iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mouse Guards

Started by Brad_bb, August 17, 2011, 12:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Last Fall I installed the seals on the overhead doors of my newly installed garage doors.  2 days after installation, I find a mouse in a trap inside.  I then discover that the little turkey chewed a hole in my door seal to squeeze inside(see 1st picture).  So today I finally made mouse guards for the bottom of the seals.  I made them from some stainless brackets I found in the misc. hardware section at Menards.  The original parts are shown in the second pic as well as the customized brackets made from them that I installed.  Let's see 'em chew through stainless!

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SwampDonkey

Brad, I couldn't begin the keep the mice and squirrels out. I have to trap and bate them every year, just part of annual things to look forward to. ;D

Looks like you have a good solution there. Mice must be hungry to eat rubber. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

You will find it almost impossible to keep mice out. If they want in , they are coming in  ;) :) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

submarinesailor

Quote from: isawlogs on August 17, 2011, 08:15:39 AM
You will find it almost impossible to keep mice out. If they want in , they are coming in  ;) :) 

Concur - don't ask me how I know. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bruce

Magicman

I would be putting some mouse bait on the outside.  Feed um something that they can't digest.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

Using undigestives for the mice also can and will get other critters, and the food chain that fallows the mice you get.
  Make it as mice proof as you can and trap the ones that get in.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Brad_bb

Oh I've learned to deal with Mice over the years.  I've done pretty well at keeping things sealed up, annually checking for new entry points and closing them.  I keep traps strategically located on the inside and only get a couple per year as long as there isn't a new unknown entry hole.  They just quickly showed me that those type of door seals are susceptible entry points without guards.  The best traps I've found are the Victor snap traps with the 1"X1" yellow plastic tongue/trigger.  they are the most sensitive and are the better mouse trap.  I prefer peanut butter and it doesn't take much.  You don't want more than they can smell in a small area.  If you use too much they will smell it from outside and it will attract more mice!

D Hagens

Try these :D

Sold in most fine lumber stores 8)

DouginUtah

Less snakes = more mice.  :D  ;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Brad_bb

Some snakes would be good.  I used to see garder snakes here on the farm as a kid, but haven't seen any in the last 8 years.  I saw a prarie King snake about 5 years ago.  There are tons of mice(and Voles and Shrews) around here, I just don't understand where the snakes went?

Thank You Sponsors!