iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Radiator Filter?

Started by Magicman, September 24, 2009, 10:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I've never seen this topic addressed.  How do you guys with water cooled engines keep sawdust from clogging the radiator?  Especially cutting dry hardwood or cedar, and the wind is blowing toward the engine.

I use an air conditioner filter, but then you have to keep it swept off to keep the engine from running hot.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rbarshaw

Change the fan to blow out thru the radiator rather than suck thru it, it will also then sling the dust away from the radiator.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Magicman

Quote from: rbarshaw on September 24, 2009, 10:49:23 PM
Change the fan to blow out thru the radiator rather than suck thru it, it will also then sling the dust away from the radiator.

Sounds like that would suck it in and clog the inside of the radiator instead of the outside?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

;D
Then just put the filter on the other side.    :) :)

Dust in the air is going to get to the radiator regardless which way it is blowin air. Filter the incoming side.
Change the filter when it gets clogged up. Your arrangement looks like it would work the best.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

They have reversing clutches for industrial equipment but I don't know if they come that small.

Stonebroke

WH_Conley

Some of the old stuff you could change the pitch of the fan blades for winter or summer.
Bill

Stan snider

A rotary screen like would be found on a swather or combine would be the cat's meow if it wasn't too bulky. They work really well.   Stan

dukndog

The plastic air filters for a/c units work good. You can just hose them off when done cutting and let them air dry before tomorrow's work.
The combine screen would work also, but it is bulky as mentioned earlier.
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

backwoods sawyer

I would be concerned that by installing a filter that you would be restricting the air flow even more. But then again I have never had a real problem with the radiator clogging up. When I bring the mill in, I give it a bath with a garden hose, and flush the fins of the radiator while I am at it. (Motor is cold).
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!