Started by Stump Jumper, November 15, 2003, 01:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

The Cascades Salmon pools on the North Pole Stream, New Brunswick

Table Rock Salmon Pool on the North Pole Stream, New Brunswick

Crown Reserved Salmon Fishing for residents only, catch and release
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy

This is a shot of the back side of Mt. Kineo on beautiful Moosehead Lake up in Rockwood Maine. It's a mound of flint sticking out of the lake at around 750 feet high.  The American Indians came from miles around for the flint. Of course Jen had to have  "A" rock -- Larry and I got the boat in close  and grabbed her 3 right from the base.  The face of the cliff actually hangs out over the boat.   8)  With the bow of the 20' boat barley touching the shore the fish finder said 78 ft. deep.

This is a shot as we were approaching her from the south side.

What a great weekend
 :) :) :) :) :)

I link to an aerial photo

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=276&y=3162&z=19&w=1

As you can see it was an island -- they made a causeway for maintenance ( modern day) only.  In the old days the only way was by steamship from Greenville, but first you had to take a train from where ever to Bangor then take a stage to Greenville.  The way Henry David Thoreau did.

People would spend the whole summer vacationing there.
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Buzz-sawyer

Beatiful..................... pappy
! ;)
You live in an amazing place!!
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

SwampDonkey

Termite:

That looks like a great place for a vacation. Are those lodges on the island? And are they private? That's quite a big lake too. Is it damed at the mouth to control for hydro-power? Do you fish for Toge or land locked salmon up there? I remember some big ones up on Trousers lake, above Plaster Rock, NB. I never fished for them, I just seen them around the dam. That's interesting about the flint rock there. I never seen any around here, but I suspect there is some of the rock type around Campbellton. I seen it mentioned in a mineralogy report (french language) for the Campbelton area.

Looks like quite a journey up there to the lake. You folks musta stayed at some camps up that way then.

I'll warm up the frying pan for ya termite. :D :)

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy

SD,
"Are those lodges on the island"
I believe the buildings are all privately owned.

"That's quite a big lake too"
42 miles long and 20 miles wide @ it's widest! (biggest in ME anyways and I believe east of the Mississippi)

"Is it damed at the mouth to control for hydro-power? "
It's damed with two. Just water control, there is or are hydro dams down stream. When I lived down in Greenville back in the early 70's Scot Paper would use the water to drive pulpwood downstream to there paper mill.

"Do you fish for Toque or land locked salmon up there? "
yup both

"You folks musta stayed at some camps up that way then. "
Nope we cheated  ;) Larry and his family live in Greenville about 20 mile away and trailered the boat up to Rockwood put in at a public landing and just had to motor across the water about 4 -5 miles to get to the back side of Kineo. :D His wife drove the truck and trailer back and we motored back down.  That is some big "puddle"  :o as Larry calls it.

This link will give you a better idea about vacating in the area  8)
http://mooseheadlake.org/

"I'll warm up the frying pan for ya termite."
What cha got cooking??

Buzz,
Maine is a very beautiful place and I've only scratched the surface on what there is to see.

When you comin' up  ;)

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Termite: ;)

I was gonna cook your salmon in this here buttered fry pan. :D :D

pappy

First I gotta git me one. I's been so busy building our camp and taken' care a business I ain't' had no time fer fishing dis summer.  So's you best turn down the heat from under dat pan -- wait -- maybe I gut's some venison down in the freezer.  ;D

I might be able to get out fishing this coming week -- just maybe 8) I got friends coming up 8)

Paschale

Here's a pic of Sunset over Lake Superior in the Keweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Paschale

This is one of my favorites.  I was with a buddy of mine in the Canadian Rockies, I think in Jasper.  It had been a cloudy, all day.  We arrived at this lake, and in the distance saw the threatening storm clouds, but the path and the whole left side of the bank was bathed in sunlight.  Very cool stuff!

Paschale

Here's a picture of a moonrise over the Portgage Canal near Houghton, Michigan.  I'll post two pictures:  the first one is the original, from a roll I developed after finding it in a cupboard after about two years.  Problems, as you can see!

The second one is me having a little fun doctoring it up with Photoshop.

sprucebunny

That's a great photo, Paschale. Very dramatic .love the contrasts.
( The one w/ the path on the left and mtns in center)
SwampDonkey- I like the ones with the different colors of water.
Someday I'll figure out how to post pics....
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Really cool Paschale  8)

The Peregrine yacht at the Peregrine fishing lodge in Naden Harbour in the Queen Charlotte Islands, BC Canada

Peregrine Lodge on Naden Harbour, Queen Charlottes, BC

Skedans is an old Haida village on the Queen Charlotte Islands, BC which was abandoned in the late 19th C after an outbreak of smallpox and other European diseases. Notice one remaining lodge in the lower right and an upended totem at its entrance. I only saw one totem standing. Well its been over a hundred years guys. ;)

Gordon Miller's historical rendition of the Skedans village.
http://www.queen-charlotte.com/gordon-miller.htm
Gordon has captured the spirit of the past from old photos, native stories and a little imagination. I have seen a number of 19C photos of Haida villages. Pretty cool place in those days.

Meziadin Lake in July, northwest BC Canada. The lake is glacier fed.

Panaramic view of Bear Glacier  near Meziadin, BC
Press and hold mouse and move left or right. ;)

Paschale

Here's a pic from the Canadian Rockies.  It's the Athabasca River, though I'm not sure of the spelling of that.

Thank You Sponsors!