iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HELP on ford diesel tractor

Started by dovetails, April 08, 2011, 11:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dovetails

Hi. My tractor just decided it don't want to start anymore! Parked it under the shelter sat,after using it for an hour or so,went to use it tuesday, and it will not start.Turns over good,but will not fire up.Also sounds like it don't have compression it should. I changed the fuel filter,had maybe a teaspoon full of water in it.Bleed the injector lines, getting fuel there ok.        When it's cold out,40's or lower, I just give it a wiff of starting fluid, it'll turn maybe twice and fire up.(saves wear and tear on the starter and battery) If I got a little to much either in it, it would either lock it up, or knock bad for a min,then run fine. Now I can squirt the either to it, and it don't do nothing,no knocking, no lock up, just keeps spinning over like I had not sprayed it at all. It's a 300 ford 3 cylinder. Friend says it has timeing gears, not chain so can't jump timeing,Pulled valve cover everything is moving ok,don't look like a stuck valve or bent pushrod.  You can feel it sucking air into the intake, and blowing out the exhust,so why won't it fire up, or lock up with either????? Battery fully charged, even tryed with jumpers off my truck, no difference  Any ideas??
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

red oaks lumber

not trying for the smart*** award but, is the kill pull pushed in ? if your using that much eather you might have done serious motor damage. you never want to dry sseize your motor.your rings mightr be gone leaving no compression to fire with.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

dovetails

Quote from: red oaks lumber on April 08, 2011, 11:13:24 AM
not trying for the smart*** award but, is the kill pull pushed in ? if your using that much eather you might have done serious motor damage. you never want to dry sseize your motor.your rings mightr be gone leaving no compression to fire with.

Yes, was first thing I checked, have tryed to start it with it out before.Even tryed pushing on the levr itself in case it wasn't moving far enough with the cable. I understand about not using to much either,thats why I just spray a little at the intake when using it. No way it could lose the rings that fast,setting for a couple days after running great a couple days before. Also too much should just make it bind up and not turn over,it keeps turning fine,like it is not getting into the cylinders. If it was a gas engine I would say it was not getting fire to the plugs....
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

beenthere

Do you have a fuel shutoff solenoid on that engine, or is it done with the kill lever?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dovetails

Quote from: beenthere on April 08, 2011, 11:34:59 AM
Do you have a fuel shutoff solenoid on that engine, or is it done with the kill lever?

cable pulls a lever on the injector pump,stopping the fuel..
in fact the generator don't charge,so after starting I just turn the key off,till next time I start it again,so the battery don't run down.Only thing that uses power is the starter itself.

iffy

If you crack one of the fittings where the fuel line attaches to one of the injectors as if you were going to bleed it and then crank it does it squirt any fuel out?

scsmith42

The fact that it's not hitting even with ether makes me suspect compression.  However, it would be odd for all cylinders to lose compression at the same time, unless there is a compression release valve that is stuck open, or the timing gear wore to the extent that it jumped time.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dovetails

Quote from: iffy on April 08, 2011, 12:32:46 PM
If you crack one of the fittings where the fuel line attaches to one of the injectors as if you were going to bleed it and then crank it does it squirt any fuel out?

Yes, all 3 squirt fuel when I tryed it.

dovetails

Quote from: scsmith42 on April 08, 2011, 12:52:40 PM
The fact that it's not hitting even with ether makes me suspect compression.  However, it would be odd for all cylinders to lose compression at the same time, unless there is a compression release valve that is stuck open, or the timing gear wore to the extent that it jumped time.

Even with low compression, wouldn't it fire the ether? Also all the valves seem to be working properly,just a little slack on pushrod when rocker arm is at top,go up and down fine. If out of timming,wouldn't it blow back through the intake,like a gas engine does? No blow back, steady pull into the intake manifold.Also it ran fine the other day,plenty of power,no funny noise ect.  As I said, I parked it and shut it down as I always do,now this problem.    The cable I pull to stop it moves a small lever on the injector pump, that would be a shutoff valve right,stopping the fuel flow,to kill the engine.  Also have tryed1/4 throtle, and full throtle, same results.

thecfarm

What do I know. I had a Ford truck with a fiber gear that got chewed up somehow.Something has to give on the front of the motor,I would think.Be it a timing chin or a fiber gear.With the gas motor the cam for the distributor cap was  not turning.But I was going down the road when this happened.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dovetails

Quote from: thecfarm on April 08, 2011, 01:14:39 PM
What do I know. I had a Ford truck with a fiber gear that got chewed up somehow.Something has to give on the front of the motor,I would think.Be it a timing chin or a fiber gear.With the gas motor the cam for the distributor cap was  not turning.But I was going down the road when this happened.

if the gear striped,or a chain broke, the cam does not turn to make the lifters go up and down, mines opening and closing the valves,  also no way all cylinders can have open valves at the same time to lose all compression at once.   (I've had a couple of those plastic timming gears come apart in the past also,replaced with steel gears!)

snowstorm

ok how many times did you either lock it????you say it only knocks for a min??too much either bends rods and breaks rings. more often breaks rings. first sign of lock up stop let it sit for at least 5min

isawlogs

I would guess that the timing is out. You probably have striped a tooth and now it aint where it should be.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

snowstorm

had a case that the valve keepers came off valve droped into the piston fixed that 2yrs later happened again. pull the valve cover see if a valve is stuck.

chevytaHOE5674

Sounds like you may have killed it with either. If you are using enough either to get the motor to lock up or knock you have done damage. You should only be spraying ether while the motor is spinning and only a little shot to get it going (I try not to use it on my ford diesel tractor at all)

Instead of ether use WD-40 from now on. Its less volatile and easier on the motor.

lumberjack48

I think its flooded, hold the shout off out on till it starts to fire, than push it in real slow, should take off

Just a thought
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

dovetails

Quote from: snowstorm on April 08, 2011, 07:11:45 PM
ok how many times did you either lock it????you say it only knocks for a min??too much either bends rods and breaks rings. more often breaks rings. first sign of lock up stop let it sit for at least 5min

ok how many times did you either lock it????----over the 15 years I have been running it, maybe 5 times total,all of them after running out of fuel and getting it restarted again,  if I give it just a bit too much on normal start up, it goes  knock,knock 3-5 times then is running fine, I don't just drownd it in ether every time I start it...  as I said, I've been doing this for 15 years with this tractor,and it gets used all the time, summer and winter. Never sets more than a week at the longest.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would guess that the timing is out. You probably have striped a tooth and now it aint where it should be.------Thats the next thing I plan to check, have friend with the book on it,going to give me a hand.He also is trying to borrow a compresion checker to test that also.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

had a case that the valve keepers came off valve droped into the piston fixed that 2yrs later happened again. pull the valve cover see if a valve is stuck----------valve cover is off, all valves look to be working properly,but could be out of timeing I suspose.  in 15 years of hard use, this is the first problem other than water in fuel a couple of times,even then it would try to start with ether. It even got rained on once and was blowing water out the exhust stack when I fired it up.Thats why it goes under the shelter when parked since then. Hope to be checking timming and compresion sat.sometime, will see what that tells me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like you may have killed it with either. If you are using enough either to get the motor to lock up or knock you have done damage. You should only be spraying ether while the motor is spinning ------YES     
and only a little shot to get it going----again YES
When it would not start on it's on, with temp about 70 degrees, then I tryed the ether...no change.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think its flooded, hold the shut off out on till it starts to fire, than push it in real slow, should take off

Has set over night, same thing next morning so not flooded   if the shut off is pulled out,it gets no fuel,and can't fire on an empty cylinder.

lumberjack48

T he reason i said this was because it happened to me, i worked on it 4 days and couldn't get it started, than a guy told me to hold the shut off out on till it started blowing white smoke or started to fire, than push it in real slow, it started right up. Its sure worth a try
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

you asked for help i wont sugar coat it. i have been working on this stuff since 1975 even got a degree in diesel tech somewhere. too much either it fires while the piston is coming up sumpin s gotta give. a diesel is compression ingiton it compresses the air in the cyl till it gets so hot it explodes at that time fuel is injected

chevytaHOE5674

Get a compression gauge and check compression. These fords do not like ether much at all and are known for holes blowing in pistons when ether is used too much. (Thus why I recommend WD-40.)

In the last 5 years I can only remember using ether on my ford 5000 1 or 2 times. And I too use is all the time.  

snowstorm

Quote from: lumberjack48 on April 08, 2011, 08:47:37 PM
T he reason i said this was because it happened to me, i worked on it 4 days and couldn't get it started, than a guy told me to hold the shut off out on till it started blowing white smoke or started to fire, than push it in real slow, it started right up. Its sure worth a try
[/quo   te]         to much fuel will wash the cyl down no oil to help seal the rings

sawman

I was running a trencher today, shut it off for dinner, went back to work and same symptoms, would turn over great but no start,  got to watching gauges etc, when i turned the switch on needles would jump but then nothing. jiggled the switch a bit then gauge needles would hold, fired right up. Might check the ignition switch.
 It was a diesel also.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

isawlogs

Sawman , you probably have an electric shut off , with the switch not working properly , no electricty was going to the shutoff to open it. After fiddling with it , it was able to open and let fuel in and start.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

lumberjack48

T his is what happened, that's why you want to pull the shut off so it can't get anymore fuel, the pistons are washed clean, theres no compression now.

You can do what you want, i know it worked

sawman

isawlogs,
    you are right , it did have electric shutoff, that slipped my mind when i posted
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Thank You Sponsors!