iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bank barn foundation has issues.

Started by Rooster, August 20, 2011, 08:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Today, I went to look at a TF dairy barn that was built in 1904.  It is built into the hill a bit with an earthen ramp that leads up to the driveway mow/bay.  There are no gutters on the barn and the erosion from the rain off the roof has even caused the rainwater/ snow melt from 8ft away to also run towards the foundation.  I could tell that this has been slowly pushing the stone foundation wall into the parlor or away from the bank for many years.  It has gotten so bad that the past owners have tried to shore up the wall from the inside and cabled the sill beam on the opposite wall back to concrete points in the parlor/basement floor to keep the barn from being bowed in the middle.  The foundation side walls that are tipped have also sunk enough that the center posts in the parlor (which have not sunk) are holding the center of the building a few inches higher than the outer walls.  You can see the result of this when looking down the length of the tie-beams and when looking at the roof plane, because the canted purlin posts sit very close to the center of the bent, and you can see how the two purlins are putting a bulge in the roof.

I wasn't able to take any pictures, but feel that this a typical situation for a lot of mid-west barns that no longer have cows in them, and I would like to share some solutions to this problem.
So, check back in later, when I post some photos and some ideas to help save this barn.

Rooster
920-728-0353
saveabarn@yahoo.com

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

shelbycharger400

sounds similar to a buddy's Amish built late 1800 to 1900's barn.  all of us partied at his house, and have contributed to helping fixing here and their.
your going to have to replace the cement walls
before digging out the existing walls, shore up the building walls with 6x6 and 8x8's.

On his barn, it was all wood framed foundation,  we did one wall at a time ( still only 1/2 done to date, its been years)  his dad did the best he could do years ago, and saved it, putting in 3/8 and 1/2 in cable at diagonals from main posts to upper floor joists , the one side put the triangle cement under 3 main posts and took out the lean,ect.
where we came in to the picture about 4 years later,  we used jacks and  cement blocks and such, with temporary posts, held up the floors. we cut the rot off the main posts, then put cement blocks under it, and shimmed it up.  then we dug a 12 in deep trench,  cleaned out the old rotted away timber, used boards (actually the hardboard siding from parents house) and poured  12 ft sections at a time with sack creete then  they put in 2x4 just to shore it up.  they insulated it and drywalled it.

their is still 2 walls to do,  but he is low on funds, not on labor , we all partied in their,  carpeted over the dirt, lights ect.

Thank You Sponsors!