iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing black birch

Started by cutterboy, November 10, 2012, 06:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. I've been sawing black birch yesterday and today and I've forgotten how beautiful the lumber is. Take a look.

The sap wood is white with redish brown highlights.

The heart wood is a nice redish brown.

The last log I sawed today was an ugly log. It was the 4th log up the tree and had big knots and bumps and wasn't shaped well, but I sawed it anyway. I'm glad I did. The lumber had some interesting grain patterns.

Happy sawing, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

5quarter

That;s some really clean looking lumber and some nice contrast. I like that last pic...Sometimes ugly is only skin deep.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

bandmiller2

Cutts,thats some pretty grain,easy to tell you love cutting wood. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

mikeb1079

beautiful indeed.  very similar to the white birch i milled last fall.  it was my first experience with birch and i too was really impressed by the quality.  i hope i can get my hands on some more.....
anyways, nice job!
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Very nice. The only birch growing wild around here is river birch, which seems to be "a lesser son of greater sires" to quote LOTR.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Quebecnewf

I saw only white birch . It looks the same as the black birch you are sawing. Do you have a pic of the log. Why is it called black birch. Is the bark black. The white birch I saw looks very much like the yellow birch which is the one most used for woodworking lumber. The lumber once it is sawed is the same to look at and use. You cannot tell the difference.
Quebecnewf

Dave Shepard

Yes, the bark is dark gray. Smells minty when you cut into it. I've made black birch bark tea, does not taste minty. :D I've been noticing some interesting grain on some of my firewood pieces lately and I remembered I had cut a couple of black birches last fall. Black birch has very high mechanical properties, if I remember correctly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customdave

Yes I have been sawing white birch also with the same coloring as yours, but I really like your ugly log pics!!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

cutterboy

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 10, 2012, 08:40:51 PM
Cutts,thats some pretty grain,easy to tell you love cutting wood. Frank C.

I do Frank, I really do. Making the first cut is like opening a Christmas present.

cutterboy

White birch looks much like black birch when you open it up, but much different on the outside. Black birch is dark gray. Also the black birch is a harder wood and is the best smelling wood of all the wood I have sawed. It has a nice minty smell as Dave said.
I like sawing white birch too but I don,t have many big trees on my land. This is white birch I sawed last year.

cutterboy

Quebecnewf, this is a black birch.

They tend to grow tall and straight.

Ron Wenrich

We have quite a bit of it.  We saw it for a company that makes butcher block counter tops out of it. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

Interesting,I had to look it up in my book. I don't have any on my land,that I know of. It kinda only grows in the southern part of Maine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Not to be confused with Gray Birch, which we used to call "instant rotteness." Seems like the gray birch would rot within a year. But the gray birch is actually white in color with a lot of black streaks, wheras the black birch seems to actually be solid gray (maybe with some black streaks). We never had black birch at our house in Maine, only the white, yellow, and gray.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!