iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Radiator plugged

Started by redneck, May 20, 2011, 07:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck

I have a 208 timberjack with a 353 detroit.  Changed the fluid in my radiator recently and noticed that the  core is partially plugged.  I am thinking of removing it and cleaning it with something.   Anything that you guys have done that has worked well?  I am hoping that it won't start leaking after a good soaking with something.
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

trapper

try flushing it backward.  often works on car heater cores.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

redneck

I was reading this morning about using vinegar or coke to clean and flush the cooling system.  I would  hesitate puting that stuff in my engine and water pump even when flushing.   I think i am going to remove the rad and soak it in coke then flush it with my garden hose in reverse. 
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Burlkraft

As long as you have it out why not take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and leak tested?

It's a lot of screwin' around to put it back in and fill it up only to have to take it out again and then have it fixed.

You might just as well drink the Coke and the vinegar as that will do a better job of cleaning you out than your radiator.  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sjfarkas

I had a shop take the tanks off and "rod" the core out.  They take a piece of metal and physicaly push the junk out of the tubes.  I don't know if that is good in all aplications, but it worked in an old cat radiator.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

pineywoods

Take it to a radiator shop. Money well spent. Be carefull what you put in radiators, especially aluminum ones. Coke contains phosphoric acid, rough on aluminum.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WH_Conley

I used to have a radiator shop. Home remedies and additives were almost always money makers for me. I eventually got the radiator anyhow, some of the treatments did so much damage that I wound up selling a new one.
Bill

Burlkraft

Quote from: WH_Conley on May 22, 2011, 03:12:24 PM
I used to have a radiator shop. Home remedies and additives were almost always money makers for me. I eventually got the radiator anyhow, some of the treatments did so much damage that I wound up selling a new one.

Amen Bill!!  8)  8)  8)  8)

I have a shop and you should see some of the things guy's will dump in their radiator  stupid_smiley stupid_smiley stupid_smiley

Normally intelligent people that run good businesses will resort to snake oil every chance they get  :D :D :D :D

You are correct, It's much more profitable to install a new core and have a nice new warranty than to take the tanks off of an old rotted core and clean it up and patch it together!  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!