iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally pulled the trigger

Started by island boy, December 07, 2011, 12:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

island boy

It's been a while but finally purchased a used mill...TK B-20. Got it on and off the barge OK and set up at first location on island. I read the manual, did some maintenance, and then on the weekend went at the white pine stash I had. Things went relatively well, no one got hurt though I had my share of rookie mistakes... trying to cut to fast and bogging down, breaking a blade due to log shifting and making wasteful initial cuts. All in all I ended up with about a 1000 BF of rough sawn boards, a weekend of sawing under my belt and some sore muscles. Can't wait till next weekend :)

The mill came with about a dozen used blades. I was told some were sharp and some were not. I figured I should be able to easily determine which were which but when I tried I found otherwise. A few, obviously need resharpening but many I am not sure about... without putting them on and cutting with them how do I know if one is in need of sharpening? Also since it has been warm here in Maine 40-50 degree days I have been using a dish washing soap and water mixture for lubrication what do you recommend below freezing temps. Last question.... for you TK owners... do you find the log dog flips down when disengaged from log and needs to be held upright to reengage it? Any easy mods?

Magicman

First, Congratulations on the "new to you" TK !!!  Your learning curve will be OK because you have us to lean on and ask additional questions.

You will learn how a sharp blade feels when you drag the teeth across your palm.  I also have a small magnifying glass in my pocket. 

In your area, I addition to the dish soap, I would add a gallon of -32 windshield washer fluid.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jueston

congrats on the new mill, i'm sure it comes with an endless supply of both happy sawing and sore muscles.

ladylake

Congrats, the logs dog not flipping up is common on the B20.   Type in (maintaing a Timberking B20) in your search engine. You should find a Woodweb site that I posted some pics of the modd I did that works 100% of the time.  Pics are good, on the bottom its a flat piece of steel with a hardwood block screwed to it, with a half circle cut out that rides against the screw with 2 bed springs pulling the block against the threads.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customsawyer

Congrats on the mill. In your neck of the woods I would run strait washer fluid with some pine-sol in it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

redbeard

Hope you get lots of enjoyments with the B-20 l sure do with mine 6 years under my belt. Use some sticky red grease on the log dog keep it packed with grease. Also lube your jack screws with lithum grease by brush and keep those clean and greased alot. If there are no ABS pipe covers there easy to make. When you get the milling down you will be able to mill 1000 bf in a short days work.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You Da Man...Island Boy!

I could see me taking my sawmill off a barge.  :D :D :D

I'd have an LT 40 ANCHOR!

Good Luck sawing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Congratulations on your sawmill purchase!

A quick test for sharp vs dull blades is drag your fingernail (carefully) against a couple of teeth!

If the tooth bites in, the blade is sharp, if the blade glides across your fingernail, it's dull!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Best of luck with your new mill 8) 8). this time of year I use straight washer fluid ,the yellow stuff good to 35 below .the blue stuff is cheaper and is good to 20 below or so it says.but it fredzes up at the end where it comes out  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Yup, I misquoted on the wiper fluid mixture.  One gallon per 5 gallon is my mixture.

As stated above, straight -32 degree stuff with your dish soap is your formula.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

My mix is 1/2 used motor oil and 1/2 diesel for building material. And 1/3 bar and chain oil and 2/3 diesel for fine lumber. A drip about every 10 seconds does the trick. I use diesel year round. My lube tank is a gallon and a half and it normally lasts about 4000 bf.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

Congrats on the new mill! 8)

I don't use lube, because the little hose got caught on a log last spring and I've not fixed it yet. :D Haven't had any problems sawing either.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

island boy

Thanks everyone.... appreciate the advice. It's also reassuring  knowing people are out there willing to help.
Ladylake, thanks for the mod help.... will get on it this weekend.

thecfarm

Now you are sawing. I use half diesel and half bar and chain at a very SLOW drip. But I'm only sawing building material for my own use. I do not make anything that will be finished and require a finish to be put on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!