iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

in-floor heat on indoor wood furnace?

Started by Chevy, November 14, 2008, 04:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chevy

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chevy

can you explain for me a little snid bit!

Chevy

I am purchasing a newmac indoor wao and wife still wants her in floor heat in the basement. So a little road block. So if you know how this is achievable I would love to hear more!
Thanks Chevy

beenthere

Chevy
In-floor radiant heat is possible with hot water pipes running through the floor.

Hot water can come from a wood-fired boiler, to be pumped through the pipes.

Putting a boiler unit in your garage may be a difficult option for you, depending on your codes.

An outdoor boiler may, or may not be an option for you too.

Don't know how this is possible without knowing more about your constraints and limitations.

I'm not familiar with the newmac and napolean units you are talking about, but am thinking they are not for heating water to be pumped around.

Hope you can come up with a satisfactory design. Especially to keep the Mrs. happy.. :) :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

Might be a good idea to talk to your local building inspecter, ( they are the ones you have to please) then get back here to us. I am pretty sure we can figure something out, just need more details.

Bout forgot, welcome, glad you joined us.
Bill

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Chevy,

Looking at the Newmac website, it looks like all the wood burning units there are either furnaces which provide hot air or stoves that heat the air. If you've already bought a Newmac furnace, which model did you get? Just looking at their site quickly it looks like you may need a different piece of equipment, such as a wood fired boiler if you need to provide hot water for the in-floor heat system...

Course, I don't know much about these things since I live in Florida... 8)

Herb

Chevy

Some more details. I am currently using a Trinity NT1 boiler on propane that is proving to be expensive to heat. I have forced air and radiant floor in the basement. I am in the process of researching and buying a Newmac wood furnace Wao. I have a local contractors discount to buy the unit at very good price. I have found out the building codes for install and have secured a price from my insurance. Which was quite a fight as they wanted to raise my insurance $400.  But what I was hoping was when I go to this forced air wood furnace that I may be able to incorporate my radiant floor with some form of heat exchanger. I am aware of high heat so of course pex piping could not be used. So has anyone else tried anything that has worked?

woodmills1

I  am pretty sure you can get a water heater kind of exchanger that goes inside of hot air wood furnaces.  My previous house had a hot air wood furnace when I bought it and there was an exchanger for hot water next to it but not ever hooked up, don't know if was only big enough for domestic hot water, but it was supposed to be installed in the fire box to heat water.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!