iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

truck logs yourself or hire it out

Started by MICKEY108, April 20, 2012, 06:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

i log by myself part-time cut about 3 tanem loads a week

Woodhauler

Every logger should buy his own truck! Its a great learning experience!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

smwwoody

I truck my own logs plus contract haul for other loggers.  I make more money contract hauling
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Maine372

theres not enough profit in three loads a week to cover owning a truck.

and you say you already log part time. so now youre going to log part time, truck part time and do whatever else part time too? i think youre spreading yourself a little thin.

in your shoes i would hire out trucking and focus on putting the wood on the landing.

Tramp Bushler

I don't know . How much is on a tandem ? If all you have to pay for is stumpage . Then having a truck does open more opportunities . I like to get every cost effective penny out of a tree that I can .
But on the other hand if I could find someone around here to do my trucking I would have them do it . At least until I could afford a good self loading log truck .
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

thecfarm

There are pro and cons of both side. I had more than one guy tell me I need a truck. Claim I can make more money trying to get $20 a 1000 more by driving all over the place.  ::) But my argument was,who cutting wood while I'm running around with the truck trying to make $100 more? But I had a real nice trucker too. Was not too many times the load would sit there 3 days waiting for him.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

acl2

I agree with maine372 the truck may be spreading you pretty thin. Its hard to cut and haul at the same time, and not to mention the constant tinkering a truck always needs. I dont believe the extra cost of the truck would be practical for a couple loads a week.   

Okrafarmer

Probably shouldn't get it unless you are trying to make a full-time career out of it. Then you could focus on trucking, picking up for other people, and cut wood only when you run out of things to do. Or, if you have a second person available to either cut wood or drive the truck, and are looking to expand that way. It depends on your local markets, too. Where do you live?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dale1948

Please stay away from the truck. The insurance, fuel, license, and dealing with rhe D.OT. will drive you nuts. Stay in the woods and hire out your trucking. A lot less stress.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Dale1948 on April 22, 2012, 09:24:34 AM
Please stay away from the truck. The insurance, fuel, license, and dealing with rhe D.OT. will drive you nuts. Stay in the woods and hire out your trucking. A lot less stress.

Dale is right about that. The DOT is a big problem. [note, I edited myself].

If you are on the fence and can't decide, I would go with not doing it. But if you have a good plan that involves keeping your truck daily up to ALL govt regulations-- some of which are just and right, and some of which are downright silly-- you could look into it. I would suggest seeing if there's a trucker you could ride around with for a week. You would learn a lot and get a better perspective for the problems involved. Of course most of us don't have the luxury of taking a week off to do that kind of thing, but you might lose that much time in a month trying to keep your truck on the road.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bill m

There are other things to consider when buying a truck. How close are the mills that you sell to and will they buy everything you cut. I have a small single axle truck for delivering log length firewood and loading trailer trucks. There are not enough mills near me to take everything I cut.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!