iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stove pipe dampers

Started by HiTech, December 02, 2011, 08:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

Does anyone know where you can get a 6" stove pipe damper that measures almost 6" and really does close a stove down. The ones they sell here in northern New York are all 5 1/2" diameter though they are marked 6" and will not even slow a wood stove down. They are all Chinese made junk. Americans need to take America back. We need to see "Made in America" again. Thank you for any help you can give.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

paul case

I noticed the same when I installed my stove. they not only were real loose in the pipe, they also ad 3 holes in th middle. Who thunk this up?
Thankfully my stove will close up real tight on the bottom, so if the flue catches fire I can kill it. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

HiTech

West Carthage, New York....70 or so miles north of Syracuse near Watertown. I have been to 54 stores looking for one and only find the 5.5" ones.

Raider Bill

I have family and friends in that area. It's beautiful up there till winter.....
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Piston

Not sure if they're made in america or not, but check with Woodstock they have a lot of good quality stove accessories (well maybe not a lot, but they're good quality from what I have found)
www.woodstove.com go to the 'online store' or better yet just call them, excellent customer service and maybe they could send you in the right direction if they don't have what you need. 

They're in NH.

As a side note, right on their homepage over the the right of the page, is some excellent articles about woodstoves, wood burning, etc, in case anyone is interested. 

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum HiTech!

I am about an hour from W.Carthage!

Suggestion:  Looking for a stove pipe damper, I would try looking in some of the old "mom & pop" stores.
                   Some of them probably have a couple hanging on a nail in the back room.

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Any way that you could add a round piece of metal to it? I had no idea about that. With 54 stores and not finding one,the finding part will be hard.Or I should say it is hard.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HiTech

All may not be lost. I went to a hardware store and asked for a 6" damper. The guy brought one to me. I told him to measure it and he saw it was small. I showed him my old one and he measured it. That's the size they are supposed to be he said. He got on the phone with one of his suppliers and asked if they had any in stock. He was told they did and they weren't undersized...they were 6". I ordered two. lol Supposed to be here next Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed. Everything you buy today is cut on the small side. Saves Millions of $$$ for the CEO's big bonuses.

SwampDonkey

The ones I see here are 6", but still Chinese and with an Aluminum handle which is not as good as an iron one. These exact dampers where made in Canada a decade ago with iron handle. Chinese cast is junk I found out with those bar clamps and C clamps, every one I bought the last 3 years that was stamped with China all failed. Don't matter the brand. Junk! When you turn the screw the cast crumbles like iron filings onto your work piece.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HiTech

How true, I have had wrenches bend in my hand that were made in China. I am beginning to wonder if it is the way the Chinese make things or the way they are told to make them by the companies that used to be here. You are right Swamp Donkey everything they make is JUNK!.

WH_Conley

I try to buy American or Canadian, next preference European. If that don't work, off to Harbor Freight. I figure if I have to buy Chinese junk I may as well buy it at junk price. No need to pay the higher price for stuff that was made in the same plant. 
Bill

Ironwood

I have occasoinally found second hand old cast iron dampers, usually in 4", but there may be some 6" out there. I even have an antique Buffalo Forge one from a forge blower.

If ANYONE in the Daks region would have a "better" one it might be Old Forge Hardware in Old Forge. They carry and extensive inventory of both high and low quality items, Snow Neilley Axes, Filson, Woolrich Clothing, and the  like. Give them a call, and if you have never been there, stop by some time, cool store (loads of maps and special Daks literature). Also, there is a nice train ride seasonally south of town, and a nice diner wih LOTS of cool old tools hung EVERYWHERE. It is also one of the only Diesel Fuel spots (24 hour convientent store) in that part of the Daks  ;) :P There is also a logging "museum" north of town sponsored by a consortium of logging outfits.

I have spent ALOT of time up there (mostly in winter, although taught Rustic Furniture building at Great Camp Sagamore for a few summers)

You could also CUT your own, or have one made custom.

I have "SLID" through Carthage a few times, I had an Army buddy from Crogan NY. What you deal with up there is not lost on me . I spent two days in Columbus Ohio at the airport waiting for him to be able to fly out after a classic Tug Hill/ Adk snow storm. 40+" ::) Stay warm and God bless.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Coon

Peavey Mart has 6" dampers that are actually 6" and not 5 1/2"  ;)  I bought one earlier this fall and it somehow grew legs and walked away from here.  ::)  Can't find it here anywhere.  Stove parts as a whole are getting harder to find around here.  :(  I don't have any plans of being anywhere near a Peavey Mart store in the next month or so.  Guess I will have to make my own.  ;)  I only need it for my warm up shack for the bush.   ;D 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

HiTech

Got the dampers I ordered today...Yup!!! they were undersized also. I didn't even take them out of the store. Called Woodstock Stove Factory and they couldn't tell me the dimensions of their dampers. They are going to call back with the info. I can't believe in 4 years time you can't get a 6" damper anymore. Where the Hell is our country going?

SwampDonkey

Obviously they (manufacturers) already left.  >:(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shelbycharger400

i seen the same thing at fleet farm way undersize, im lucky that my stove has a dampner under the stove  . i say, take a piece of 1/4 plate, take a hole saw for 6 in bi metalic , it will be a qtr inch oversize i think, cut the hole, leave the pilot hole in the center, grind it down to size, weld 2 nuts to it for a steel crossbar.

JBS 181

Dont know if it matters wether or not they are cast. Either way get one  of your buddies that has a plasma machine and a circle cutter and cut one out. A plasma machine will do an excellent job and you can cut it the size you want it. It will cut cast just as well as mild steel. If you need a piece of cast find a store that sells cast skillets, buy one and whack the bottom out of it with the plasma machine.

HiTech

That is a good idea...never thought of a frying pan. lol It's just sad that we have to go through all this just because some CEO wants a hundred million $$$ Bonus. Americans need to take America back.

SwampDonkey

Well, when you want it cheap this is the result. Take a wood chisel, you gonna buy a $50 Sorbey or a $12 Chinese? I'll buy the Sorbey but an awfully lot will take the Chinese.

Onthesauk

In our area, code won't let you install one of those an longer, grows out of the EPA programs.  Think all the new legal stoves can slow the volume of air going in the stove but can't slow the exit.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

HiTech

My Soapstone stove from New Hampshire has a built in damper control. No problems there. The stove my father bought in 1929 needs to have a regular size damper to control the burn rate. This stove is in the cellar and keeps that warm plus will keep the house warm when weather is not too cold. I have always kept good sheet metal on it and the stove works beautiful when you can find a full size damper. Corporate greed seems to make that impossible today. Try to save money and not burn the fossil fuels and some Politician wants to make it Illegal. Big Corporations have bought all the politicians off and are ruining the country.

beenthere

HiTech
You seem pretty uptight with not finding this 6" damper.  ::)
I'd guess if there is a real demand, they would be available. Further am guessing there is not a real huge demand, but it may be good enough to start a small business making them (hint).
With a website that comes up with google search, seems it could be a worthwhile side business, even if you have to contract with a casting co. to make them for you. Would be nice to see them with "made in USA" instead of China.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HiTech

Up tight may not be the proper term. lol PO'd may better serve it. It just makes me mad that 4 years ago they had these dampers everywhere...now all of a sudden they can't provide them. I am now beginning to wonder if a 6" stovepipe is still 6". My state NY doesn't seem to want small business. They regulate them right out of business. Sad state of affairs.

SwampDonkey

Wait until you start using them crap aluminum handles. Watch the blood pressure. :D

Thank You Sponsors!