because they are normally classified as a farm machine.   The farm equipment dealers don't know about them or think they are construction equipment.  The big equipment dealers apparently don't want much to do with them either.  
Sawing since '94

leweee

Congratulations  8) 8) 8) got to start saving my pennies,looks ideal for small operation like mine .forklift,loader,boom crane all in one. ;)like they use to say in the old ESSO comercial HAPPY MOTORING!!! :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

ElectricAl

Bibbyman,

We know it's been a challenge trying to narrow the field of machines down.

Each unit had it's pros and cons. One of the biggest cons of passing up the Cat loader is you don't get a COOL CAT HAT.

But, hat's aren't everything (except a Fourestry Forum hat),
cab placement, door height, visibility, were major issues.

I'm sure it's a pleasure to operate, but the real pleasure comes when Mary is operating her new loader.

You know, the boss gets the best seat at the sawmill.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Brian_Bailey

Bibbyman,  That's a real nice lookin machine.  I've seen them advertised in the Ag. mags and always thought they would make a fine addition to a sawmill operation.  You'll find that the telescoping boom is real handy.  I sure like that feature on my crane.  Just becareful when extending a lot of weight off the end of the boom.  Mechanical advantage can work against you.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

D._Frederick

Hey Bibbyman,
That is a nice looking machine, should make moving logs and lumber a lot faster. I Was wondering with all the new equip. you are buying if you have to pay personal proberty tax on it? Here in Ore they took off this tax a number of yours ago.

Bibbyman

Yea,  we got to pay property tax on it.  >:(

Sometimes I wonder is it's worth it to work you're butt off and pay tons of taxes when it would be a lot easier to lay back and not have nothing but do nothing.
Sawing since '94

OneWithWood

I think the boredom  of doijng nothing would drive us all crazy

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

I think Property taxes are counter-productive.  

You have the freedom in this country to buy and own as long as you pay for the priviledge...over and over and over....

The Mafia used to call it paying for protection but the Feds didn't think it should be legal.  

I have wished many times that there would be another way.  People don't improve their homes because the taxes go up, drive old cars because of personal property taxes on the new ones being so high. ???  A sales or use tax might replace it but I'm not smart enough to figure it all out.  :-/ :P

Aha!  Maybe if Gov. wasn't so big, it wouldn't cost so much. :)

Bibbyman

In Missouri,  personal property tax is the major way counties and local schools are funded.  The rub comes when the older folks have the property and the younger folks have the kids.  The younger folks don't tend to vote so there is always a conflict.  

Then we have some counties that are mostly state or federal forestland but have a substantial population. These areas are depressed with little industry and little personal property to tax.  The disproportion even happens inside of a county when one school district has a major industry to boost tax revenue and thus the rest of the district can enjoy a lower rate while a few miles away,  the residents pay twice as much.

Sure will be glad when spring gets here so we can really put that new Terex to use. 8)
Sawing since '94

pasbuild

A few years ago I built a cold storage building for Terx where they manufacture your fork lift, I had the use of there largest unit ( turbo diesel ) it did so much work I almost fired half my crew. The square shooter is the cadilac (sp) of construction fork lifts. They had just started production of the model you have @ that time so I didn't get a chance to try it out ,I do know that it is of the same quality as there other models and that you will be very happy with your choise.
BTW they foam the tires there for $100 per
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Bibbyman

I was under the impression the Terex I got was built in Italy.  Do you mean the Terex distribution depot where they import them into from other parts of the world?  I think my unit was shipped out of a little town in northern Mississippi just south of Memphis, TN.

After doing all this study,  I get the impression there are only a couple of companies actually manufacturing these loaders and other companies are having their versions made with their name on them.

Also,  I found out that a lot of brand names are owned by some other company that was some other company but bought out by someone else.  So the brand name family tree now looks like a brush pile.

Welcome to the Forum pasbuild.   8)
Sawing since '94

dail_h

WAY TO GO BIB!!!!!!!!!!
   If I can't have new toys- tools ,i'm glad for someone else enjoy that rig.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bibbyman

Well, two major developments.  

1) The dealer got the bobcat standard toolbar in and sent the fixit guy out Thursday to put it on.  It works better than the adapter he had rigged.  Note the hydraulic connections available for running thing like a posthole digger, log grapple, etc. They also replaced an ignition switch that worked erratic until it didn't work at all.

2) I found out the limitations of how well it will go in mud.  I'd used it in some pretty sloppy places and it squirmed and spun some but would always go.  This time I got off the packed area and up and incline with a slope.  The tire tread filled with mud and that was it.  Just parked the trusty ol' AGCO up the hill and ran a chain to the boom on the Terex.  Truncated the boom as I let the machine pull it self along.

Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!