iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Those wonderfull old Husqvarna's...model 61 Ranchers thru 272XP's

Started by weimedog, December 23, 2010, 02:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Disassembled the 272xp and noted the chain adjuster is missing the nylon end bushing.  One guide plate, outboard, is missing.  Looks like the chain has come off a few times based on the deep scratches on the case and damaged chain catch.  Found one muffler bolt loose and just settled inside the muffler.  A top cover screw was loose and had elongated the threaded hole.  All the plastic gas 1995 date codes and appears original.  One piston rings style piston.  Piston and bore look great.  Going to do a thread repair using an insert.  And look close at drive sprocket to see if that may be the cause of the chain issue.  Bar is in poor condition.  Rail areas on the bar has chipping.

DHansen

Rim sprocket worn and should have been replaced long ago.

Real1shepherd

The real danger is for a some novice to put a new chain on an old worn sprocket like that....probably grenade.

Kevin

DHansen

Threaded insert repair turn out nice.

Before and After photos.

I had a good condition Husqvarna 3/8 .058". 72DL bar, so I put that one on.  New clutch bearing and new chain adjuster.

DHansen

New air and fuel filters.  And I am done with the PM stuff.

DHansen

Do some of these 200 series saws use only the one inboard chain guide plate?

weimedog

Mine do as I don't have any outboard ones :) I just Run what I have at times.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

DHansen

Where any designed to only have the inboard guide plate?  

Spike60

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Again, thank you for the answers.  Clears that up for me.

DHansen

Was given these today.  Guy said he may have a 154se and 288xp service parts guide also.  I hope so, nice to have.

Spike60

There ya go! That's good stuff there and very important for us collector types. Get as much as you can get from him. I've got dozen Husky and Jonny binders full of that stuff. Particularly interesting when going back to 65/77, 240/340SG, 480's and all of Kevin's 2100 family.

Everything supposedly was scanned to electronic form, but the old stuff is hard to find. Not sure if this works on the Husky consumer site, but on the dealer site you can find most of it by doing a search of "service documents". Format would be something like, "IPL, 154SE" Could also try "IPL, 154SE Chain Saw". Otherwise it might list 54" mower decks and God know what else. Sometimes it doesn't like the "SE" or "XP" This search will turn up scans of the original paper IPL's just like DH has above. Better in some ways than the stuff in the EPC, (electronic parts catelog), which doesn't always show the different years. I addition to IPL's you might also be able to get service bulletins, "SB, 242XP" and workshop manuals, "WM, 288"

We're retiring/closing at the end of this year, and those books are all comimg home with me. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

A thanks to Kevin for the tip on the Marine grade liquid insulation.  I used it on three old saws since the recommendation.  And today I needed it for a coax cable for the internet.  I was out working on the firewood pile.  Drove a metal stake in the ground.  Felt like I cut through a small root.  With in a minute, my wife yells out we lost internet and cable.  Hmm!

DHansen

I have another question on this series of saws.  The top plastic cover, on the lip directly above the muffler, they tend to melt.  Obviously it is heat from the muffler.  But is this caused by running too lean, reduced air circulation from a dirty saw, restricted exhaust flow or something else?  Is there a way to prevent it.  I put a small metal heat shield on my 288.  But it seems so common to these models.  Any advise? 

DHansen

This is a photo of the cover on my 61.  I noted the white top 61 like the one in Weimedog photos and video has slots in the top above the muffler.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: DHansen on April 19, 2022, 07:23:28 PM
Was given these today.  Guy said he may have a 154se and 288xp service parts guide also.  I hope so, nice to have.

Yrs ago I bought a huge Husky dealer service binder filled with all kinds of goodies. But at the time, I was looking for a real hard copy 2100 SM. The digital copy making the rounds on the Internet has pics that looked like they were dipped in Hersey's chocolate.

I never did get a real hard copy 2100 SM. I had one once back in the day, but I think it must have been stolen. Last one I saw on eBay went for $50. I have the digital 'chocolate' copy for a reference.....

Kevin  

HolmenTree

I had to go over this 12 year old thread thinking I may have posted on here about the NOS 1993 272XP I found about 10 years ago.
It never had cut a stick of wood this 20 year old saw at the time I found it.

I put about 6 tanks through it but it didn't have the zip my old edition 372XP had. Of course it wasn't no where near broken in to make a fair comparison.  But it did have potential with a few mods which it never saw before I sold it to another collector.

I did find a NOS HD filter for it which needed the correct fitting intake spout. The 272XP was a bit more compact then my 562XP. I replaced the heavy dual dogs with a single aluminum bumper. Removed the heavy lead weight that was embedded in the chain brake lever.
Brought the weight down nicely.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Spike60

Hi Willard. Found it interesting that you thought the 272 was more compact than 562. But it actually makes sense in that the chassis originally came out as a 62cc saw; the 162SE. And I think the early twin coil saws still feel a little more compact than the newer twin coil models do.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

chet

Brother and I headed out to a very remote lake to fish yesterday. Needed a saw in case we had to cut our way in, so I grabbed one of my 61's. This one had not been fired up in probably 3 years. Fired up like I had just sat it down from a full day of work.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

HolmenTree

Quote from: Spike60 on May 30, 2022, 06:28:57 AM
Hi Willard. Found it interesting that you thought the 272 was more compact than 562. But it actually makes sense in that the chassis originally came out as a 62cc saw; the 162SE. And I think the early twin coil saws still feel a little more compact than the newer twin coil models do.
I noticed the difference right away comparing the 272 and 562 in their lengths.  But seeing the 10cc smaller displacement saw is rated for a 28" b/c it makes sense for the extra leverage for these modern ergonomic saws.
Husqvarna got it right the first time with the newly introduced 162SE profile way back in 1975-'76.
That era was the turning point in saw technology and by 1977 everyone else was stumbling over each other trying to keep up.
About that time our Manitoba logging camps were solely Jonsereds 621, 80 a saw design that has been available since 1970.
But by 1977 the 162SE were making an appearance in our camps one by one at a time from highly respected high production French Canadien crews coming out of northern Quebec.
As quick as the 162SE arrived as quick as our Jonsereds dealer BJ Sales started to supply Husqvarna bars, parts and securing a Husqvarna dealership.

Spike60

Around here in the Northeast the Jonsered dealer network was far more established than Husky's so they didn't lose much ground until the 630 was introduced. Still, it was about 4 years between the 162SE and the 630, which is a long time as far as the market was concerned. But Jonsered also had the 70E, which despite some extra weight had excellent build quality and plenty of low end grunt. Kind of a legendary saw in these parts. Funny thing though is that while the 70E seems a bit dated compared to the 162/630 chassis, they both came out at about the same time. Gives ya an idea of where things were going :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

Bob, the Jonsered 630 was definitely a good 162 clone. Better then the 162 in my opinion with its integrated choke/ fast idle control. It's funny Husqvarna didn't introduce it until the 372XP.
I wore out a couple of 630's but never had the opportunity to own a 670 which was my downfall.

A few weeks ago I sold my one man tree service and everything they came with it. I only kept 2 saws, my Jonsereds 70E that I'm restoring and my 1992 Stihl 066 hybrid with 064 flywheel and covers.
This is my first 70E and I haven't cut a stick with one yet. They really are an incredibly well built saw, it even would keep the inboard clutch purists happy.
It would cost today's saw manufacturers a fortune to retool and make an all magnesium 70E.
I do understand the loyalty of the  Jonsereds professional end users in the 1970's era from all the way up from the 601 to the 70E was their lack of "plastic".
Something the last Jonsereds model like the 910 acquired lots of in 1979. But Jonsereds did do a great job advertising that new "plastic" as the polymer from the wings of a F16 fighter jet. That certainly got my attention   :D.

Here's a few pics from a few weeks ago of when my tree service drove away out of my driveway for the last time with all my gear loaded up in the 8 yard trailer box. Was a sad moment with thoughts going back 20 years ago when I built it during my winter off season.

snobdds

I like these talks about the history of brands and models from the old-timers   ;D.

I'm sure in 40 years I will be showing my grandkids about carbs and how you actually had to tune them. 

Spike60

Willard I well know the those feelings because we are closing at the end of the year and they've already started. But for me more satisfaction than sad. Been a great, long run and we've done well. Someone may take it over, but so far no one that has approached us that has any industry experience. That means the chances for success are not that good. The 3 of us combined have about 80 years of experience and knowledge, and that's all going when we go. But still, it's an good opportunity for whoever wants to try. We're touting it as a "free business". Just move in and pay us the rent. :)

What do you say, snobuds? You and the grand kids? Funny thing is that I was at the gas station yesterday and a woman pulls into the pump next to me with Wyoming plates. I said, "Wyoming, huh? Can I go back with you?" But I'd hate to go to any state and have to admit that "I'm from NY", as thanks to people from NYC, the soiled image of New Yorkers is much deserved. :(
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

snobdds

Quote from: Spike60 on June 01, 2022, 06:16:40 AM
Willard I well know the those feelings because we are closing at the end of the year and they've already started. But for me more satisfaction than sad. Been a great, long run and we've done well. Someone may take it over, but so far no one that has approached us that has any industry experience. That means the chances for success are not that good. The 3 of us combined have about 80 years of experience and knowledge, and that's all going when we go. But still, it's an good opportunity for whoever wants to try. We're touting it as a "free business". Just move in and pay us the rent. :)

What do you say, snobuds? You and the grand kids? Funny thing is that I was at the gas station yesterday and a woman pulls into the pump next to me with Wyoming plates. I said, "Wyoming, huh? Can I go back with you?" But I'd hate to go to any state and have to admit that "I'm from NY", as thanks to people from NYC, the soiled image of New Yorkers is much deserved. :(
I have only been to NY once and that was the city.  However, my sister and her new husband are moving back to the Rochester area in a month where he is from.  I have been to two weddings with people from New York and they were both the funniest weddings by far, so my image of New Yorkers is definitely not soiled. 
Once I retire I would consider something like that.  But I have a ways to go before that. 

Thank You Sponsors!