iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bolt length question

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 07, 2012, 12:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I tried to find it with a search, but I guess I didn't know what word to enter to find my answer.

What is the length of a "bolt" of wood?

Thanks

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

For a long time, it was used to refer to 4' length.
But then often the length can change with local usage of the term "bolt".

At least that is how I learned it. ;)
Bolt is usually modified with an adjective such as 4' bolt, veneer bolt, or pulpwood bolt, and could be about anything less than a sawlog (and maybe even some overlap). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

I did look it up under the FF dictionary and it said any piece from 2' to 8'.

I thought a bolt was 54" but it maybe just in some areas of the country.
Thanks for the reply.

Jim Rogers

Ron Scott

From the SAF Dictionary of Forestry

Bolt: a short piece of pulpwood; a short log
~Ron

Jim_Rogers

My customer, the National Park Service, needs a bolt of red oak for a project that they need to recreate.

I've told them that a bolt can be any length from 2' to 8' and that they needed to figure out what length they want, based on dimensions and not terms.

Hopefully they will be able to do that.

They need to split some red oak to a pattern of the new fireback for the iron pour on September 8. At the historic iron works site in Saugus, MA.

Thanks for all your advice.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

They have decided that 4' is a bolt to them.......

lumberjack48

The term bolt as far back as i can remember is a 8" and up, 100"s long, sound and straight, is a saw bolt, purchased by the cord. I cut Cedar, Pine, Ash, Balsam, Spruce, Tamarack, Oak, Poplar, Basswood, Birch, saw bolts. When cutting Pine logs, anything under 13" down to 8" i cut in to saw bolts. If you cut logs down to 8" they steal about 60%, saw bolts go by the cord. Anything under 8" to 4" is pulpwood. If i couldn't sell poplar [Aspen] saw bolts it all went as pulpwood, same with Balsam, Spruce, Tamarack. We cut Pine logs, Oak, Ash, Cedar,Birch, Basswood saw timber between Oct.1 and April 1.

When hauling wood in to Blandin Paper Co., if they new you were sorting saw bolts out, they wouldn't take your wood.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

chevytaHOE5674

UP here its 100" long. A Bolt is sort of like a face cord, no legal definition so it can be just about anything. 

lumberjack48

Heres a chart that shows saw bolts and pulpwood, length, size and price chart

http://www.biometrics.mtu.edu/fw4140/assignments/Vol%2016%20No%202_MI.pdf
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

in maine it means 50" wood. bolt wood = 50" white birch. oak for lobster trap stock or pallet wood

1270d

Hardwood bolts I cut are basically low grade sawlogs. They like them 8' 8" minimum down to 6 or 7" diameter.  Softwood bolts to the local potlatch studmill ar 99" +/- 1"   5" min diameter.  They re sticklers about the length as its pay by the ton

lumberjack48

I used to haul Jack Pine in to Potlatch stud mill they called it Special Jack, 100"s long, 5" min. We had them stick scale it, because Jack is so light sometimes, it went right in the hot pond.

Diameter has to be 8" and up to be classified as a Saw Bolt

Corley5

Around here bolts used to be pallet wood saw sticks.  Common lengths were 38", 42", 46", 50", 64", 72", and 100".  Since all those pallet mills are now closed bolts are now smaller low grade saw sticks  of hard or softwood 100" or 124" in length.  I cut lots of 50s.  They were my favorite.  Made lots of beer $$$$ cutting basswood bolts.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!